Author Topic: The FA Cup.  (Read 11587 times)

The FA Cup.
« on: 28 May, 2017, 06:34:28 am »
Arsenal 2; Chelsea only 1.

I was quite surprised.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: The FA Cup.
« Reply #1 on: 28 May, 2017, 08:50:11 am »
It was a good match for a change.

So, now what for Arsene?
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2 on: 28 May, 2017, 01:00:09 pm »
Red triumphs over blue.  'tis an omen, I tells 'ee!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

essexian

« Reply #3 on: 29 May, 2017, 07:45:51 am »
As an Arsenal supporter since I first saw them play as a boy in 1968, I must admit I was extremely pleased not only by the result but by how well the team played.   ;D

So okay we may have finished outside the top 4 for the first time in 20 odd years, but at least we won something.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4 on: 05 June, 2017, 01:30:43 pm »
As an Arsenal supporter since I first saw them play as a boy in 1968, I must admit I was extremely pleased not only by the result but by how well the team played.   ;D

So okay we may have finished outside the top 4 for the first time in 20 odd years, but at least we won something.

I'm a Man U fan and finishing 5th is a curse unless you win the Europa League.  A huge amount of extra games, on a Thursday, in places where former Soviet countries mine Uranium, in February.

It makes it even harder to finish top-4. 

Fortunately we won it and get a free pass into the Champions League.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #5 on: 05 June, 2017, 01:33:49 pm »
This should be in first world problems, I think.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 07 January, 2018, 06:17:32 pm »
Why is it that one never tires of enjoying the misfortunes of Leeds United F.C.?

:)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 07 January, 2018, 08:39:57 pm »
It was equally gratifying to observe the look on Juge Roban Wenger's face when Arsenal went down 4-2 to Forest.  Like unto a smacked Arse, in fact.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #8 on: 07 January, 2018, 09:00:29 pm »
Yes, I noticed that but I was unaware until I checked that NF are in the second division.

Edit: Leeds seem to have come adrift against supposedly "lesser" sides quite a few times over the years. The first I was aware of was Colchester in about 1971. I was still at school. Sunderland wasn't long afterwards ('73?). My younger son has a pal who supports two teams - Leeds, and Histon, near Cambridge. He was speculating one day who he would support if the two were to meet in the FA Cup. "Of course, it would be very one-sided..." said he. I don't think Histon 1 - 0 Leeds Utd. is all that one-sided.

And now Newport. Are they even a league side? (googles). Oh yes, there they are, 11th in Division 4.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #9 on: 07 January, 2018, 09:49:24 pm »
I think these results are quite normal.  Most 'big'  clubs tend to field their second teams, or ' the kids' in early cup games.
Sort of "If we get through, we get through.  If we don't, we don't.  So what?" philosophy.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #10 on: 07 January, 2018, 09:55:04 pm »
You certainly get some every year. When Liverpool can to Southend they fielded their full team. Mind you, that was 1978.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #11 on: 07 January, 2018, 11:13:21 pm »
Yesterday I had the pleasure of seeing a 'big' team play the second string team of a Div One team.

(They kept their bigger guns back for tuesdays match against Man City)

« Reply #12 on: 12 January, 2018, 02:35:45 pm »
And now Newport. Are they even a league side? (googles). Oh yes, there they are, 11th in Division 4.
Newport had a miraculous escape last year (they won something like 7 of their last 11 games, including the last one with 5 minutes left) to finish 1 place ahead of the relegation zone. This year they have been reasonably competitive in the league (only 4 or 5 points off the playoffs), and done OK in the cups.
They lost 5-1 in the EFL cup at Leeds earlier this season, so Leeds made 9 changes for the FA cup game.  Ooops. :)

Spurs visit Rodney Parade in the 4th round. They will be astounded by the lack of grass on the pitch - currently Newport County share the stadium with Newport Gwent Dragons (professional rugbi) and Newport Rugby Club (amateur rugbi). Should be interesting...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #13 on: 28 January, 2018, 12:43:47 am »
Newport were perhaps a little unlucky not to beat Spurs today, the latter equalising a few minutes from time. They will have an early visit to Wembley for the replay, it seems.

I am totally unfamiliar with the VAR business with football. Presumably this has recently been introduced. It was instrumental in a WBA goal v Liverpool being disallowed. The impression I gained was that someone was adjudged to be offside, but the "goal" was a direct header from a corner and you can't (so far as I am aware) be offside at a corner.

What am I missing?

