Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 338158 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #2925 on: 01 September, 2023, 08:26:19 pm »
Has he been banned permanently?
It would seem that he’s served his time because the Graun has just published a Martin Rowson cartoon. And complementary of the Government it isn’t.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #2926 on: 07 September, 2023, 10:07:50 pm »
Hundreds of people have contacted BBC News about struggling to pay their vet bills.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #2927 on: 23 September, 2023, 07:54:59 pm »
My trusty digital camera (Panasonic Lumix TZ3) actually my 4th one, decided to let the bloody amazing photos (even if I say so myself), I took this morning, escape.

The only possibility is that it received a command to delete all of today's shots.

Just in case they are still on the SD card, and some whizz of a tech head knows how to get them, I have locked the card and put it safe until someone clever can work on it.

There were two absolutely amazing shots. I was absolutely gutted when I could not find them anywhere on the memory card.

"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2928 on: 23 September, 2023, 08:20:12 pm »
If they were saved to the card you should be able to recover them on a computer, with the appropriate software.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2929 on: 23 September, 2023, 08:48:37 pm »
PhotoRec generally works great in these situations:

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #2930 on: 23 September, 2023, 09:20:19 pm »
Quite the best way to find out one has a small, and hitherto undetected, cut on one's finger is to squeeze lemon juice over one's smoked salmon.

Oww. Hurty.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #2931 on: 25 September, 2023, 07:37:09 pm »
If they were saved to the card you should be able to recover them on a computer, with the appropriate software.

Nice one thanks guys.

Took some more shots yesterday morning to redress the balance of man and machine. Managed to save these ones and get them backed up. Phew!

Here's the best photo I have ever planned, and everything came together at once...

"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2932 on: 25 September, 2023, 07:44:10 pm »
I like that :)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2933 on: 25 September, 2023, 07:53:15 pm »
I like that :)
Thank you Jaded. :thumbsup:
It depended on a lot of things happening all at once -
i) suitable height of tide,
ii) wind direction (Osprey had to face the same way as the boat),
iii) the bird had to catch a fish for breakfast,
iv) the bird had to land on the boat superstructure to eat the fish,
v) there had to be a dusty atmosphere and no clouds (good chance of that this time of year in Egypt)
vi) boat had to be moored in exactly the same spot as the day before, (that was pure fluke).
vii) me stirring from my slumber in time.

« Reply #2934 on: 03 October, 2023, 04:38:32 pm »

EVs for young children - is that a first-world problem?

« Reply #2935 on: 03 October, 2023, 05:48:01 pm »
A 'two pannier' shop, and didn't have a £1 coin or disc for a small trolley release, so had to try and pile it all in one arm busting shopping basket.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2936 on: 03 October, 2023, 08:57:02 pm »

Ah, a Birmingham Tricycle.

Smalls around here seem as likely to be riding on (usually cheaper, nastier) little electric cars with their charming power-drill motor whine as they would something pedal-powered.  I note they're starting to become a regular sighting at campsites (at least the big ones with small-wheel-friendly access roads).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2937 on: 03 October, 2023, 09:19:03 pm »
First time I saw them was about 2005 on our block in Poland.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2938 on: 03 October, 2023, 09:29:48 pm »
Pizza night and I've run out of anchovies  :'(
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #2939 on: 03 October, 2023, 10:36:03 pm »

I didn't get on too well with that one... nor another one I found, then I asked my son (a highly respected software engineer) who suggested that www.r-undelete.com came well recommended. That worked very well.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2940 on: 04 October, 2023, 02:06:32 pm »

Ah, a Birmingham Tricycle.

Smalls around here seem as likely to be riding on (usually cheaper, nastier) little electric cars with their charming power-drill motor whine as they would something pedal-powered.  I note they're starting to become a regular sighting at campsites (at least the big ones with small-wheel-friendly access roads).

Petrol-head next door got something similar for his offspring when he was less than a year old (offspring, that is. Not sure about bloke.)  Kid sits in it staring wide-eyed while pa walks behind with remote and does the driving.

Might be an idea to fit such gadgets out with Roomba sensors & electronics.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2941 on: 04 October, 2023, 03:53:02 pm »
...or with vacuum cleaners and lawnmowers?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2942 on: 04 October, 2023, 04:01:12 pm »
Or with pedals.

Let's be honest, this is xkcd://560 jealousy.  I'd have loved something like that as a small, in much the same way as a Kettler pedal car (which in my case I had not got).

« Reply #2943 on: 04 October, 2023, 05:06:23 pm »

These have existed for a long time, with different shells. Inside you’ll find an 12V SLA battery and a very low tech radio controlled car circuit board, probably exactly the same as they were installing in the 90s or whenever these started.

« Reply #2944 on: 04 October, 2023, 07:21:44 pm »
I saw a mother pushing a pushchair complete with tablet for the baby to watch the other day. I worry for the future 🙄
the slower you go the more you see

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2945 on: 05 October, 2023, 04:41:58 pm »
I saw a mother pushing a pushchair complete with tablet for the baby to watch the other day. I worry for the future 🙄
Have you seen Wall-E? It’s a commentary on the direction of travel of the human race.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2946 on: 05 October, 2023, 04:48:43 pm »
Have you seen Wall-E? It’s a commentary on the direction of travel of the human race.

But not the into space bit.  There'll be a prime minister along in a minute to announce that future space flights will stop in the mesosphere in order to cut costs.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #2947 on: 30 October, 2023, 07:45:27 pm »
Has anybody else noticed this blatant example of 'skimpflation'.
Tanqueray London Dry Gin is now  41.3% alcohol by volume , down from 43.1% If you can find any of the 43.1% stuff still knocking around I advise you to get in quick before it disappears.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #2948 on: 30 October, 2023, 08:26:05 pm »
Has anybody else noticed this blatant example of 'skimpflation'.
Tanqueray London Dry Gin is now  41.3% alcohol by volume , down from 43.1% If you can find any of the 43.1% stuff still knocking around I advise you to get in quick before it disappears.

I don’t recall the fine detail, but it’s a result of recent changes in alcohol taxation.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2949 on: 30 October, 2023, 10:01:51 pm »
Tanqueray is meh anyway.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.