Author Topic: Best Cake Stops (also beer)  (Read 180418 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Best Cake Stops (also beer)
« Reply #50 on: 03 April, 2009, 04:35:43 pm »
Where's that, then?  :)

And welcome - good start for making friends!

Ah - your location is a clue.  There's another member rarely about who mentioned it.  Good refuelling before all the mountains of the Wirral, I seem to remember ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #51 on: 03 April, 2009, 04:39:34 pm »
Where's that, then?  :)

And welcome - good start for making friends!

Linkage

;D

Seriously, it is fairly famous and occasionally attracts some well known local riders (Steve Cummings has popped in there and so has Stan Chris Boardman. A very cyclist orientated cafe!

Eureka Cyclists Cafe - Famous meeting and eating place for cycling enthusiasts and cycling clubs based in the North West of England near Chester <--- Nout to do with me, just lucky that it's my local(ish) cafe.

Thanks for the welcome  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #52 on: 03 April, 2009, 04:46:37 pm »
Thanks.  I found it on the map as the latest addition.  It's one of those very famous cycling cafes - like the one just south of Lancaster on the A6, and the crap little one in Hebden Bridge.

Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #53 on: 03 April, 2009, 04:58:25 pm »
The Friar Tuck in Amesbury does a wonderful Cake* comprising of Sausages, Bacon, Eggs, Beans and Toast.

* It's not really a cake in the truest sense.

« Reply #54 on: 03 April, 2009, 05:30:21 pm »
Thanks.  I found it on the map as the latest addition.  It's one of those very famous cycling cafes - like the one just south of Lancaster on the A6,

The Priory tea rooms?

« Reply #55 on: 03 April, 2009, 05:35:53 pm »
Someone's deleted the Eureka off the map now, I suppose that's what happens when you leave the thing open and depend on trust? I can't be arsed adding it back :)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #56 on: 09 April, 2009, 10:36:45 pm »
Seems to still be there dodgy, unless you got re-arsed to put it back that is.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #57 on: 14 April, 2009, 11:18:59 am »
I need to work out the magick of how to post stuffs.  But until I do, here is our crop of cafes from this weekend:

Ross-on-Wye:  There's a cafe on the High Street (I'll remember the name soon) that did a grand veggie breakfast.

Malvern: Bluebird Tea Rooms near that terrace-y bit where yon Elgar stands.  Not much bike parking space, as it's just a door at ground level, but it is a magnificent tea shop, with really good food.

Unfortunately, it wasn't open yesterday when we went by, so we went to Henry's Bistro, which was a bit average :-\
Getting there...

« Reply #58 on: 14 April, 2009, 11:22:54 am »
Seems to still be there dodgy, unless you got re-arsed to put it back that is.

It's not showing to me for some reason, tested with logged in and logged out of Google.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #59 on: 06 May, 2009, 11:22:25 am »
The Elm Tree, Orchard Street, Cambridge

As the sign outside says:

"Good Beer
No Food (although they do do lovely pork scratchings and pickled eggs)
Miserable staff (completely untrue)"

I can thoroughly recommend it.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #60 on: 06 May, 2009, 11:42:09 am »
Now on your mobile phone! All you need to do is follow these two easy steps:

1. Install Google Maps for mobile by going to google.com/gmm on your phone's browser
2. In Google Maps, do a 'Search' and enter http://tinyurl.com/cakestop into the search box (exactly as shown)

Presto!

(Caveat: I only tested this quickly on my Nokia. YMMV)

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #61 on: 22 May, 2009, 04:21:21 pm »
Added a couple near Paris. Call me up if you are planning a visit.

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #62 on: 14 September, 2009, 04:08:33 pm »
found my self at Lulworth Cove at 8:30 yesterday morning (ridden down from Blandford) ...was gagging for a coffee but the cafe was not open and one the hotels wouldn't serve 'non residents' ....was giving up hope but then saw this place onthe way out clicky.  More than happy to serve me coffee and a bacon sarnie for the return trip  :thumbsup:
appearing in a tea room near you

cpjmathieson

« Reply #63 on: 15 September, 2009, 07:22:48 am »
If you are visiting Walton on The Naze Tower, Walton on the Naze, Essex. ...... this place does a cracking Cream Tea  :P

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #64 on: 06 March, 2010, 03:02:53 pm »
My mate is just about to pack in science and run a pub with her partner. They will be opening the Three Horseshoes (Thwaites) in Ingleton as the new tenants from the end of March, so if you're in the area drop in and say hello :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

brownster

« Reply #65 on: 25 April, 2010, 08:59:34 pm »
Just added 3 of my favourite beer stops  ;D

The Cock Inn, Luddesdown

The Stone Horse, Higham

Kings Arms, Upper Upnor

All great for good real ale and bite to eat if you are in the area.

