Author Topic: Pantour hubs on a Brompton...?  (Read 4387 times)

Sigurd Mudtracker

Pantour hubs on a Brompton...?
« on: 10 June, 2010, 09:57:46 pm »
At the risk of offending the Brompton faithful, I've been browsing C H White's Dahon Spares website and have found a cheap(ish) source of Pantour hubs.  I'd contemplated them before, but ordering from the USA was prohibitively expensive, both in terms of cost price and subsequent additions (customs duty and shipping).

However, here are Pantours for £40 - at 74mm, Brompton width, but with only 14 holes.  Could I build this into a 28 hole rim, missing out every other spoke hole?  14 spokes seems remarkably few and I can see everything collapsing at the sight of a pothole in the road.  I'm aware that Pantours are not famed for longevity but this would seem a relatively inexpensive way of giving them a go.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Pantour hubs on a Brompton...?
« Reply #1 on: 10 June, 2010, 10:11:39 pm »
There is a better solution.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2010, 04:49:46 pm »
Hasn't that caused enough trouble already?   ;D

I have identified another problem - which is finding a rim with a deep enough brake track.  These seem to be in the USA, so we're back to the shipping and customs issues again.

Not to mention the question of whether or not I'm trying to solve something that isn't really a problem.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2010, 04:56:53 pm »
Just get Argos Cycles to build you some Diadrant Brompton forks  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #4 on: 14 July, 2010, 06:24:10 pm »
I actually have a spare Pantour hub, very recently had the bearings professionally and at much expense changed as well.

I would however caution you about your enthusiasm (why do you think I took it off my Dahon Speed Pro).

If you persevere in your enthusiasm do feel free to get in touch.

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #5 on: 14 July, 2010, 10:39:42 pm »
Rest assured, after much reading about Pantour hubs my ardour has cooled....

« Reply #6 on: 15 July, 2010, 08:13:49 pm »
Rest assured, after much reading about Pantour hubs my ardour has cooled....

never make a car salesman would I?  :)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 02 September, 2023, 09:57:01 pm »
Reviving a zombie thread, a friend has recently purchased a Dahon with a Pantour front hub. As might be expected, the bearings are rusted solid and I expect the elastomers were toast long ago.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/364248/Pantour-Pantour-Suspension-Hub.html gives some guidance but not the bearing size or elastomer durometer.

https://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/forum/main-category/specialty-discussions/technical-discussion/86400-pantour-hub-spares-revisited seems the best guide to keeping a Pantour hub running well. Does anybody know of a better guide?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...