Author Topic: LEJOG inna Audax stylee  (Read 22163 times)

Re: LEJOG inna Audax stylee
« Reply #100 on: 03 November, 2010, 05:20:42 pm »
I rode LeJog as a 1400km audax in 2008. I used the hotel at Lands End as a control at the start. It has a stamp in reception and the receptionist recorded the time for me.  I started in the evening PBP style.  I used Travelodges all except one night and finished at John O'Groats during the day so the gift shop was open. However at John O'Groats there is a cafe, visitor centre, pub/hotel and YH which you can access at anti social times of day if you book in advance. I seem to remember a stamp being available at the YH as well.

Tony

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #101 on: 10 November, 2010, 01:26:41 pm »
Sounds good, although when we started this year, there were no signs of life at the Lands End Hotel at 6 a.m. on a Monday morning. There is, however, a car park with a ticket machine, but unfortunately this was not working either.

Perhaps a photograph of its date and time would help?

Alternatively, a LEL style 2pm start might be better, though it does leave the "whether to stop on the first night" dilemma unsolved.

« Reply #102 on: 10 November, 2010, 01:36:47 pm »
Sounds good, although when we started this year, there were no signs of life at the Lands End Hotel at 6 a.m. on a Monday morning. There is, however, a car park with a ticket machine, but unfortunately this was not working either.

Perhaps a photograph of its date and time would help?

No, back to this:-

Me to.  There's something in the rules about the Organiser using his discretion to accept a control an hour or 30km from the start and finish.  I've just noticed that there is a more recent version of the Organiser's rules stating that photographs of the start and finish are specifially not allowed, correcting the previously confusing "photographs are .... not generally unacceptable"
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Billy Weir

« Reply #103 on: 10 November, 2010, 03:48:08 pm »
Organiser of the AUK End to End here.

Please refer to the notes on:

https://sites.google.com/site/randonneuruk/permanent-events/end-to-end

If you have any specific questions about acceptable proof of control, feel free to PM/email them to me.  But in summary

- There are no hard and fast rules; I'm a reasonable chap where reasonable requests are made.
- I accept the limitation of LE and JOG control options, but this has to be balanced against LE and JOG being the start/finish of the ride, the key determinants of how long you took to do the ride.
- I will always support validation of your ride if your first proof of control is within a reasonable time/distance of LE or JOG (1 hour or 30km seems reasonable to me)
- I prefer not to receive pictures as proof of control at LE or JOG.  But AUK has validated rides using these (but it was a PITA, especially as the documentation of the 2nd and some other controls was poor and/or missing).

Note that GPS validation is now available for the audax End to End.  This has been agreed with the Perms Organiser (John).  Tracklogs would be submitted to me.  Of course, many entrants treat this as a special event and might prefer to complete their brevet card in parallel (as a momento).

Also, I am in discussions with John about possible changes to how the E2E is offered, so that riders have more flexibility in choosing (before the event) how they structure their ride.  Essentially the aim is to allow you to mix and match BR (each of 200km to 1,600km distance) and BP legs (50km to 1,600km, different speed limits).  There is still some sorting out of how to do it, but that is the aim.

Billy

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #104 on: 11 November, 2010, 01:40:27 pm »
I'm a reasonable chap where reasonable requests are made.

Now, I can attest to this. We had some problems both at the start, and in Eskdalemuir after dark. On both occasions, the "best that we could do" was accepted, for which I remain grateful.

Its high time that both LE and JoG had a punch card machine for the likes of loony end-to-enders.

« Reply #105 on: 11 November, 2010, 02:13:32 pm »
Thanks for the info Billy.  I'll be doing the 5-day version in 2012 and it's really good to know that a tracklog will be acceptable.  The thought of getting stamps and receipts, especially at 4am when I tend to set out, was worrying me.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #106 on: 12 November, 2010, 01:23:23 pm »
I'm a reasonable chap where reasonable requests are made.

Now, I can attest to this. We had some problems both at the start, and in Eskdalemuir after dark. On both occasions, the "best that we could do" was accepted, for which I remain grateful.

Its high time that both LE and JoG had a punch card machine for the likes of loony end-to-enders.

Yes, A very kind man who was walking his dog signed our card & provided his telephone number at Lands End & we used the shop in Langholm in Place of Eskalemuir where we did see a chap at Samye Ling who signed my card for Kendal  ??? 
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.