Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951819 times)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6825 on: 24 December, 2016, 07:29:16 pm »
Can't remember if I put this one up, but the Norwegian (in English) zombie Nazi sequel "Dead Snow 2--Red or Dead"

It is wonderfully and delightfully tongue in cheek, and deliciously inventive. A particular PMSL scene:
(click to show/hide)

I can't believe I actually watched this nonsense  ;D

In its own way it really is quite brilliant. Final scene is by far the most disturbing.
Brilliant, isn't it?
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6826 on: 24 December, 2016, 10:53:05 pm »
Die Hard.  It totally holds up.

hillbilly

« Reply #6827 on: 24 December, 2016, 11:18:57 pm »
Groundhog Day. Ditto.

Chris S

« Reply #6828 on: 24 December, 2016, 11:33:47 pm »
Love Actually.

The amusing moments are still amusing. They probably always will be; as will the awkward ones. That's how Richard Curtis' movies work, love 'em or loathe 'em.

« Reply #6829 on: 24 December, 2016, 11:42:55 pm »
The Room, highly unrecommended by a lad at work. I got the gist, and asked if it was like Plan 9 from Outer Space, to which he replied "it makes Plan 9 from Outer Space look like Citizen Kane".

It is really, really bad. Script, acting, plot, for some reason a rooftop scene with a green screen, there's nothing good in it, but it's weirdly compelling.

The IMDB trivia page is awesome: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368226/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv

« Reply #6830 on: 25 December, 2016, 12:01:45 am »
Die Hard whilst putting together Marvel Lego and drinking whisky  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #6831 on: 25 December, 2016, 07:37:01 pm »
Love Actually.

The amusing moments are still amusing. They probably always will be; as will the awkward ones. That's how Richard Curtis' movies work, love 'em or loathe 'em.

I find him too White middle class and twee. In an exclusive way. I mean, how can you make a movie called Notting Hill with no Black people. He's selling an invented snobby version of what it means to be UK to the overseas lot.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6832 on: 25 December, 2016, 10:00:36 pm »
He's not documenting the history of the Roman Empire.

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6833 on: 25 December, 2016, 10:40:17 pm »
Die Hard 2.  Not a patch on the original.  The implausible explosion at the end was quite good.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #6834 on: 26 December, 2016, 08:46:27 am »
Die Hard 2.  Not a patch on the original.  The implausible explosion at the end was quite good.

Somehow i've still not managed to ever actually watch Die Hard 2 all the way through despite trying several times and having seen all the others several times.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #6835 on: 26 December, 2016, 09:36:09 am »
Hobson's Choice.  Some dodgy and a little shaky at that "generic northern English" accents, but still makes me grin.  Keep an eye out for Prunella Scales as one of old man Hobson's daughters.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6836 on: 26 December, 2016, 10:38:21 am »
Parkland, following Torslanda's recommendation, for which thanks.  Bloody good. What a carve-up, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6837 on: 26 December, 2016, 11:46:27 pm »
Die hard With A Vengeance.  A solid third act.  Shame they never made any more films in the trilogy.

« Reply #6838 on: 26 December, 2016, 11:52:29 pm »
I dunno, I thought 4 was good fun. 5 was almost entirely forgettable though

« Reply #6839 on: 26 December, 2016, 11:56:52 pm »
The Equalizer.

Denzel's got skilz!
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #6840 on: 27 December, 2016, 12:16:03 am »
We watched that again the other night. It's lots of fun. The song playing in the background of the big final fight is damn good as well.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6841 on: 27 December, 2016, 12:21:50 am »
I dunno, I thought 4 was good fun. 5 was almost entirely forgettable though

I think I have a higher tolerance for ridiculous physics than I do for ridiculous computer hacking.  At least massive explosions and comedy car chases are entertaining.

5 was literally forgettable, in that I watched it a couple of years ago, but had recycled all the neurons and only remembered it existed when I googled for the plot synopsis of 4 to remind me why I thought it was so bad.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6842 on: 27 December, 2016, 08:50:21 am »
Saving Mr Banks

Just wonderful. Emma Thompson totally makes it.  Not a classic, as the back-story doesnt work as well as the front(??)-story, and the two halves don't gel perfectly. But just about every scene with Thompson in is just lovely.

If you dont already love Thompson (and have quite a high tolerance for Tom Hanks) this probably isn't for you. Otherwise, it's a must see.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6843 on: 27 December, 2016, 10:25:48 am »
DH5 had ridiculous physics too, notably the time machine that allowed Bruce and Junior to drive from Moscow to the middle of Ukraine in ten minutes.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Steph

« Reply #6844 on: 27 December, 2016, 01:06:51 pm »
I sat and watched Hellboy. I enjoyed it, as it is supremely silly and over the top. Clockwork nazi cyborg assassins is da biz. We'll ignore the slight discrepancy of a nazi establishment on a Scottish island in the same way as we ignored the one in Egypt in ROTLA.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6845 on: 27 December, 2016, 01:33:24 pm »
Last night, 'cos Boxing Day, Eczemas, etc., we thought Les Misérables might be palatable (Russell Crowe in a musical, zeece vee must see etc.) Dear Lord it was pitiful. Crowe has a range of two notes and they're both horrible. We know the poor bugger has a vast ego but even that must have taken a knock. Hugh Jackman can certainly bellow, though, he had us wincing. So we gave up 20 minutes in and watched some miserable Welsh krimi that herself enjoyed. I couldn't bring myself to give a shit about any of the characters and went to sleep. Hinterland it was called, hinter being derived from the German for backside.  Still, at least we got a look at Aber, whence came my daughter homeward 15 yrs ago with deep depression. My only other memory of the place dates from 1976 and involves a freezing hotel and a leathern steak. Bleh.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #6846 on: 27 December, 2016, 01:47:33 pm »
I sat and watched Hellboy. I enjoyed it, as it is supremely silly and over the top. Clockwork nazi cyborg assassins is da biz. We'll ignore the slight discrepancy of a nazi establishment on a Scottish island in the same way as we ignored the one in Egypt in ROTLA.
Love that film. The sequel is even better.

Steph

« Reply #6847 on: 27 December, 2016, 02:41:46 pm »
The sequel is for my days off after tomorrow. DemiBros included and troll market extras.

fuzzy

« Reply #6848 on: 28 December, 2016, 11:20:16 am »
Captain Phillips.

Tom Hanks does Tom Hanks very well doesn't he?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6849 on: 28 December, 2016, 12:52:56 pm »
Love that film. The sequel is even better.

I shall watch this after I come back from the toothwright this afternoon. Gotta have some compensation for a kyboshed afternoon's cycling.