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #66 on: 27 August, 2010, 10:37:47 pm »
Best English breakfast in the south is at The Teapot (Pull-In Cafe) in Maidenhead, top of the market, where the buses stop.  Breakfast special at under a fiver, which includes tea and toast. :smug:

Been going there since the late 1980s .... worst one I ever had was merely 'great!!'. ;D

Tested again yesterday - still got it!! ;D
Old enough to know better!

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #67 on: 30 August, 2010, 11:13:54 pm »
If you're ever touring the South Downs, the Singing Kettle in Alfriston is a top quality cake stop; nice teas, very nice cakes.  Forgive me if I don't add it to the map myself, but I'm allergic to Google.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #68 on: 22 September, 2010, 11:39:52 pm »
This seems a likely place to ask this question.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a good cafe/tea stop in the Shoreham-by-Sea/Lancing/Worthing area.  Ideally with a decent view of the sea and a friendly attitude towards cyclists (especially those of an audax persuasion).

« Reply #69 on: 26 September, 2010, 09:02:15 pm »
I've added a few haunts around York...

If I tried to list every tea shop in York, the map would sink under the weight of cups.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #70 on: 05 October, 2010, 12:41:33 am »
All these stops sound great but I think the best one I have come across was on Saturday's inaugural running of the Venetian Nights 200 from Macclesfield.  The ride involves a section along the High Peak Trail, which is the trackbed of the Monsal freight line between Cromford and Buxton.  Half-way along, at Parsley Hay (true), JayP of this parish had parked his camper van, from which he dispensed tea, coffee and oh, so much cake!  Trays of Stollen, flapjack, fruitcake, chocolate cake, brittle....yeah, 'twas a Dickensian Delight of a cake van.  Dusk, with cycles, companions, countryside and CAKE; oh, to be in England at such times.....
Thanks to John, Elaine, Claire and Roy!

« Reply #71 on: 06 November, 2010, 08:30:47 pm »
Used the 'Oak Room' cafe in Lynton last week after visiting the Valley of the Rocks. ( recommended cafe at the VofR was closed )
Great cafe with a good menu - the evening menu looked even better Tapas stylee !

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #72 on: 09 November, 2010, 08:10:31 pm »
Pointless I know, but I've added the 3 nice stops I've found so far (2 in New Jersey and 1 in Pennsylvania!)

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #73 on: 26 November, 2010, 06:43:41 pm »
Waunwyllt (= "wild meadow") Inn 50 metres off National Cycle Route 47 at Horeb / Five Roads, half way between Llanelli and Five Roads; signposted from the path. A few rings on the outside wall to secure cycles to; tables out front; beer garden at back; bar with light meals; restaurant; Caravan Club pitch adjoining with half a dozen spaces. Changing selection of well-kept real ales (free house). Reasonable value but very nice bar meals. Sandwinches, ploughmans etc especially good. Friendly and helpful - e.g. no problem filling water bottles. Child friendly. We often stop when cycling past.

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
« Reply #74 on: 29 November, 2010, 10:41:04 am »
Meon Springs fishery.  This is a little gem open at 08:00 and right in the middle of the Meon valley. Where else would you get a bacon roll and a mug of tea with a wood fire sitting on a sofa with a labrador at your feet!!!!at that time . Its not strictly speaking a cafe but a place where the fishermen can warm up and have  a coffee and bacon roll ( hence the early opening), theres the usual sweetie bars and soft drinks as well. But I rang up and they said yeah sure you can come in as well and at this time of year I ain't going to refuse. So me and chillmoister pitched up about 08:30 on Sunday had a bacon roll and mug of tea £ 3.00 and warmed ourselves by the wood stove. Couple of fishermen came in , not much to catch as the lakes were freezing up . In the summer I can see myself sat outside watching the lads casting. But for now it will make the winter rides abit more palatable.  :thumbsup: