Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 338630 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #2850 on: 01 December, 2022, 09:16:33 pm »
I won't call a TV 'smart' until it can dress in black tie and hold sparkling conversation at my dinner table.

Alternatively, I might settle for playing me the exact programmes I want, when I want, even if they haven't been made yet.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2851 on: 01 December, 2022, 10:37:43 pm »
My TV allows me to sort the channels into the Right Order.
1 is BBC1 HD
2 is BBC 2 HD
Followed by other BBC channels, then ITV1-4, Ch4 etc. Bin the shopping channels and so on.
Does anyone else do this?
Me.
Rust never sleeps

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2852 on: 01 December, 2022, 11:14:46 pm »
My TV allows me to sort the channels into the Right Order.
1 is BBC1 HD
2 is BBC 2 HD
Followed by other BBC channels, then ITV1-4, Ch4 etc. Bin the shopping channels and so on.
Does anyone else do this?
Me.
I always knew that hatler chap was a good sort.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2853 on: 01 December, 2022, 11:20:29 pm »
I did until the box started needing to be retuned ever couple of months, at which point I gave up.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2854 on: 02 December, 2022, 12:28:37 am »
I used to have a computer[1] running MythTV to watch telly for me, and I have unpleasant memories of arsing about with SQL[2] on an irregular basis to keep the channels aligned with the listings.  Bonus points for having an analogue tuner that knew nothing of what it was receiving at any given moment, alongside the DVB cards, for added complexity.

The great thing about living in The Future, is you can just pirate stuff.  Or watch it on the broadcaster's catch-up service, if you don't mind shitverts and/or broken subtitles.

[1] It was more a sort of retirement home for old hard drives, really.
[2] For reasons to tedious to get into, I side-stepped my way into the second year of a CompSci degree, and handily missed all the stuff about databases, professional ethics and the three-lecture if statement extravaganza.  In combination with curmudgeonly eschewing of any web technology more advanced than HTML3, I've handily never managed to never get past the voodoo stage of SQL programming.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #2855 on: 02 December, 2022, 11:08:51 am »
Quote from: Kim
...never managed to never get past the voodoo stage of SQL programming.
*No-one* gets past the voodoo stage of SQL "programming".  TruFax.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #2856 on: 16 December, 2022, 04:35:54 pm »
Friday afternoons at work should be a time to start to slow down for weekend and Fridays are generally quieter

However when I put Gardeners Question Time I tend to get more phone calls or people wanting my attention

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2857 on: 16 December, 2022, 05:13:54 pm »
Friday afternoons at work should be a time to start to slow down for weekend and Fridays are generally quieter

However when I put Gardeners Question Time I tend to get more phone calls or people wanting my attention

Probably the "oh shit, I'd better get this seen to before the weekend" crowd. When my wife was translating, Friday afternoons were often soul-destroying: "The client is going to London, you can do this for 8am on Monday morning can't you?" followed by an anxious "I already told him your usual rate and they said OK".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2858 on: 17 December, 2022, 12:36:03 pm »

Probably the "oh shit, I'd better get this seen to before the weekend" crowd. When my wife was translating, Friday afternoons were often soul-destroying: "The client is going to London, you can do this for 8am on Monday morning can't you?" followed by an anxious "I already told him your usual rate and they said OK".
And when my work was checking and correcting other people's translations, Friday afternoons were always the busiest time of the week by far. Mondays were busy too, Tuesdays and Thursdays less so, Wednesday afternoons dragged on for ever.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2859 on: 17 December, 2022, 06:03:25 pm »
Our (LED) Tv has developed a white spot and a blueish spot that the internet says might be the backlight diffusers which I can try and mend or just get a new one. The annoying thing is that our previous TV that I gifted to our eldest when we got the new one is still going strong. I’ve asked for it back and got a rude reply  :o
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2860 on: 02 January, 2023, 09:51:06 pm »
I’m fed up! I’ve done my research, I’ve checked and double checked. I’ve made a decision on the make and model. I’ve agreed the spend with the finance department and I’ve even agreed in principle the bigger size with the estates department.

