Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 338435 times)

ian

Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #2900 on: 18 June, 2023, 08:35:05 pm »
Hunter wellies has gone bust. Whatever am I going to do?
Get some proper posh wellies.
Posh wellies.

I have a pair of Aigles. The French for some reason seem averse to calling them Wellies.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2901 on: 18 June, 2023, 08:46:03 pm »
Gum boots.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2902 on: 19 June, 2023, 12:32:47 am »
I have a pair of Aigles. The French for some reason seem averse to calling them Wellies.
Read that. Moved on to next thread. Penny dropped.

:thumbsup:
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2903 on: 19 June, 2023, 10:37:14 am »
I doubt if the term has travelled beyond the UK. When my dad first visited us here he asked if we got the Radio Times
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #2904 on: 19 June, 2023, 07:28:25 pm »
Apparently just boots. Also how much! They were bought by my wife who, in that eternal way of the female, seems incapable of buying footwear in the right size. They're very good though.

« Reply #2905 on: 28 June, 2023, 08:54:10 am »
I ordered a heart rate monitor on Sun eve.

It hasn't been dispatched yet. Wahoo cheerfully inform me that they've printed the shipping label.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2906 on: 12 July, 2023, 11:20:51 am »
It annoys me that after I’ve made a purchasing decision based on ‘get it tomorrow if ordered in the next 7 hour’, Amazon then change the delivery date and doesn’t even bother to inform me.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #2907 on: 17 July, 2023, 02:40:22 pm »
Sad to hear about hunter wellies, admitidly about 10 years ago sat in a training course with them and they opened by saying we tried to be fashionable and made poor boots so we're splitting the range and as i worked in agriculture they aimed to put quality back in the range we sold

The first time I sold a pair of le chameaux wellies I was a young un and even then think were around 200 quid. That was probably around my weekly wage. I had to go check with my manager there wasn't an error but the customer just paid without batting an eyelid

ian

« Reply #2908 on: 17 July, 2023, 07:52:47 pm »
I confess the expensive wellies are worth the money – was hiking in them throughout the wet season and they were comfy enough for 20km and show no sign of splitting or other damage. I had some Muck Boots before which were fine, but they eventually started to come apart where the neoprene meets the rubber and the seam at the back started to let in water. Plus they had a tussle with a barbed wire fence.

Why is the countryside filled with barbed wire, what purpose does it serve over just, well, a fence?

« Reply #2909 on: 17 July, 2023, 08:43:08 pm »
I confess the expensive wellies are worth the money – was hiking in them throughout the wet season and they were comfy enough for 20km and show no sign of splitting or other damage. I had some Muck Boots before which were fine, but they eventually started to come apart where the neoprene meets the rubber and the seam at the back started to let in water. Plus they had a tussle with a barbed wire fence.

Why is the countryside filled with barbed wire, what purpose does it serve over just, well, a fence?

I had a couple of pairs of muck boots and loved them. Comfy and warm for a day out beating, however both after a lot of use had the sole start to come off and wore through at the heel.

ian

« Reply #2910 on: 17 July, 2023, 08:58:18 pm »
The Muck Boots lasted two winters of heavy-duty walking, so not bad, the main failure was the seam at the back that holds the rubber together. Repairs don't seem to hold, so eventually the water gets back in, and there's nothing worse than leaky wellies.

« Reply #2911 on: 06 August, 2023, 06:10:31 pm »
we go on holiday tomorrow morning, so the iron decided today was the right time to stop working.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2912 on: 06 August, 2023, 09:33:32 pm »
we go on holiday tomorrow morning, so the iron decided today was the right time to stop working.

That might NOT be as inconvenient as you think.

I've read some SCIENCE somewhere that suggests that newly-ironed clothes crease more readily than those ironed less recently, when folded & packed.

Hang out your clothes shortly after you arrive, iron shortly before they're needed and enjoy your holiday!

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2913 on: 06 August, 2023, 09:37:16 pm »

Soldering or ski-waxing?

Soldering: you've probably left it a bit late, but WAGO connectors are good.
If you are going skiing in NZ, they will wax your skis in-resort.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2914 on: 07 August, 2023, 09:29:59 am »
And MrsT read years and years ago that ironing in the UK consumes a power-station's worth of electricity.  Since then we've been a bit rumpled.

« Reply #2915 on: 08 August, 2023, 07:41:16 am »
Sadly not NZ. Edinburgh for 3 days then Westhill for 3 days then Skye and west coast.

ian

« Reply #2916 on: 08 August, 2023, 08:45:51 pm »
I think one of the crowning achievements of my life so far is that I don't own a single item of clothing that needs ironing. Or that I can be bothered ironing. I was once tempted to use one of those trouser presses in a hotel but I then I figured there were troublingly good odds someone had either tried to make a panini in it or had performed some odd sex act with it and quite possibly both, simultaneously. There are, by my accounting, few stains that you want to see, and the ones in hotel rooms are the worst.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2917 on: 24 August, 2023, 02:37:28 pm »
The shower drain in my b&b room last night was very slow. This meant the shallow tray filled quickly close to overflowing and since I'm not the kind of person who'll flood a bathroom just because it's not mine a submariners/sailors/squaddies/call-it-what-you-like shower was called for.  It was a wonderful high flow shower just crying out for an indulgent long soak. Sadly not to be.

