Author Topic: Walking/running shoes with significant padding  (Read 3836 times)

Walking/running shoes with significant padding
« on: 12 May, 2020, 08:05:23 am »
My wife loves walking but has developed painful 2nd metatarsal heads.
She has been walking in the boots we use for hill walking which I think has lead to the problem due to lack of padding and walking on pavement more than normal.

I have seen reference to running shoes with a lot of padding to absorb impact. Would these be suitable for walking?

Honestly not worried about cost as this is so important to her.  Any recommendations?

Re: Walking/running shoes with significant padding
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2020, 08:12:28 am »
If you are just walking on roads then any decent road running shoe will do.

If off-road then you might need a bit more grip, so spend 15 minutes googling for a trail shoe intended for light trails rather than full on rocky stuff.

https://www.adidas.co.uk/women-running

Adidas have an outlet site for old models, might be something in there.

Also Sportshoe have good deals:

https://www.sportsshoes.com/products/womens/running/shoe/?p=5&l=36

You could narrow down a selection and then google reviews.  Some of the running mag reviews are just advertorials (like nearly all bike reviews), but some are quite in-depth and balanced

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2 on: 12 May, 2020, 08:24:17 am »
My podiatrist recommended Hoka One One for my arthritic toes - they have got me running again, albeit nowhere near as far as I used to go.  They are more padded than my previous trail shoes (Salomon) which were lighter and grippier. 

It is tricky though.  Podiatrist #1 came up with a pair of inserts that made no difference, hence now being on Podiatrist #2.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #3 on: 12 May, 2020, 08:56:11 am »
I recommend Hoka One One for running. They might not offer the ankle support needed for rough trail walking though.

Hoka make a huge range, from smooth-soled shoes for pavement to hard-core trail shoes. I have an intermediate version, Challenger ATA 3, that has decent grip but not the spikes of a full-on trail shoe.

Their shoe models vary slightly in shape, so it is worth trying several models.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4 on: 12 May, 2020, 09:03:10 am »
^shoe shops are shut unfortunately, so that will make it a bit of a game of pot luck.

« Reply #5 on: 12 May, 2020, 09:07:39 am »
Trail running trainer with vibram grippy sole?  See list including Hoka...   https://eu.vibram.com/en/partners/partner-products/outdoor/mountain/trail-running/  l

Sales pitch 
METATARSUS SECTION - CONTACT ZONE
This is the most important part of a sole for mountain trail running. It must provide a number of complex, often contradictory, functional solutions, such as puncture withstand against rocks to avoid any pain in this very sensitive part of the foot and flexibility, a fundamental feature particularly when going uphill to avoid wasting any energy. These two characteristics must be accompanied by good cushioning, provided by special materials and inserts. Maximum comfort is required for the metatarsus during fast, steep descents. In addition, the sole and the upper of the shoe must function perfectly together in the metatarsus section to ensure good stability, notably in uneven terrain, and effective propulsion under all environmental and weather conditions.
  https://utmbmontblanc.com/en/page/190/the-ideal-trail-running-shoe.html

ETA Have been in Chamonix during UTMB twice and saw more Salomons than I could shake a stick at.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Davef

« Reply #6 on: 12 May, 2020, 11:10:09 am »
Another vote for hoka.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #7 on: 12 May, 2020, 11:30:16 am »
There is a very good (as in detailed) here: https://www.runningshoesguru.com/2017/04/hoka-one-one-challenger-atr-3-review/

I have wide feet and suffered a bit from blisters at first. Partly solved by switching to elastic laces and also the shoes wear in a bit.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #8 on: 12 May, 2020, 12:09:03 pm »
Iā€™m doing quite a lot in Hoka Torrent at the moment. That might work, or one of the road shoes?

« Reply #9 on: 12 May, 2020, 02:33:51 pm »
Another for Hoka One One. For trail running but perfect for walking too. Very light and a good price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #10 on: 12 May, 2020, 03:14:59 pm »
Thank you for the input. Some Amazon ordering now.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 12 May, 2020, 04:29:17 pm »
Alternatively, an orthotic insole with a metatarsal pad?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: 12 May, 2020, 04:35:54 pm »
There is a very good (as in detailed) here: https://www.runningshoesguru.com/2017/04/hoka-one-one-challenger-atr-3-review/

I have wide feet and suffered a bit from blisters at first. Partly solved by switching to elastic laces and also the shoes wear in a bit.

CONS
This shoe continues to have a narrow last compared to most trail running shoes, especially in the forefoot.

Well, that's me out then....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #13 on: 12 May, 2020, 07:26:37 pm »

CONS
This shoe continues to have a narrow last compared to most trail running shoes, especially in the forefoot.

