Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 344198 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1100 on: 06 June, 2020, 05:25:51 pm »

The counties are generally ceremonial,

Actually the counties are administrative as per county councils etc.

Davef

« Reply #1101 on: 06 June, 2020, 06:02:33 pm »

This gpx I posted is of the ceremonial counties so Buckinghamshire and Bedfordshire are there despite now being broken up into various unitary authorities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #1102 on: 06 June, 2020, 07:00:25 pm »

This gpx I posted is of the ceremonial counties so Buckinghamshire and Bedfordshire are there despite now being broken up into various unitary authorities.

I used the government one, so administrative, but I coloured them according to ceremonial county.

« Reply #1103 on: 06 June, 2020, 08:41:19 pm »
You can also download UK ceremonial and historic county boundaries for free from Ordnance Survey:

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/business-government/tools-support/boundaryline-support
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #1104 on: 07 June, 2020, 06:21:46 pm »
Good to have some stray tiles close by .  Ardmore Point, shore track and over from Cardross on the track for 6 tiles. All within the 16km circle from the house. Running total  27588

« Reply #1105 on: 08 June, 2020, 03:25:52 pm »
One of the many benefits of wind farms, is the access roads.

So I decided to explore a new one near to me.  Great fun on a gravel bike.

This resulted in 14 new tiles, taking my total to 10021, and increasing my cluster by 6 to 719

Still on 18x18

:thumbsup:
@CorbieLinnRider

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1106 on: 09 June, 2020, 06:05:23 pm »
VV on Facebook just now:

Quote from: VeloViewer
Unexplored tile KML export is back 😀
This was previously available in the Chrome Extension but I've moved it to the main VeloViewer website and you'll now find it in the map settings popup on the Activities and Routes list pages.
You need to have either the max-square or max-cluster toggles enabled and if you zoom out too far it'll disable the button as the file will become too big. It now allows for a much larger export than the previous version as you can see in the Google Earth image. Note that there might be limitations on the size of the kml file in the apps that you use to view it so if it won't load, then perhaps zoom in a level and export a smaller file.
I've tested the export on Chrome, Safari and Firefox. Can someone let me know if it works or not in IE/Edge?
Note that on the Activities page the unexplored tiles are based on the current set of filters, so if you have the data filtered to just show runs, then the kml export will be the tiles unexplored by runs. Basically it'll be the inverse of whatever tiles are showing as ticked on the map at that time. Useful for those of you doing activity type specific max squares or a yearly cluster etc.
Another explorer tip: hover your mouse over the Max Square and Max Cluster to see their size in a tooltip (based on the activity filters).

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1107 on: 09 June, 2020, 06:30:03 pm »
Did some comedy off-roading and walking to bag an awkward tile. Max cluster up to 955.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #1108 on: 10 June, 2020, 12:02:59 pm »
VV on Facebook just now:

Quote from: VeloViewer
Unexplored tile KML export is back 😀
This was previously available in the Chrome Extension but I've moved it to the main VeloViewer website and you'll now find it in the map settings popup on the Activities and Routes list pages.
You need to have either the max-square or max-cluster toggles enabled and if you zoom out too far it'll disable the button as the file will become too big. It now allows for a much larger export than the previous version as you can see in the Google Earth image. Note that there might be limitations on the size of the kml file in the apps that you use to view it so if it won't load, then perhaps zoom in a level and export a smaller file.
I've tested the export on Chrome, Safari and Firefox. Can someone let me know if it works or not in IE/Edge?
Note that on the Activities page the unexplored tiles are based on the current set of filters, so if you have the data filtered to just show runs, then the kml export will be the tiles unexplored by runs. Basically it'll be the inverse of whatever tiles are showing as ticked on the map at that time. Useful for those of you doing activity type specific max squares or a yearly cluster etc.
Another explorer tip: hover your mouse over the Max Square and Max Cluster to see their size in a tooltip (based on the activity filters).

Great work from Ben, at last a KML filtered for just this current year, which adds to a bit of local fun revisiting off road trails.

I downloaded the level 9 overall unexplored KML and its huge, managed to get it to display on basecamp with much processor whirring.

« Reply #1109 on: 12 June, 2020, 08:00:32 pm »
Over the Kilpatrick hills to catch the last stray tile and on to the bike shop for 70kms on the mtb. Total 27600 tiles, blocked in by the sea lochs, Campsie hills and the eastern cental belt. Only option for scenery is Ayrshire  Renfrewshire and Inverclyde when everything opens up again.

Davef

« Reply #1110 on: 13 June, 2020, 09:57:14 am »

LIDL £9.99 bar bag ideal for wetsuit. Taking VV seriously.

