Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 2946002 times)

Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #26225 on: 15 February, 2021, 03:25:56 pm »
Remind me why some people on ebay have a bidding exchange hours in advance of the item's end time.   ???
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #26226 on: 23 February, 2021, 02:24:52 pm »
BMJ announced they'd start charging for obituaries as of 1 February 2021.
This caused a Twitterstorm yesterday.
My response was simply WTAF.

They've retracted now.

The Emergency Medicine family is reeling, following the recent announcement of the death of one of our heroes. I think he was a little younger than me.
We were horrified anyone could be CHARGED for sharing tributes and appreciation.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #26227 on: 23 February, 2021, 03:37:20 pm »
Remind me why some people on ebay have a bidding exchange hours in advance of the item's end time.   ???
I tend to put my maximum bid in and walk away. If someone else were to bid against my current winning bid the system would auto bid against them by an increment. If that person was trying to work out where my max bid was and kept putting manual bids in then the system would keep incrementing until it reached my maximum. A more interesting question is why theses days anyone would bid on something on eBay as if it were an auction rather than a shop front for Del Boy and co. I either make an offer, or pay the buy it now price if it’s something I want and I consider the price is right. Snipping software makes placing a bid pointless.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #26228 on: 23 February, 2021, 03:55:51 pm »
I tend to put my maximum bid in and walk away. If someone else were to bid against my current winning bid the system would auto bid against them by an increment. If that person was trying to work out where my max bid was and kept putting manual bids in then the system would keep incrementing until it reached my maximum.

Is that 'auto bid' a std ebay feature?  Wasn't aware of it.

A more interesting question is why theses days anyone would bid on something on eBay as if it were an auction rather than a shop front for Del Boy and co. I either make an offer, or pay the buy it now price if it’s something I want and I consider the price is right. Snipping software makes placing a bid pointless.

I guess it depends of the items etc.  I generally haven't had many probs with bike bits - some good kit.  I tend to steer clear of higher price stuff.  Family member buys and sells potential bargainous camera kit - but has had bad experiences.  Can't be bothered with that agro.

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Yet another reason to absolutely love Dolly

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56261397

Heck, her voice is damn good for a 75 year old.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

I have been Censused.  Online,  not in person , so I've no excuse to crack open the Amarone.... :P
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
We were censused last year.  Some sort of development practice round it would seem.  The only question they didn't ask was which bollock hung lower.  :hand:
Doesn't get us out of having to do it again this year.  :(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

"chairman resigns over social media post"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-56273997

He tried.    It was clumsy for sure, but reading the whole post makes it clear what his intention was. 

ian

They don't care what his intention was though, that's secondary to the anger of the righteous. To Twitter, comrades!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
In which case his tweet should go in the Grammar thread. He put a Full Stop after Catholics. It should have been a softer mark, maybe a semi-colon.
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I have been Censused.  Online,  not in person , so I've no excuse to crack open the Amarone.... :P
I love that to order a paper form, you have to go online! Okay, there is a phone number too and possibly it even has a human on it. Presumably deaf technophobes don't exist and the blind will mistake it for another "great offers on Virgin Media!" circular.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
They don't care what his intention was though, that's secondary to the anger of the righteous. To Twitter, comrades!

The level of outrage isn't really the point. It's more about his competence as the public face of the company. If I were on the company's board, I would take a dim view of that post, even though I understand what he meant.

In his position, he either should know better or should employ people to protect him against himself. The company I work for has a very active social media presence, but nothing will ever be posted, not even by the CEO, without being vetted internally.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

Well, I agree that I wouldn't have written it like that, but then his intent was clear and maybe we should be allowed to be risque and provocative with language. Otherwise, it's anodyne by-committee speak, where every statement has been poked and vetted to be sure that no one, anywhere can conceivably find a way to be offended by it.

That said, a part of me is cynical enough to know that PR firms often don't do this kind of thing by accident and hey, they're now in the news.

citoyen

maybe we should be allowed to be risque and provocative with language

If that was his intention, there are countless other ways he could have gone about it.

Besides, it's a problematic line even if you understand his meaning - to quote a friend, "When people tell me they don't see the colour of my skin, I call bullshit."

That said, a part of me is cynical enough to know that PR firms often don't do this kind of thing by accident and hey, they're now in the news.

True. Though the chap has resigned over it, which is a high price to pay for a PR stunt.

ian

Well, it might have been the last hurrah from a CEO who was leaving anyway and setting up his own partnership. My wife used to work for a big PR company, they're more Machiavellian than even my cynicism credited them for, and they were already the most evil PR firm in the world. Satan had a hotline installed to the CEO's office.

The modern art of interpretative offence, I'm sorry, isn't something I can agree with. It's a gradual slide into a world where everything written or said is pored over by committee and signed-off by lawyers.

citoyen

The modern art of interpretative offence, I'm sorry, isn't something I can agree with.

Ironic?

I wouldn't be worried about triggering a few snowflakes. Noisy outrage is just a distraction and not really the point.

Corporate social media posts don't have to be completely anodyne. But if you want to be provocative, you still have to get the tone right. To me, that bloke comes across sounding more like Alan Partridge or Piers Morgan. Not edgy, just a dick.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
I think his resignation is overly hasty. The sensible people who call out fail usually don't want people to resign unless it's really unforgiveable rather than just stupid/crass, they want them to stay and make the problems that led to the fail better. I'm trending towards no publicity is bad publicity and ulterior motives.

citoyen

I think his resignation is overly hasty.

I think ian may well be right - he was probably leaving anyway.

Beardy

• Shedist
Should I have received instructions to complete the census? I don’t remember anything arriving.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Clan Ham is n+1  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mother and baby doing well, girl, 2.9Kg

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Well done the lot of yiz.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
Yeah, a baby.

Congratulations to Ma and Pa.

Cudzoziemiec

Should I have received instructions to complete the census? I don’t remember anything arriving.
A letter telling you to complete it on 21st March. Plenty time yet.

Cudzoziemiec

Mother and baby doing well, girl, 2.9Kg
Congratulations to Clan Ham and the Hamlet.  :)

citoyen

Congratulations!