Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 338313 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #2500 on: 17 December, 2020, 02:56:59 pm »
Do you have a garage, shed or other outhouse?

A decent hamper is fairly rat-proof...

« Reply #2501 on: 17 December, 2020, 03:07:47 pm »
Its pretty cool in a loft at this time of the year.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #2502 on: 17 December, 2020, 04:05:09 pm »
We received a hamper today from work, for our Zoom Christmas lunch tomorrow.  I've run out of room in the fridge now... and I have a veg box delivery in the morning.

Anyone else read that as 'hamster' on first view? Only me?

« Reply #2503 on: 17 December, 2020, 04:24:35 pm »
I honestly don't know why all showers aren't like this (I don't need bed-based activation, it only takes a few seconds). Select temperature, wait, get in. Yet everywhere I go, it's still the random bloody mixer taps, endless jiggery trying to get the right temperature and then, thirty seconds later it goes hot, cold, hot, cold, or you inadvertently activate the scald/freeze feature with your arse because the tap is right there.

Hotels were terrible for this, every new stay came with the first-morning horror of figuring out the shower.

You don't need anything digital. We've got a bog standard thermostatic bar mixer shower, once it has warmed up to the selected temperature (shock horror, an analogue dial) it stays at that temperature. Turn on shower, wait for it to be warm enough to get in, get in. (If the hot water pressure dips then it reduces to cold feed to compensate.)

The temperature dial is separate to the on/off/flow dial.

Less electronics or other plumbing to go wrong too.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2504 on: 17 December, 2020, 04:26:36 pm »
We received a hamper today from work, for our Zoom Christmas lunch tomorrow.  I've run out of room in the fridge now... and I have a veg box delivery in the morning.

Anyone else read that as 'hamster' on first view? Only me?

I read it as 'hampster', on account of being on the internet in the late 1990s.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2505 on: 17 December, 2020, 04:27:06 pm »
Its pretty cool in a loft at this time of the year.

(Un)fortunately, not in our very well insulated loft...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

« Reply #2506 on: 17 December, 2020, 04:30:11 pm »
We have one of those digital showers. You set the temperature and it blinks until it's ready. There's no danger at all of cold. It's my favourite thing.

One of the joys of my old house was a shower which you could turn on from the bed, and it would let you know when it was up to temperature. It was my one demand when I had the en-suite bathroom rebuilt. It'll be on my list of essentials when I rebuild the bathroom in my current house.

I had an ex who was very into his automation (and this was in the early days of the web, wi-fi, Bluetooth et al).  He had almost entirely automated his flat, albeit that some of the automations were somewhat Heath Robinsonesque.  One of the great luxuries was being able to make a cup of coffee from the bedroom or run a bath from the sitting room.

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

« Reply #2507 on: 17 December, 2020, 04:32:16 pm »
Do you have a garage, shed or other outhouse?

A decent hamper is fairly rat-proof...

I'll stick the veg box in Jon's shed until lunch is over...

We have two freezers but could really do with two fridges.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #2508 on: 17 December, 2020, 04:45:46 pm »
All of this.
And this.

ian

« Reply #2509 on: 17 December, 2020, 06:59:04 pm »
I honestly don't know why all showers aren't like this (I don't need bed-based activation, it only takes a few seconds). Select temperature, wait, get in. Yet everywhere I go, it's still the random bloody mixer taps, endless jiggery trying to get the right temperature and then, thirty seconds later it goes hot, cold, hot, cold, or you inadvertently activate the scald/freeze feature with your arse because the tap is right there.

Hotels were terrible for this, every new stay came with the first-morning horror of figuring out the shower.

You don't need anything digital. We've got a bog standard thermostatic bar mixer shower, once it has warmed up to the selected temperature (shock horror, an analogue dial) it stays at that temperature. Turn on shower, wait for it to be warm enough to get in, get in. (If the hot water pressure dips then it reduces to cold feed to compensate.)

The temperature dial is separate to the on/off/flow dial.

Less electronics or other plumbing to go wrong too.

Digital is more fun. It has blue lights, the most important colour. And it lets you set increments of 0.5 degrees for absolute comfort. It's basically a dial though, you whoosh it around the numbers change. I don't think we've changed the setting ever (I can't even remember what it is) – it might not even work, the water might just be that temperature, but it has a big LED that flashes once you press the big button (there's a sensible pause to allow you to remove your hands from the cubicle) till it's safe to get in. All you really need to do the press the same button for on and then off at the end.

