Author Topic: "Security Tool" virus  (Read 1632 times)

"Security Tool" virus
« on: 15 April, 2010, 12:23:44 pm »
My son has managed to infect our home computor with this virus/malware.  It claims to be a security tool, but in reality it just stops the computor working (and possibly far worse).  A quick google indicates that this is not very easy to get rid of, plus I am concerned that some of the sites recomend downloading software to sort it out and without knowing what I am really downloading I could just be making matters worse.  Wiki Security has a page on it - is this a genuine Wiki site?, it has the Wiki logo and appears kosher.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, although it has to be idiot proof as a computor idiot will be trying to sort out the problem.  I don't need any ideas for sanctions against the idiot who caused the problem initially although I may need a good defence lawyer.

Re: "Security Tool" virus
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2010, 12:49:07 pm »
TBH, if it's your main PC & has any personal details at all I would format & reinstall Windows as you can never be sure that the PC is 100% clean.

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2010, 01:23:16 pm »
This

How to remove The Security Tool virus from your PC News - PC Advisor

looks relatively straightforward and quick -  though it does require messing about in the registry, it tells you just what to delete and doesn't suggest downloading anything.

I'd do what this suggests, then update your AV software and do a full scan.

« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2010, 07:11:10 pm »
This

How to remove The Security Tool virus from your PC News - PC Advisor

looks relatively straightforward and quick -  though it does require messing about in the registry, it tells you just what to delete and doesn't suggest downloading anything.

I'd do what this suggests, then update your AV software and do a full scan.

That appears to have solved the problem (famous last words) and was fairly easy to do even for someone as computor illiterate as me.