Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 338242 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #1800 on: 23 March, 2018, 03:48:41 pm »
I've seen a similar kind of thing for cauliflower "steak" which I intend to try sometime

Whole baked celeriac is quite good as well.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1801 on: 23 March, 2018, 04:04:29 pm »
Will give the soup a try thinks.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #1802 on: 23 March, 2018, 11:16:52 pm »
Celeriac is good mashed. With or without potato. It's also good with black kale as bubble & squeak.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1803 on: 30 March, 2018, 08:40:53 pm »
The holiday apartment we are currently staying in does not have a champagne bottle stopper.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1804 on: 30 March, 2018, 09:01:44 pm »
Why would you need a champagne bottle stopper?

Surely spare champagne is a FWP of it's own?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1805 on: 30 March, 2018, 09:39:07 pm »
The advantage of fizzy wine is that it keeps better when a half full bottle is correctly stoppered, whereas a similar bottle of non-fizzy wine requires a vacuum device of an inert gas to be introduced. 
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1806 on: 30 March, 2018, 10:03:10 pm »
I thought bottles of wine (still and fizzy) were either full or empty.  Are you people trying to tell me there is an intermediate state? :o
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #1807 on: 01 April, 2018, 05:33:14 pm »
The trouble with living so close to Shuttleworth  is every bank holiday weekend you have to keep getting up and walking to the window or going outside to see what it is that's flying over this time. Being the RAF centenary year it's even worse today.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1808 on: 01 April, 2018, 05:58:39 pm »
I thought bottles of wine (still and fizzy) were either full or empty.  Are you people trying to tell me there is an intermediate state? :o

Andrij, they’re trying to wind you up. It’s basic quantum physics; there are only 2 stable stars full and empty, any attempt to maintain an intermediate state will result in a singularity forming in the Médoc and the whole production being sucked in.

Now that would be a real first world problem

« Reply #1809 on: 02 April, 2018, 09:50:55 am »
Yesterday.
Chardonnay.
Served at room temperature.
Really?  :sick:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1810 on: 04 April, 2018, 01:24:38 pm »
Chardonnay rouge exists and is even AOC.  And the Californians do it too.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1811 on: 04 April, 2018, 06:43:16 pm »
The Linton to Lynmouth waterpowered railway is out of service due to a landslide.
We had an appointment in a pub in Lynmouth and as parking is very limited in Lynmouth I decided that we should park in Lynton and travel down to Lynmouth via the aforementioned water powered railway.
However I had parked my car in Lynton AND paid £3 for a parking ticket before I became aware of the lack of service.

For those unaware of the GEOGRAPHY of the locale, Lynton is 600 vertical feet above Lynmouth. The walk down was hard on the knees, the climb back was hard work.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1812 on: 04 April, 2018, 07:42:39 pm »
I remember childhood family holidays thereabouts with Dad sweating as our family estate car struggled with the gradients and its payload of parents + 5 offsprung.

Must have been 1973 and we were skinny kids!

Skinny kids aged 6, 9, 12, 14 & 15 are not weightless and there was 25 stone of Parent!

« Reply #1813 on: 04 April, 2018, 10:24:23 pm »
My family was on holiday in Ilfracombe in August 1952, and we visited Lynton a day or two before the disastrous flood.

Have been back since and ridden on the water-powered cliff railway, which dates from 1890, so guess it needs occasional repair.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1814 on: 05 April, 2018, 09:48:20 am »
We’re staying in ilfracombe and where visiting Lynton to lunch with an old school friend of our eldest, who spent a lot of time at our home back in the day. She is mattied to a local boy who has the job of maintaining the railway and is currently somewhat busy. The breakdown though is not his fault, but is 9n fact a landslide which they now have to stabilise before they can start operations again. They’re expecting it to take weeks rather than days to resolve.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1815 on: 09 April, 2018, 03:41:49 pm »
Service in 1st Class on this GWR train isn't nearly as good as that of VirginTrains.   No hot food brought to my seat, and no (unlimited) wine?!?   :o    I'd write to my MP about this, but he's a pleb and wouldn't understand.  I'll comfort myself with the thought I won't have to worry about being given plastic glasses and/or cutlery rather than proper crystal and silverware.

On the other hand, the carriage itself is much nicer than a Pendelino: the toilets are practically luxurious, and the whole carriage doesn't smell of poo.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1816 on: 09 April, 2018, 05:23:04 pm »
It’s got so cold in Johannesburg that I need to put a sweater on to go outside after dusk.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1817 on: 10 April, 2018, 05:27:00 pm »
Chardonnay rouge exists and is even AOC.  And the Californians do it too.

Strictly speaking 'Chardonnay' is not an AOC (appellation d'origine contrôlée) - it is a grape varietal. The AOC applies to where the grape is grown/wine produced, rather than the varietal.  The varietal may appear in an AOC label but only when accompanied by an area (e.g. 'Bourgogne Chardonnay').
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1818 on: 12 April, 2018, 02:53:30 pm »
The default fletchings on the new set of arrows that have just turned up are not aesthetically pleasing1, but they are both functional and apparently well attached thus the need to change them for something prettier and difficult to change if I chose to. Hrumph. Oh, and the nocks are ugly too!

1. As any archer who hasn’t disappeared up his own fundamental will tell the type and colour of your fletchings are the most important element when choosing new arrows.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #1819 on: 12 April, 2018, 02:57:46 pm »
Oh, and the nocks are ugly too!

I'm not sure I want to know

I do know, actually, bit thought a statement like that required a comment like this
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1820 on: 12 April, 2018, 03:28:30 pm »
It's frozen. Just let it go . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #1821 on: 14 April, 2018, 06:03:45 pm »
Waiting for an absolute age - with an impressively muddy Yorkshire lanes dirty car, for the proud owner of a white BMW to finish manicuring their car at infinitum.     
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #1822 on: 02 May, 2018, 11:25:50 am »
I have broken the jug on the coffee filter machine. The new one I ordered from Amazon wont arrive until tomorrow. Until then I will be forced to make coffee with an Aeropress.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #1823 on: 02 May, 2018, 02:28:09 pm »
I've just had an email from the travel company through which I'd booked a family holiday for the half-term asking me for the details of the flights that they were supposed to have arranged.  There look to be no flights available to the destination on the days we are supposed to be travelling.  >:(
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1824 on: 02 May, 2018, 03:57:42 pm »
The HobNobs have been finished. Oh! The humanity . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.