Author Topic: CrAcKpOt  (Read 88187 times)

Re: CrAcKpOt
« Reply #325 on: 14 September, 2016, 04:25:10 pm »
Wow - what a ride !

I survived !

Had a mixed bag of weather, but once you've been soaked and covered in slurry, and sleep deprivation kicks in, you stop caring. I had to really dig deep to keep going between Minehead & Culmstock - the laney, slurry-covered climbs and descents were relentless. Those climbs really slow you down and just seem like they'll never end.

Note to self - use mudguards next time.  :facepalm:  The weight you save by not fitting them is quickly added back to your bike on a damp Wessex ride. Got some quality disbelieving stares in the Motorway services ...

Tired and knackered now. Wonder how Simon's getting on ? There are a few really irritating diversions on the route at the moment.

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #326 on: 14 September, 2016, 04:28:36 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: give us an update when you've had a kip and/or can face it.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #327 on: 14 September, 2016, 06:31:17 pm »
Wow - what a ride !

MEGATRON
Good effort GPS!

I survived !

Had a mixed bag of weather, but once you've been soaked and covered in slurry, and sleep deprivation kicks in, you stop caring. I had to really dig deep to keep going between Minehead & Culmstock - the laney, slurry-covered climbs and descents were relentless. Those climbs really slow you down and just seem like they'll never end.

Note to self - use mudguards next time.  :facepalm:  The weight you save by not fitting them is quickly added back to your bike on a damp Wessex ride. Got some quality disbelieving stares in the Motorway services ...

Tired and knackered now. Wonder how Simon's getting on ? There are a few really irritating diversions on the route at the moment.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #328 on: 15 September, 2016, 11:56:19 am »
Wow - what a ride !

I survived !

Well done that man  :thumbsup:

H

« Reply #329 on: 15 September, 2016, 05:16:21 pm »
Brilliant ride, GPS!

Wonder how Simon's getting on ?

He had some sleep near Frome (on the third of the four southwards legs) in the early hours of today.

He had time in hand. He's got until 2.08pm tomorrow (Friday) to reach the finish at Poole.

Here's wishing him well!

« Reply #330 on: 15 September, 2016, 05:58:23 pm »
Brilliant ride, GPS!

Wonder how Simon's getting on ?

He had some sleep near Frome (on the third of the four southwards legs) in the early hours of today.

He had time in hand. He's got until 2.08pm tomorrow (Friday) to reach the finish at Poole.

Here's wishing him well!

Great news!

Only 350K to go - with a much nicer profile. He's nearly home & dry ... he's just got to keep plugging away.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #331 on: 15 September, 2016, 11:26:34 pm »
Any news?

Smeth

« Reply #332 on: 16 September, 2016, 12:01:33 am »
At that rate the end must be nigh - maybe next three hours or maybe even already done. Blooming good going. By the way Jonah - looking forward to GMC on Saturday. Wessex pilgrimage to see what you strange folk get up to when you're not down here. From the profile it looks very much the same.

« Reply #333 on: 16 September, 2016, 10:33:31 am »
Simon was refuelling at Ower at about 8.30 am.... "just" the New Forest to cross. Depending on sleep needs etc., could be finishing before long.... Excellent riding.

« Reply #334 on: 16 September, 2016, 12:09:23 pm »
From Simon at 11.57:

"I can't believe this.... 4km away from centre of Poole and rear derailleur has completely twisted. So I guess I'm going to have to push to get to the station! that's all I need! At least it didn't happen in the wessex wilds...
Oh well I knew I needed a new chainset."

« Reply #335 on: 16 September, 2016, 12:25:16 pm »
From Simon at 11.57:

"I can't believe this.... 4km away from centre of Poole and rear derailleur has completely twisted. So I guess I'm going to have to push to get to the station! that's all I need! At least it didn't happen in the wessex wilds...

At least he'll be able to finish ...  :o

Simultaneous good and bad luck! If such misfortune was going to happen anywhere, 4km from the finish when you've got time in hand isn't bad.

I imagine he'll be quite relieved to finish. That might be an understatement.

« Reply #336 on: 16 September, 2016, 12:34:28 pm »
Thank goodness that happened so close to the finish. Epic ride beyond anything I could imagine. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #337 on: 16 September, 2016, 12:44:33 pm »
(Sorry I've got to go offline now, so won't be able to report a great finish promptly.)

Smeth

« Reply #338 on: 16 September, 2016, 01:02:57 pm »
One the one hand - cripes! On the other, Bravo, he's going to do it.  :thumbsup:

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #339 on: 16 September, 2016, 01:45:41 pm »
From Simon at 11.57:

Bummer!

Hummers

« Reply #340 on: 16 September, 2016, 06:44:33 pm »
From Simon at 11.57:

Bummer!

