Author Topic: Garden bird identification  (Read 1531 times)

Garden bird identification
« on: 08 November, 2012, 11:40:57 pm »
I just had to rescue a bird from my kitchen, that one of the cats had brought in, and then managed to let escape.  There was only minimal interior damage, I'd guess from the cats trying to catch it, and knocking things everywhere, before it found a perch well out of their reach on top of the fridge.

I managed to catch it fairly easily in a bucket (having had previous practice, courtesy of Talisker), and released it outside.  It seemed to be largely unharmed, since it flew off in a fairly controlled manner.

I didn't take a photo of it, since I think it had been stressed enough, and I'm not really that good at identifying birds, but having a brief look at things like the RSPBs bird identification website, I can't work out what it was.

It wasn't a very small bird, but it was a bit smaller than a pigeon.  It didn't look much like a pigeon or dove however, a bit more sleek.  It seemed to be largely grey in colour, with a blue patch on the side of it's body.

The local environment is largely urban, so it's most likely a garden bird, but I can't identify them much beyond robins and blackbirds.

Any ideas?  I haven't found anything online which looks plausibly like what I saw, but birds colouration does seem to vary a lot from pictures in books and websites!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Re: Garden bird identification
« Reply #1 on: 09 November, 2012, 12:36:32 am »
A pigeon-sized (or collared dove size, which is a bit smaller) with a blue patch makes me think of a jay.  A white rump as it flew away would be a clue.  Your cats got off lightly.

« Reply #2 on: 09 November, 2012, 08:20:11 am »
I wondered about Jays, looking at pictures online.  None of the ones I saw pictures of, had blue patches, and it was one of the distinctive features which I easily recalled.

I couldn't see if it had a white rump, because it was dark outside when I released it, but I don't recall any patches of white.

Why did the cats get off lightly?  Are they aggressive? It did seem surprisingly un-stunned, previous birds have played dead, but this one didn't.
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 09 November, 2012, 08:22:22 am »
I was thinking jay, too, because it seems to have been a good year for them generally.
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 09 November, 2012, 08:34:29 am »
yep, I'd go for that too.  We've seen (and heard!) a few round here this year for the first time ever.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #5 on: 09 November, 2012, 08:35:46 am »
Anyone know why jays seem to be doing well this year? (I have noticed them much more this year as well).
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 09 November, 2012, 09:04:54 am »
I love jays.  The cats brought a greenfinch through the catflap last night and, judging from the state of the kitchen, they all partied hard.  The greenfinch was unscathed and flew off after breakfast.  We have very non-aggressive cats.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7 on: 09 November, 2012, 10:50:22 am »
I wondered about Jays, looking at pictures online.  None of the ones I saw pictures of, had blue patches, and it was one of the distinctive features which I easily recalled.

I couldn't see if it had a white rump, because it was dark outside when I released it, but I don't recall any patches of white.

Why did the cats get off lightly?  Are they aggressive? It did seem surprisingly un-stunned, previous birds have played dead, but this one didn't.

I think I was just expressing a preference!  I like cats but I hate what they do to the garden bird population (and it is a significant factor in the decline of garden birds, I understand).  Glad you managed to rescue yours, whatever it was!

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #8 on: 09 November, 2012, 11:00:10 am »
Anyone know why jays seem to be doing well this year? (I have noticed them much more this year as well).

I think they have been on the increase in suburban areas for some years now , I now regard them as a 'garden bird'. We have had them breeding very close by. A couple of years ago I had the pleasure of rescuing a young one from the middle of the road in front of my house and putting it in a bush in a neighbours garden.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?