« Reply #14 on: 28 January, 2018, 10:14:51 am »
The impression I gained was that someone was adjudged to be offside, but the "goal" was a direct header from a corner and you can't (so far as I am aware) be offside at a corner.

What am I missing?

I think it was the WB player who impeded the goalie who was adjudged as being off-side rather than the one who headed the ball.

In any case, a lamentable performance from the bi-polar Reds.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #15 on: 28 January, 2018, 02:06:52 pm »
I didn't think anyone could be offside at a corner because everyone is behind the ball when it is struck.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #16 on: 28 January, 2018, 02:13:05 pm »
It wasn't the corner that he was offside from, but the header towards goal that came from the corner.

It's about 1:15 on the highlights here: -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42756218
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #17 on: 28 January, 2018, 02:18:19 pm »
... and this is (probably) the offence:

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

Offside offence

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
interfering with an opponent by:
preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision

*OR*

In situations where:

a player moving from, or standing in, an offside position is in the way of an opponent and interferes with the movement of the opponent towards the ball this is an offside offence if it impacts on the ability of the opponent to play or challenge for the ball; if the player moves into the way of an opponent and impedes the opponent's progress (e.g blocks the opponent) the offence should be penalised under Law 12
[fouls/misconduct]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #18 on: 28 January, 2018, 02:30:51 pm »
I didn't think anyone could be offside at a corner because everyone is behind the ball when it is struck.

You can't be offside from a corner because the rules state you can't (nor can you be offside from a throw-in or a goal kick) regardless of position.

People can be in front of the ball when a corner is taken as the corner can be taken anywhere within the arc that is 1 yard from the corner flag, so it could be taken from against the touchline and 1 yard away from the goal line, anyone standing closer to the goal than this is in front of the ball.

I think it was the WB player who impeded the goalie who was adjudged as being off-side rather than the one who headed the ball.

Yes, by impeding the goalie he [Bareth Garry] was deemed to be "interfering with play" and therefore offside even though he didn't touch the ball as it went past him.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #19 on: 28 January, 2018, 02:31:57 pm »
Ah. Thanks. Even though the header was the first touch from the corner, there was a guy goal-side of the header who was impeding the goalie's view of the attacker. That makes some sense.

« Reply #20 on: 28 January, 2018, 02:42:23 pm »
... and this is (probably) the offence:

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

Or
clearly attempting to play a ball which is close to him when this action impacts on an opponent

There's nothing controversial in the decision, it's only newsworthy because the ref used the VAR to confirm it.  Would he have allowed the goal without it?  We'll never know, but I expect he'd have been criticised if he had, it's clearly offside from the camera angle, less so from his position. 
This is what VAR is for, it needs speeding up but IMO it proved itself last night.

« Reply #21 on: 28 January, 2018, 03:10:19 pm »
The biggest problem with VAR is the dampener it puts on celebrations (and I don't mean the players).

A team scores, everyone goes wild, ref signals VAR review, crowd quietens, eventually goal is given and the moment isn't quite the same. So I can see how it cheapens the experience for the crowd at the game.

For those watching on TV it's not quite as bad as they have the benefit of watching various replays in order to keep themselves entertained and connected to the action whilst the decision is awaited.

A similar 'problem' is the last batsmen (i.e. the 10th wicket) using one of the remaining reviews at the end of an innings. Seemingly pointless, but the review is there and will be lost regardless of whether it is used or not, but it delays the celebrations enough that even the players don't celebrate as much once the decision is confirmed.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #22 on: 28 January, 2018, 03:48:25 pm »
Or a challenge on the last shot of a Tennis Grand Slam match.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #23 on: 28 January, 2018, 04:53:33 pm »
The biggest problem with VAR is the dampener it puts on celebrations (and I don't mean the players).

A team scores, everyone goes wild, ref signals VAR review, crowd quietens, eventually goal is given and the moment isn't quite the same. So I can see how it cheapens the experience for the crowd at the game.

For those watching on TV it's not quite as bad as they have the benefit of watching various replays in order to keep themselves entertained and connected to the action whilst the decision is awaited.

A similar 'problem' is the last batsmen (i.e. the 10th wicket) using one of the remaining reviews at the end of an innings. Seemingly pointless, but the review is there and will be lost regardless of whether it is used or not, but it delays the celebrations enough that even the players don't celebrate as much once the decision is confirmed.

Seems to work fine in Rugby though... I didn't see the game but did they show the VAR on the screen at the same time? (like in Rugby)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #24 on: 28 January, 2018, 05:09:37 pm »
No big screen for fans at football, hence why Dion Dublin made the comments he did last night on MOTD

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42849355