But I’ve now decided that I think 55” might be too much of any man and wand something a bit small, say 50” or 52” or their abouts. Do they make my desired product in 52” or even for that matter 50”. No. No they do not. They offer 48” but I’ve already got 48” and had set my heart on something a little bigger. And I think a jump of 7” might just be a bit too much.

So I either start my research all over again or work out how I’m going to convince Dr Besrdy that 55” isn’t too much to accept.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #2861 on: 05 January, 2023, 09:13:26 pm »
No Brie or Camembert available at the usual suspects. Not good enough. Whatever could have caused this shortage? Just don't get me started on root vegetables.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2862 on: 05 January, 2023, 09:14:00 pm »
I’m fed up! I’ve done my research, I’ve checked and double checked. I’ve made a decision on the make and model. I’ve agreed the spend with the finance department and I’ve even agreed in principle the bigger size with the estates department.

But I’ve now decided that I think 55” might be too much of any man and wand something a bit small, say 50” or 52” or their abouts. Do they make my desired product in 52” or even for that matter 50”. No. No they do not. They offer 48” but I’ve already got 48” and had set my heart on something a little bigger. And I think a jump of 7” might just be a bit too much.

So I either start my research all over again or work out how I’m going to convince Dr Besrdy that 55” isn’t too much to accept.
55" will be just fine.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2863 on: 10 January, 2023, 05:39:41 pm »
I bought the new TV today, yeah! But I’ve got,too,wait for it to be delivered now. Booo!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2864 on: 13 January, 2023, 11:58:55 am »
Returning coffee pods, as any First-Worlder should do, I decided to print the return labels onto sticky labels (that I have had to send parcels with, but only used a few) and stick the labels onto the plastic return bags to save sellotape.

Except the sticky labels aren't sticky, they are tacky. So I had to use sellotape anyway.
It is simpler than it looks.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2865 on: 28 January, 2023, 01:56:46 pm »
Dr Beardy was compiling this morning that a book she’s being waiting for has finally been published, but she can’t get it yet because her book group have just started up again and she has to read that book first.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2866 on: 29 January, 2023, 05:28:04 pm »
We ran out of gas for the sodastream on Friday and the replacement delivery isn’t until Wednesday. We’re having to drink unfizzy water.  >:(

« Reply #2867 on: 17 February, 2023, 07:46:41 am »
The cricket commentary is on talks sport not TMS

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #2868 on: 17 February, 2023, 10:23:50 am »
The cricket commentary is on talks sport not TMS
So that's why I can't find it!  Many thx.....

« Reply #2869 on: 17 February, 2023, 10:48:20 am »
It's a bit of a PITA as on phone you need to register but on talk sport 2. Also over early due to time differences

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2870 on: 17 February, 2023, 10:52:32 am »
It's on BY Sport too, which means rather poor updates from the BBC on their text service.
It is simpler than it looks.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2871 on: 10 March, 2023, 10:33:56 am »
I’ve just had to cancel my birthday lunch because Dr Beardy has had to have emergency dental treatment. The biggest ‘issue’ is going to be dealing with her guilt for ‘ruining’ my birthday.

So that’s £160 spent on dental treatment rather than the spend on a decadent lunch for two at a posh gastro pub.

« Reply #2872 on: 10 March, 2023, 01:16:24 pm »
My local M&S has temporarily stopped stocking my favourite cakes. Instead they have put flipping hot cross buns in their place.

« Reply #2873 on: 12 March, 2023, 11:34:40 am »
The batteries in my TV remote control have died and if you can get it to turn on you can't change the channel :-[

Looking through my battery powered items to see if there's anything I'm not using with a working set of AAA batteries.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

rr

« Reply #2874 on: 12 March, 2023, 11:46:14 am »
Smart rear light?

Sent from my motorola edge 20 using Tapatalk