Says the man with one gear  :demon:

H

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #341 on: 16 September, 2016, 09:34:19 pm »
If a skimmer snaps a chain, what's the best way of setting it up single-speed to finish a ride? 

I remember when I tried to convert a Raleigh Bomber to SS but leaving the block on; the chain just jumped off onto another cog and got chewed up.  I was late for work at the not-so-local Cantonese restaurant where it was my job to introduce the delights of GB fish & chips.  Luckily a mate was passing in his work van and loaded the Bomber on board (it took two of us) - I digress...

I suppose it was because they are not cogs in the true sense and are made to change gear?  Probably better to use the outer one (even though it will probably be the same size a satellite dish) and the outer ring on the front??

« Reply #342 on: 16 September, 2016, 09:41:31 pm »
I tend to carry a small adjustable.  In addition to undoing a fixed-wheel, it's useful for straightening things.  I've rescued someone's bent gear hanger with it.  You could probably use it to unmangle a derailleur sufficiently to proceed, if not to actually change gear.

Hummers

« Reply #343 on: 17 September, 2016, 04:53:11 am »
If a skimmer snaps a chain, what's the best way of setting it up single-speed to finish a ride? 

I remember when I tried to convert a Raleigh Bomber to SS but leaving the block on; the chain just jumped off onto another cog and got chewed up.  I was late for work at the not-so-local Cantonese restaurant where it was my job to introduce the delights of GB fish & chips.  Luckily a mate was passing in his work van and loaded the Bomber on board (it took two of us) - I digress...

I suppose it was because they are not cogs in the true sense and are made to change gear?  Probably better to use the outer one (even though it will probably be the same size a satellite dish) and the outer ring on the front??

I can speak from experience here.

I wrapped my rear mech into the back wheel on the Brimstone about 3 miles after Drew Buck's house.

Completion required some walking and the selection of the 38/11 combination for flattish stretches. I was able to reassemble the chain and select the 48/11 combination for the end section to Poole via the Tarrants.

H

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #344 on: 17 September, 2016, 05:03:33 am »
To swap a geared bike to SS roadside, the chainline has to be just about dead straight and the chain tension has to be in the 'Goldilocks zone' - not too loose, not too tight. Optimising for these factors is likely to result in a non-optimal choice of gearing, especially with vertical dropouts. So be it.

If the chainline is at an angle, it will keep changing gears while you are riding and either tightening or loosening the chain.

If the chain is too tight, you are much more likely to pop a chain side plate or a hub or bottom bracket bearing. If it is too loose, the chain will wander onto other cogs at inconvenient times or skip.

In July, a fellow PBP Audax rider destroyed his Campag rear mech and bent the Vitus Al dropout hanger so far that it clashed with the cassette. I bent the hanger back far enough to clear the cassette, removed the rear mech and shortened and rejoined his 10sp chain, all with my multitool. My spare 10sp quicklink had already been used and apparently he and the support crew couldn't purchase another. He rode that arrangement for a day and a half to the finish, though I made him climb in the saddle only, because I expected the chain to part at any moment.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #345 on: 17 September, 2016, 02:11:37 pm »
I've just seen this thread and all the kindly comments. Well I survived more or less in one piece (apart from the obvious).  It was an incredible ride feeling somewhat knackered now and still a bit shell shocked.  Tony provided me with Smeth's gpx - so thank-you both for that.

Good effort to GPS's ride - it was quite comforting to know I was following someone else's wheel tracks albeit a day or two after.

I hope to put together some sort of report  next week after I've pulled myself together.

« Reply #346 on: 17 September, 2016, 05:10:12 pm »
Well done Simon!  :thumbsup:

Quite a ride isn't it!?

« Reply #347 on: 17 September, 2016, 09:13:56 pm »

I did this on the BCM Scenic is 2009 I think. As others have said go for a straight chain line. I was lucky to be on a triple(but only 8spd 13-23 on the back). This meant that 41-16 was straight which is a good gear for hills but spun out on the Monmouth-Chepstow road. Obviopusly remove read derailier and shorten the chain. Chain half link long is ok. Sprocket one to the outside of straight is also safe - the others wont catch is to cause a shift when its very nearly straight but on the other side it could drop off
 when shaken

Smeth

« Reply #348 on: 18 September, 2016, 01:39:55 am »
Well Done Simon. Just rode Greenwich Mean Climb (with Jonah for a while.) Agree great to see people giving the beast a go. Look forward to hearing more. Hope the walk wasn't too grim. :thumbsup:

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #349 on: 18 September, 2016, 10:18:22 am »
Nice riding with you Smeth

and GOOD EFFORT SIMON-T  :thumbsup: