Author Topic: "The wrong kind of sandwiches..."  (Read 4687 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: "The wrong kind of sandwiches..."
« Reply #25 on: 23 May, 2008, 05:30:42 pm »
I have never travelled first-class  :'(.  Clearly I have missed out on much in my life  :-\.  But I do remember savouring the early-style buffets that occasionally occurred on the trains I used to ride in my schooldays (trains looking like this IIRC).  My meagre pocket money wouldn't stretch to more than a Penguin, which would cost me the princely sum of 4d (as compared to 3d in the school tuck-shop).  Ahhhh......(*wave of nostalgia*)....

I travelled First Class to two reunions last year; AUK and medical school. With my Disabled Person's Railcard the one-way advanced purchase fare was £9.25 for London to Chesterfield or Sheffield. At that price, I was not going to travel zoo class!

It was very nice too!

The fare structure has just been 'simplified' and I don't know if this kind of bargain is still available.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #26 on: 24 May, 2008, 03:27:33 am »
Virgin First Class is yummy! I prefer to pay the small premium for the service and food :) with me discounts it still works out quite cheap.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

alan

« Reply #27 on: 24 May, 2008, 07:51:52 am »
I don't know if this is still possible but in th 70's I used to pay stadard fare for Stoke to Euston,catch the 0705 train,upgrade to First Class on board(it was £10 IIRC ) then have a free breakfast with a seat in first class whilst the other carriages filled up at Stafford leaving standing room only.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #28 on: 24 May, 2008, 08:16:26 am »
I remember that Alan! When Mrs J to be was in Brighton and I was in Manchester there was a lot of weekend travelling (Sat night southbound, arriving 11pm or so, Sunday back similar timing  :o) The £10 upgrade made a lot of difference.

Sam, yes, I rate the Virgin experience on the Pendelinos as being about the best. I use 1st where possible because of the space, quietness, free drinks etc. the waiting Lounges at termini, the power sockets at the seats, the tables at every seat etc. I usually work on my journeys, and usually charge my business. Apart from that I can't/won't travel on a train standing up; 1st Class I get a much better probability of not having to wait for the next train.
It is simpler than it looks.