(Could have put this in the grumble thread but it feels very first worldy)
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #2918 on: 24 August, 2023, 03:09:59 pm »
I was told the other week that a friend couldn’t ride their bike as…

The charger for the DI2 was left at the old house.

There are good reasons but we had a little smile

ian

« Reply #2919 on: 24 August, 2023, 07:01:58 pm »
The shower drain in my b&b room last night was very slow. This meant the shallow tray filled quickly close to overflowing and since I'm not the kind of person who'll flood a bathroom just because it's not mine a submariners/sailors/squaddies/call-it-what-you-like shower was called for.  It was a wonderful high flow shower just crying out for an indulgent long soak. Sadly not to be.

Once upon a time, in a posh Floridian hotel, where the bath was big and was open to the ocean view, I opted for the obvious sudsy soak, filling said bath to the brim so I could lie back with a good book let the gloaming outside settle over the Atlantic. All was well until I pulled the plug at which point the contents of the bath started to fountain out of the drain in the middle of the bathroom floor.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2920 on: 25 August, 2023, 08:32:13 am »

Once upon a time, in a posh Floridian hotel, where the bath was big and was open to the ocean view, I opted for the obvious sudsy soak, filling said bath to the brim so I could lie back with a good book let the gloaming outside settle over the Atlantic. All was well until I pulled the plug at which point the contents of the bath started to fountain out of the drain in the middle of the bathroom floor.

In my PSO days I used to work summers as a bin man at Butlin's Minehead. The cheaper sections of the camp had two-storey lines of chalets.  One day a camper on the upper storey pulled the plug out of his bath and the bath downstairs filled up.

Happy days.

« Reply #2921 on: 25 August, 2023, 08:36:18 am »

In my PSO days I used to work summers as a bin man at Butlin's Minehead. The cheaper sections of the camp had two-storey lines of chalets.  One day a camper on the upper storey pulled the plug out of his bath and the bath downstairs filled up.

Happy days.

As long as it was just the bath that transferred its contents…

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2922 on: 25 August, 2023, 11:25:00 am »
Right enough, it was probably a common drain.  Had to keep the shellfish fed.

The staff chalets, of course, had communal cludges & bathrooms.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #2923 on: 01 September, 2023, 05:51:47 pm »
I had to buy a new calculator today as my the LCD display* on my Casio fx-100v has given up the ghost, my Commodore SR-4912 suffers from short term memory loss and resets to 0 part way through some calculations and my Ti-53 has no batteries and isn't worth buying batteries for as it was a lousy piece of kit from day one and I still haven't worked out why I haven't binned it.

The problem?  Since the mid 1970s (when I stopped using books of log and trig tables) I have been accustomed to typing the number followed by the function, i.e.  32 sin.  This new calculator (£6.50's worth of W.H. Smith's finest scientific calculator) throws all that out of the window. You have to press,  say, sin key enter the number and *then* press the = key.  What a sodding palaver. 

*I'm not entirely convinced it's the display itself as multiplying the display value by 10, 100 etc. sees the incorrectly rendered digit still rendered incorrectly.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2924 on: 01 September, 2023, 06:19:44 pm »
The problem?  Since the mid 1970s (when I stopped using books of log and trig tables) I have been accustomed to typing the number followed by the function, i.e.  32 sin.  This new calculator (£6.50's worth of W.H. Smith's finest scientific calculator) throws all that out of the window. You have to enter the number, press the, say, sin key and then press the = key.  What a sodding palaver. 

I think that was something Casio came up with in the mid 1990s[1], as I remember seeking out the most functional exam-legal calculator, and it was equipped with this Shiny! New! VPAM technology.

It didn't bother me especially, as by that point I was used to a non-exam-legal programmable graphing model, where entering compound operations in a computery style followed by the enter key seemed entirely reasonable.

TI purists will be along in a minute to explain why reverse-polish notation is the One True Way...

I've barely touched any of my calculators since my PSO days, as the correlation between needing to perform some arithmetic and having a Turing-complete computing device in front of me, or at least in my pocket[2] has been approximately 100%.

[1] The development of calculator technology ground to a halt at around the same time that the development of printers did.
[2] Very occasionally I fire up the excellent TechCalc on my phone.  It's the sort of thing my teenage self would have loved, but the reality is that entering more than a handful of numbers on a touchscreen is nasty.