I have feet like a hobbit. Same width as a friend who has size 10 feet (I'm an 8). I had to try a few sizes to get one that fitted me, but they fit well.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #14 on: 13 May, 2020, 06:58:20 am »
Some manufacturers such as Brooks do shoes in differing widths.  Also, some are true to size, I.e. a 9 is a 9 and not an 8 and a half, etc.  Some come up narrow as standard, some wider as standard. 

I would recommend looking around for reviews.  I have bought two pairs of running shoes during lockdown but I have an established preference for a particular manufacturer and can get shoes which fit my wider feet well.  It can be very expensive getting shoes which simply do not fit properly.

« Reply #15 on: 13 May, 2020, 08:29:48 am »
As an aside, I can recommend Altra for anybody with a wide fore-foot. Impact-absorption-wise, I'm currently using their Olympus model and it's like walking on a trampoline when you first put them on. :-)

It really comes to something when a shoe company can use 'Foot Shaped' as a unique selling point, though!  ::-)

ETA: Altra do seem to be a bit smaller than advertised - I wear EU44 mostly, but EU45 in Altras.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #16 on: 13 May, 2020, 11:57:18 am »
As an aside, I can recommend Altra for anybody with a wide fore-foot. Impact-absorption-wise, I'm currently using their Olympus model and it's like walking on a trampoline when you first put them on. :-)

It really comes to something when a shoe company can use 'Foot Shaped' as a unique selling point, though!  ::-)

ETA: Altra do seem to be a bit smaller than advertised - I wear EU44 mostly, but EU45 in Altras.

I'm a fan of Altras, too, though I go for the less padded versions so can't help with recommendations. I'm a 42 normally and wearing a 43 in Altra.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #17 on: 15 May, 2020, 08:45:43 am »

CONS

I have slightly narrow forefoot but very narrow heels, so most modern shoes feel like boats for me.  My Hoka Clifton 6 does have enough travel in the laces to get them sufficiently tight.  I expect to put the orthotics in them in the future, but I haven't done yet because I'm not walking around anywhere near as much as usual and so I haven't worn the orthotics enough yet.  The one thing I found was that they didn't have great grip in muddy conditions.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #18 on: 15 May, 2020, 09:25:09 am »
CET, you should try the elastic laces. Game-changer for me. I have issues with one foot from an old injury - so skipped a couple of lace holes on that side to give my foot space.
I have these: https://upandrunning.co.uk/lock-laces-orange

They are very long, allowing space for lumpy feet.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #19 on: 15 May, 2020, 03:00:39 pm »
I've used Lock-Laces on my shoes for over a decade and also put them on shoes for my Dad and my partner.

Was rather surprised when a therapist I attended (can't remember if a physio or OT) asked what they were...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #20 on: 15 May, 2020, 04:56:29 pm »
I've got those on a pair of sandals ā€“ Merrell, I think ā€“ but had no idea that was what people were talking about when they said 'elastic laces'. They do seem to make it possible to get a tighter all-round fit than normal laces, though I'd really need to try them on something else for comparison.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #21 on: 15 May, 2020, 05:10:56 pm »
I used to use lock laces on my running shoes (triathalopes bang on about them for speed of putting shoes on in transition) but found that they don't seem to hold the tongue in the same shape/place as normal laces. I found I was getting weird pressure points that went away when I returned to normal laces.

I couldn't be bothered to work out how to re-lace my shoes with lock laces, which are thinner and rounder than the original wide/flat laces, to avoid this.

I think I've got about 5 pairs of unused lock laces somewhere, if I find them I'll offer them up for free (or a promise of a charitable donation).

OK, 4 sets (1 black, 3 red) available. PM away.
Gone!
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22 on: 16 May, 2020, 01:39:16 pm »
[Deviating]

I don't use Lock-Laces for speed; I lack dexterity and my right lower limb is so weak that I have to haul it over my left to dress.
This is the only way I gan wear shoes that fit, stay in place and control the gravitational swelling of my feet.

D is not very good with tying things.

Dad is old and weak.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #23 on: 18 May, 2020, 10:28:14 am »

Another vote for Altra.  I have the Lone Peak trail shoes (both the mesh and the waterproof versions) and they're my 'go to' shoes now.  Used for everything from shopping to long distance walking.  They'll be my Camino shoe - once the Camino reopens.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #24 on: 22 June, 2020, 02:03:59 pm »
Just to say thank you for all your advice.  My wife has now been wearing a pair of hoka road shoes for the last few weeks.  her foot is almost totally pain free and she is back upto 11km walks without worrying.