« Reply #2510 on: 28 December, 2020, 11:55:26 am »
mini ao burnt her bagel in the the toaster, and now trying to argue it's the responsibility of the last person (moi) to use said applicance to turn it back down to 'normal', from a crumpet setting of "5".  Surely not; check before use isn't it?   ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2511 on: 28 December, 2020, 12:08:30 pm »
mini ao burnt her bagel in the the toaster, and now trying to argue it's the responsibility of the last person (moi) to use said applicance to turn it back down to 'normal', from a crumpet setting of "5".  Surely not; check before use isn't it?   ;)
This reminds me of Kim's ponder on whose responsibility it is to check clothes for tissues before washing.  The owner or the launderer.

In either situation I would suggest that both are responsible.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2512 on: 28 December, 2020, 12:18:44 pm »
The best house-trained of Mrs h's Uni housemates used to squirt Jif around the bath after she got out, on the grounds that no-one else cleaned the bath, so she would always have to clean it before she got in, and by providing a fresh squirt of Jif all round the next user would be obliged to clean it too.
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2513 on: 28 December, 2020, 12:20:40 pm »
This reminds me of Kim's ponder on whose responsibility it is to check clothes for tissues before washing.  The owner or the launderer.

I was thinking of the toilet seat argument.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2514 on: 28 December, 2020, 12:27:38 pm »

The logical answer to the toilet seat argument is for everyone to put the LID down, then everyone has the same responsibility.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #2515 on: 28 December, 2020, 12:57:56 pm »
Trying to adjust the shifting on the soot bike, presently on the turbo, I find I’ve forgotten the pass key to let me in to the app.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2516 on: 28 December, 2020, 01:00:28 pm »

The logical answer to the toilet seat argument is for everyone to put the LID down, then everyone has the same responsibility.

I'm of the unfashionable opinion that you should check toilet seats before use, rather than blindly sitting on them.  They might have the lid down, the seat up, be covered in piss, full of bleach or harbouring Giant Antipodean Spiders or something.  (This is also the optimal algorithm for minimising toilet seat state changes, which isn't necessarily a good thing if you only discover how minging the loo is when someone who pees standing up comes to visit.)  It seems like an equally sensible approach to toaster calibration.

« Reply #2517 on: 28 December, 2020, 05:39:04 pm »
The lemony stink from our neighbours tumble dryer exhaust is nauseating. God knows (as it appears to be venting into their conservatory) what it smells like to them.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2518 on: 28 December, 2020, 05:41:04 pm »
The lemony stink from our neighbours tumble dryer exhaust is nauseating. God knows (as it appears to be venting into their conservatory) what it smells like to them.

If they're not smokers, they probably ought to get a covid test...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2519 on: 28 December, 2020, 05:55:26 pm »

If they're not smokers, they probably ought to get a covid test...
Nah, they've been conditioned by decades of Fairy Liquid etc to think of synthetic lemon as the smell of cleanness. (And having been there, had that, the absence of smell is a sensation in itself – a most strange one.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2520 on: 28 December, 2020, 06:01:02 pm »
Ah yes, splashing lots of Synthetic Lemon Scented Cleaning Product around is a tired (TBAGO) and tested technique for ensuring you get your deposit back when you move house.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2521 on: 28 December, 2020, 06:10:39 pm »
Ah yes, splashing lots of Synthetic Lemon Scented Cleaning Product around is a tired (TBAGO) and tested technique for ensuring you get your deposit back when you move house.

As a young officer cadet the person with the room at far end of the corridor would walk down the corridor spraying Pledge (other cleaning products were available in the NAAFI) 30 seconds before the arrival of the inspection team.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2522 on: 28 December, 2020, 11:34:44 pm »

NOOOO! PLEASE NO!!!

I usually reverse onto the seat without looking.

I don't want a closed lid!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2523 on: 28 December, 2020, 11:38:31 pm »
Nah, the logical answer then would be for everyone to use those stainless steel toilets with built in seats and no lids that are used in public toilets. Of course in other ways this might not be so good.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2524 on: 29 December, 2020, 12:14:02 am »
Nah, the logical answer then would be for everyone to use those stainless steel toilets with built in seats and no lids that are used in public toilets. Of course in other ways this might not be so good.

I once had a spectacular bout of food poisoning when staying at the New Dungeon Ghyll. This involved spending a day sitting in the car at a National Trust car park, because there was a loo nearby. It was August and I can guarantee you that I would have been very unhappy with that design of bog seat on a typical Lake District January day. 
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.