Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 338246 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #2525 on: 29 December, 2020, 12:32:36 am »
I like to be comfortable when I attend to my business. These things are horrible!

Bemis for the win!

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2526 on: 29 December, 2020, 11:06:58 am »
mini ao burnt her bagel in the the toaster, and now trying to argue it's the responsibility of the last person (moi) to use said applicance to turn it back down to 'normal', from a crumpet setting of "5".  Surely not; check before use isn't it?   ;)
This reminds me of Kim's ponder on whose responsibility it is to check clothes for tissues before washing.  The owner or the launderer.
I was thinking of the toilet seat argument.
The logical answer to the toilet seat argument is for everyone to put the LID down, then everyone has the same responsibility.

NOOOO! PLEASE NO!!!

I usually reverse onto the seat without looking.

I don't want a closed lid!
I believe that special circumstances may apply in some cases Helly, and we clever folk can sure accommodate those situations.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2527 on: 29 December, 2020, 11:53:40 am »
Trying to adjust the shifting on the soot bike, presently on the turbo, I find I’ve forgotten the pass key to let me in to the app.

<snort>
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2528 on: 29 December, 2020, 07:18:52 pm »
Because the Giant Babbage-Game Mod will not be finished by c.o.b. on December 31st its name will have to be changed :-[  This might mean as much as fifteen minutes extra faffing.  Is there a support group I can join?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2529 on: 29 December, 2020, 07:54:23 pm »
The lemony stink from our neighbours tumble dryer exhaust is nauseating. God knows (as it appears to be venting into their conservatory) what it smells like to them.

If they're not smokers, they probably ought to get a covid test...
Nah, they've been conditioned by decades of Fairy Liquid etc to think of synthetic lemon as the smell of cleanness. (And having been there, had that, the absence of smell is a sensation in itself – a most strange one.)

I detest the smell of these synthetic fragrances, to the extent that if the softner has been too liberally applied in the wash (Personally I would not bother using at all), then I just put them back in the wash unworn, I've had stuff so covered in it that it's made my eyes water on several occaisions.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2530 on: 30 December, 2020, 01:02:08 pm »
Agree with you on that.

I once saw a survey dividing countries of Europe into those which associated "clean smell" with lemon and those where it was pine. The only result I can remember though was pine for Germany, which isn't surprising.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2531 on: 30 December, 2020, 03:43:27 pm »
Speaking of unneeded fragrance, Ecover seem to have gone made making all their products super stinky now.
Sandalwood laundry liquid, seriously?   :sick:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2532 on: 30 December, 2020, 03:49:17 pm »
Speaking of unneeded fragrance, Ecover seem to have gone made making all their products super stinky now.
I've only been buying this since summer, so I have only known the weird lavender and sandalwood combo. Was it odourless previously?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2533 on: 30 December, 2020, 04:04:13 pm »
I've only been buying this since summer, so I have only known the weird lavender and sandalwood combo. Was it odourless previously?
Pretty much. They have seems to have massively increased the number of laundry products on their line now, they certainly didn't have all the coloured and dark coloured laundry liquids they have now. https://www.ecover.com/laundry/
Happily they also have a fragrance free line called 'Zero' which I was able to get after the Sandalwood incident.

« Reply #2534 on: 30 December, 2020, 04:51:04 pm »
Yebbut the Zero is bloody expensive  >:(. I guess the masses want to be asphyxiated by their clothing. I’ve still got half of the 15l refill bag-in-box of the old-style minimal perfume stuff left thankfully, and Dolphin Fitness still seem to selling it..

https://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en/ecover-non-bio-laundry-liquid-150000-ml/86745
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2535 on: 30 December, 2020, 05:25:07 pm »
The lemony stink from our neighbours tumble dryer exhaust is nauseating. God knows (as it appears to be venting into their conservatory) what it smells like to them.

If they're not smokers, they probably ought to get a covid test...
Nah, they've been conditioned by decades of Fairy Liquid etc to think of synthetic lemon as the smell of cleanness. (And having been there, had that, the absence of smell is a sensation in itself – a most strange one.)

I detest the smell of these synthetic fragrances, to the extent that if the softner has been too liberally applied in the wash (Personally I would not bother using at all), then I just put them back in the wash unworn, I've had stuff so covered in it that it's made my eyes water on several occaisions.

