Author Topic: Front lights for night riding  (Read 2370 times)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Front lights for night riding
« on: 25 October, 2019, 10:18:44 am »
Can anyone recommend a front light that will show the way in country lanes (Audax style) - ideally 8 hours of output and something rechargeable rather than single-use batteries? TIA.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Re: Front lights for night riding
« Reply #1 on: 25 October, 2019, 11:22:07 am »
Take your pick from these lights:

https://exposurelights.com/products/bike

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 25 October, 2019, 11:33:15 am »
^The Strada's pretty good.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #3 on: 25 October, 2019, 12:46:32 pm »
... and anything for under three figures? :)
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 25 October, 2019, 12:55:37 pm »
Fenix have some nice bike lights. Most of them have a shaped beam, good for on road riding, without dazzling traffic.
The Fenix BC21R V2.0 looks good. Available for about £60 or so.
Should be bright enough on medium or high power, so give pretty good battery life. USB-C charging, and uses 18650 batteries, so can carry a spare if necessary.

« Reply #5 on: 25 October, 2019, 01:12:18 pm »
^Fenix, especially if purchased cannily, offer good quality for not silly money.

These days I favour the internal battery models with digital charge readout for added frison of 'will I make it or wont I?'

« Reply #6 on: 25 October, 2019, 02:54:42 pm »
I use one of these. You’ll need an 18650 (don’t buy the bundled one, it’ll be shite) and a suitable mount, of which there are many many options:
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32907389580.html

Circular beam, which may not be to your liking.

« Reply #8 on: 29 October, 2019, 12:26:28 pm »
There seem to be a number of decently bright LED lights with pretty effective 'anti-glare' shaped beams, at the low end price points(<£12) on Amazon.  I have a Coukou light (see reviews board), though this is now only available from China, and also testing another make (below), with the same core top-mounted LED antiglare reflector housing.  At this price point you're not getting something very robust, but easy to mount two and one as back up.  The two types I have seem to be able to charge via an Anker battery pack while being used, which greatly increases their utility.  I have a waterproof topeak tribag for the anker, and have trialled  using while charging, though not for overnight.  Waterproofness is often claimed, but I would supplement with a bag in a downpour. I would also take a backup waterproof USB cabled T6XML (if major rain forecast).

e.g. 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #9 on: 29 October, 2019, 05:45:29 pm »
DON'T bother with one of these for ON ROAD use.
Unless you want to blind oncoming traffic.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-8000LM-LED-CREE-XML-T6-Bike-Front-Lamp-Bicycle-Cycling-Torch-Headlight-UK-YM/401811029843?epid=8033654784&hash=item5d8dcdbf53:g:qqYAAOSw4yJdJa0L

Pretty good for off-road but the batteries are not that good/don't last that long, You'll be lucky to get 2 hrs burn time.
I made a couple of battery packs from recycled laptop batteries that are much better, last 3X longer giving around 4-6hrs burn time on high.

Also they get very HOT!*(the lights not the Batteries)* You need gloves to handle/move them if they get knocked.

If they did them with a road beam I'd use them instead of dynamo lights.

Edit*

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 29 October, 2019, 06:44:11 pm »
I used a B&M Ixon IQ Premium for the Dunwich Dynamo, on one set of lithium AAs (the light comes with rechargeables).  It was fine.  Run at low power in towns, high power in the country.  Amazon were doing them for £24 earlier this year.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #11 on: 05 November, 2019, 02:22:50 pm »
DON'T bother with one of these for ON ROAD use.
Unless you want to blind oncoming traffic.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-8000LM-LED-CREE-XML-T6-Bike-Front-Lamp-Bicycle-Cycling-Torch-Headlight-UK-YM/401811029843?epid=8033654784&hash=item5d8dcdbf53:g:qqYAAOSw4yJdJa0L

Pretty good for off-road but the batteries are not that good/don't last that long, You'll be lucky to get 2 hrs burn time.
I made a couple of battery packs from recycled laptop batteries that are much better, last 3X longer giving around 4-6hrs burn time on high.

Also they get very HOT!*(the lights not the Batteries)* You need gloves to handle/move them if they get knocked.

If they did them with a road beam I'd use them instead of dynamo lights.

Edit*

If you get one of these and tweak it a bit, you can make a very good light. 
Actually, don't get this one, but a similar one which has a USB connection so it will work off a power bank, and isn't insanely bright.  Then you need to swap the glass at the front for a fresnel lens and the  rubber band mount for a Hope-style one - both from www.candb-seen.co.uk for less than £10.
You'll then have a bright but non-dazzling light that will give c.10 hours life from a 10Ah power bank.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #12 on: 05 November, 2019, 02:29:54 pm »
I was reminded how good my moon vortex was in the Upper Thames. The low light setting was ideal for being seen, but the full beans mode also did a great job for seeing ahead. My version has a swap out-able 18650 battery so I could just pop another in, but the light was fine for the full days cycling (riding 45 mins to the station in the dark in the morning, and about 4 hours of riding in the dark during the Audax, plus about another 30 mins from train station to home). In all this time the battery indicator stayed on full.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.