Davef

« Reply #1111 on: 13 June, 2020, 10:18:03 am »
I check the max square leader board from time to time. In the last couple of days the number of people above me seems to have halved. Has there been a cull of some sort ?

« Reply #1112 on: 13 June, 2020, 12:23:21 pm »
I check the max square leader board from time to time. In the last couple of days the number of people above me seems to have halved. Has there been a cull of some sort ?

A little buglet in VeloViewer apparently. Ben says things will rectify themselves as riders all sync their latest rides.

Davef

« Reply #1113 on: 13 June, 2020, 01:46:05 pm »

A little buglet in VeloViewer apparently. Ben says things will rectify themselves as riders all sync their latest rides.
I must remember to take a screenshot before relegation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #1114 on: 14 June, 2020, 10:03:14 am »
Went paddling into the Forth again this morning at low tide.  Got stuck in sinking sand, as I crossed a river bed, losing my shoes a couple of times and then falling over when I tried too hard to extract myself.  Had to wade out to knee depth to bag the tile.  Means that I now have 15 tiles bounding the north side of the Forth rather than 12, though will need to canoe in Loch Leven and head off piste in the Ochils on foot to achieve 15 x15 north of the Forth.

« Reply #1115 on: 14 June, 2020, 04:29:03 pm »
On a cluster of 1349 (2264 tiles) now.  On yesterday's ride I managed to miss a tile right in the middle of the area I targeted; left it off the route plan.  And... back, at some point. 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1116 on: 15 June, 2020, 12:54:04 am »
On a cluster of 1349 (2264 tiles) now.

That cluster:tiles ratio, 0.60, is much higher than mine. Mine is 968/7270 = 0.13.

Davef

« Reply #1117 on: 15 June, 2020, 06:06:42 am »

That cluster:tiles ratio, 0.60, is much higher than mine. Mine is 968/7270 = 0.13.
Before my maxsquare addiction my cluster/tile was 68/6372 - 0.01. I am now 2131/9588. I believe the c/t ratio, as I shall now call it , is equal to the percentage of waking hours spent route planning.

« Reply #1118 on: 15 June, 2020, 09:12:22 am »
C:1212 T:18237

It's about how much of your riding is away from home. A: lots.

« Reply #1119 on: 15 June, 2020, 09:55:29 am »
Went up between East Kilbride and Newton Mearns trying to find some countryside. Looks like the farmers new cash crop is building plots for the commuter identikit slums. Ended up going south and west for views, that gave me 41 tiles.

« Reply #1120 on: 15 June, 2020, 11:00:14 am »
The Berrybush is a well known borders climb, but I'd never really explored the adjacent forest roads.

I cycled round the east side of St Mary's Loch, before climbing the Captain's Road to the forest, then descended down to the Ettrick Valley.

I then cycled to the bothy at the end of the valley for a coffee, before heading home into a strong North-Easterly

This resulted in 18 new tiles, taking my total to 10039.
My cluster is still at 719
Max square still on 18x18

:thumbsup:
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #1121 on: 15 June, 2020, 11:44:37 am »

Mine is 290/2196 = 0.13 too.
It's basically a form of surface area/volume ratio, the absolute best ratio you can get is a square n^2/(4n+n^2), which for a 20x20, is 0.83, at 100x100, 0.96.

Got to do some cluster connecting really...

« Reply #1122 on: 15 June, 2020, 02:29:06 pm »
Yes, higher local ride content, in the 'GPS years' .   :) 

cluster0620 by ao, on Flickr

+ North Yorkshire...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #1123 on: 15 June, 2020, 03:13:32 pm »
Went paddling into the Forth again this morning at low tide.  Got stuck in sinking sand, as I crossed a river bed, losing my shoes a couple of times and then falling over when I tried too hard to extract myself.  Had to wade out to knee depth to bag the tile.  Means that I now have 15 tiles bounding the north side of the Forth rather than 12, though will need to canoe in Loch Leven and head off piste in the Ochils on foot to achieve 15 x15 north of the Forth.

That's some dedication, I'm not sure if I can be arsed watching for very low tides to claim bits of tentsmuir sands; or bother coasting round the base at Leuchars.

I've still not got my cluster encasing the firth of tay yet either, largelly because it means doing some of the harder carse of gowrie escape climbs.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1124 on: 16 June, 2020, 01:16:20 am »
C:1212 T:18237

It's about how much of your riding is away from home. A: lots.

Mine's about 0.1, which is quite low considering.  I conclude this is because (until I started venturing into the nasty bits out of lockdown boredom) much of the riding I do near home tends to be repeating the same handful of non-shit routes over and over.