You're not the only one. In my case, fabric softener or detergent residue triggers my eczema, so my washing is all in done in no-scent Ecover, with minimum 4 rinses and fast spins in between each rinse.

GC

« Reply #2536 on: 30 December, 2020, 06:32:21 pm »
We use Surcare which is unscented.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2537 on: 30 December, 2020, 08:28:17 pm »
Damn hippies.

« Reply #2538 on: 30 December, 2020, 09:28:40 pm »
RE: toilet seat positioning:
About a score of years ago,  my son's elementary school had an "invent something" activity for his grade level.
Perhaps 60 student-inventors, perhaps evenly divided by gender, and about three of the young men had toilet seat/lid positioning devices.
I can imagine the child coming home and saying "Mom, I have to invent something for school" - and Mom knowing exactly what to suggest.

ian

« Reply #2539 on: 30 December, 2020, 10:05:46 pm »
Am I the only man who prefers to sit down (I call it a sittenpissen, not to be confused with a shittenpissen, which is the combo one and two motion, so I suppose it's really a sittenshittenpissen if you're in the mood)?

Standing up, god, it's splashing everywhere, you're coated in and breathing your own (and, if in a public bog, everyone else's) filthy nephritic miasma.

It ensures that myself and the female of the species are on the same wavelength. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should (though if any of you have seen Utopia, Jessica makes a fine example of disregarding toilet seat placement). Though, let's face it, if you're in a Wetherspoons (a mistake that announces itself), it's probably better not to sit down, but get someone to hold the doors open and make a ballistic golden arc from your position at the bar.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2540 on: 30 December, 2020, 10:16:13 pm »
). Though, let's face it, if you're in a Wetherspoons (a mistake that announces itself), it's probably better not to sit down, but get someone to hold the doors open and make a ballistic golden arc from your position at the bar.
THAT is why the toilets in W/spoons get into such a dreadful state in the first place!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #2541 on: 30 December, 2020, 10:52:42 pm »
Some of them you need wellies just to get near the loo.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2542 on: 30 December, 2020, 11:58:25 pm »
I challenge any bloke, no matter his prowess, to pee from the bar to the bogs in our local Brexitspoons

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2543 on: 31 December, 2020, 12:42:11 am »
Am I the only man who prefers to sit down (I call it a sittenpissen, not to be confused with a shittenpissen, which is the combo one and two motion, so I suppose it's really a sittenshittenpissen if you're in the mood)?

The correct German term for one who sits down on the job is sitzpinkler.  You may die happy knowing this.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2544 on: 31 December, 2020, 01:07:15 am »
I think I knew this.

Is it true that some public toilets request men sit on the job in Germany?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2545 on: 31 December, 2020, 06:16:46 am »
German women train men to sit on loos for most purposes.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #2546 on: 31 December, 2020, 08:21:49 am »
My friends flat in Germany they asked you sat as was a low profile pan to fit under a sloped roof so splash back was a problem

Quite frankly I think most people sit so reducing the risk of dropping the phone down the bog

I'm not on the toilet atm just for clarification

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #2547 on: 31 December, 2020, 08:25:18 am »
Harder to find, but BioD is basically the same and no stenches. Both are coconut-oil-based soaps (assuming that they haven't changed in the last 25 years), as are the washing-up liquids. Undiluted pH of the WuL is about 5.5.
In the early '90s, the warden of a YH wanted to change to Ecover and, bizarrely, wanted the H&S data. I obtained it for her and of course read through it. One point that was remarkable was, under 'Ingestion', 'Don't drink too much of it at once'! Not sure that would be OK nowadays. Might have been about that time that other WuL manufacturers were adding Bitrex to stop the kiddies from drinking it.
I used Ecover, then BioD, WuL for shower, shampoo and laundry when touring. A 150ml bottle would last 2 - 3 weeks. The pH when diluted is much closer to that of the skin than is any soap.
BTW, if it bothers you, Ecover was taken over by a company that tests products on animals; my local wholefoods Co-op no longer stocks Ecover (Waitrose still does).
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2548 on: 31 December, 2020, 10:47:43 am »
BioD laundry is very gloopy. Their WuL is not. Neither smell of anything much. Potassium cocoate is the first ingredient on the LL but not mentioned on WuL.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2549 on: 31 December, 2020, 05:55:21 pm »
German women train men to sit on loos for most purposes.

"Most purposes"  ??? ;)