Author Topic: Rear Rack for a Cube ebike  (Read 1914 times)

Rear Rack for a Cube ebike
« on: 06 July, 2020, 12:41:28 pm »
A mate of mine has just bought one of these: https://www.cube.eu/en/2020/e-bikes/tour/nature-hybrid/cube-nature-hybrid-exc-500-allroad-blacknred-2020-trapeze/

He wants to fit a rack to the rear - not a beam rack - but there are no mounts on the seatstays. These are an unusual shape too. The best way I can describe them is  rounded rectangular form. There are drilled holes by the dropouts, so I'm hoping the panel can come up with suggestions for ways of fitting a rack to the bike.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Rear Rack for a Cube ebike
« Reply #2 on: 06 July, 2020, 01:16:48 pm »

« Reply #3 on: 07 July, 2020, 09:53:25 am »
Thanks. The seat clamp option is probably better. Cube parts tend to be hyper expensive, and the rack itself in the link doesn't offer any rearward pannier support.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #5 on: 07 July, 2020, 11:46:34 am »
Yebbut that Cube rack is crap. Compare it to this one to see how the Tortec one provides proper support at the back for panniers that the Cube one doesn't. Similar seat clamps can be had for £7.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 07 July, 2020, 11:47:50 am »
I use panniers that are stiff enough to not need additional support. YMMV

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 07 July, 2020, 12:57:23 pm »
The mudguard stabilises the rack from rotating around the wheel.

My friend's sturdy German e-bike has a rack with this sort of arrangement.  It took me quite a while to work out what looked wrong about it, and nearly as long to convince myself that it wasn't an engineering disaster waiting to happen.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 07 July, 2020, 01:11:03 pm »
The Cube actually has a metal stay tucked under the plastic mudguard. Old French randonneuring bikes used the aluminium mudguard itself as the structural support, which has always struck me as somewhat bold.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 07 July, 2020, 01:34:34 pm »
Yes, the mudguard turned out to have stainless steel reinforcement.  Seems like a bit of a faff, but it means there's room for the nurse's lock above the seatstays.