Author Topic: Members Fixed Gear & SS  (Read 334982 times)

Tail End Charlie

Re: Members Fixed Gear & SS
« Reply #825 on: 05 June, 2012, 07:51:25 am »
That's a great set up, Chris. I've never heard of the WRT and have just spent some time looking at the site, great stuff on it. I used to do similar when much younger and am beginning to wonder if I could do again. Hmmmm.
Thankyou so much for bringing to my attention.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #826 on: 05 June, 2012, 12:54:26 pm »

A few new bits. Specialized phat bar tape, its very nice to touch.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #827 on: 05 June, 2012, 01:08:26 pm »
That's a great set up, Chris. I've never heard of the WRT and have just spent some time looking at the site, great stuff on it. I used to do similar when much younger and am beginning to wonder if I could do again. Hmmmm.
Thankyou so much for bringing to my attention.
It's something I've sorta-kinda looked at over the past couple of years - I'll be looking at it a bit more seriously now that I've made a few Plans (the capital P is justified ;) ). The Dyfi Enduro is in my sights too - not quite the WRT, but good preparation if nowt else.

There's also the fact that I've not been to Wales for ages, and it'd be a great chance to catch up with some folks I was at Uni with.

bloomers100

« Reply #828 on: 06 June, 2012, 09:25:04 am »

Mid commute this morning.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #829 on: 06 June, 2012, 10:57:28 am »
That's a very low position.  But a nice set up.
Getting there...

bloomers100

« Reply #830 on: 06 June, 2012, 11:02:13 am »
You're right, just giving it a try, had flat bullhorns before. Its a good way to get my belly on the crossbar.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #831 on: 06 June, 2012, 11:05:23 am »
I have quite a low position, but I couldn't manage something that extreme for commuting.  if it suits you, then fine.  I'm certainly looking at flat bullhorns for my conversions.
Getting there...

Re: Enigma Fixed Wheel - total overkill... but nice!
« Reply #832 on: 23 June, 2012, 07:04:36 pm »

I've just finished some fettling - replace rear mudguard as it had cracked, replace Carradice for an Altura Arran seat post bag, bit of maintenance here and there, new chain (KMC D-101) and fitted some MKS NJS Chain tugs to get things in perfect alignment - this new shot was so sparkly, I just had to put it up to compare it with the previous dull version  ;D

Iawn, cont? It's a 67.4" by the way.

« Reply #833 on: 23 June, 2012, 07:10:25 pm »
Tidy  :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #834 on: 28 August, 2012, 09:59:04 am »
Touring fixed
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #835 on: 28 August, 2012, 10:10:58 am »
Touring fixed

I'll join you if you're off to Holland, the Fens or you've found a country which is entirely downhill.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #836 on: 28 August, 2012, 10:19:47 am »
It was between Cambridge and Mildenhall, so, while there were a couple of hills between Kennett and the Wilbrahams, it wasn't exactly mountainous.

I'm definitely paying for it today, though.
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #837 on: 28 August, 2012, 12:18:25 pm »

A few new bits. Specialized phat bar tape, its very nice to touch.

I think this may be one of the nicest looking Fixed bikes I've seen.

bloomers100

« Reply #838 on: 28 August, 2012, 03:17:11 pm »
Cheers. I'm swapping the bars for drops with brakes though for a slightly less extreme position and some A319 wheels.

I'll post a picture when done though.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #839 on: 29 August, 2012, 04:38:21 pm »
On my Surrey 100k

I was actually heading to Ripley, but couldn't lean the bike from the other side ;D
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #840 on: 30 August, 2012, 10:30:50 am »
What ratio are you running?  Every time I go off road, I wish for higher and lower gears in rapid succession.
Getting there...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #841 on: 30 August, 2012, 11:14:37 am »
What ratio are you running?  Every time I go off road, I wish for higher and lower gears in rapid succession.

Umm, don't know - 18 at the back and what was the middle ring at the front. It's quite hard up my hill and too spinny on the way down, so I figure it's about right all round. I only use it on unmetalled roads at worst though as I'm running M+s at the mo. Sorry, not much help I know.

Probably 32 if it's a standard mtb ring. 32:18's as good a starting point as any :) for a ss mountain bike. It's gets easier but you'll always end up walking - as someone has in their sig on another forum "I have three speeds: sitting, standing and pushing"

LEE

« Reply #842 on: 30 August, 2012, 11:20:45 am »

From Wikipedia
Derailleur gears are a variable-ratio transmission system commonly used on bicycles, consisting of a chain, multiple sprockets of different sizes, and a mechanism to move the chain from one sprocket to another

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #843 on: 30 August, 2012, 11:27:17 am »
That sounds ridiculous, Captain. ;D
Getting there...

PaulF

« Reply #844 on: 30 August, 2012, 11:35:54 am »

From Wikipedia
Derailleur gears are a variable-ratio transmission system commonly used on bicycles, consisting of a chain, multiple sprockets of different sizes, and a mechanism to move the chain from one sprocket to another

Sounds just like my system! To give a little more detail I have a range of sprockets in my spares box and a chain whip (the mechanism to which I believe the article referred) to assist in switching between one sprocket and another :D

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #845 on: 30 August, 2012, 12:43:10 pm »

From Wikipedia

Sounds just like my system! To give a little more detail I have a range of sprockets in my spares box and a chain whip (the mechanism to which I believe the article referred) to assist in switching between one sprocket and another :D

And you carry that with you on every ride  ???

Thought not  ;D
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #846 on: 30 August, 2012, 12:46:36 pm »
I carry two spare gears on every fixed ride.  But only one sprocket ;)
Getting there...

PaulF

« Reply #847 on: 30 August, 2012, 01:12:06 pm »

From Wikipedia

And you carry that with you on every ride  ???

Thought not  ;D

Fair point, although on one bike I have the potential (but haven't used yet) to change gear by swapping ont and rear wheels.

« Reply #848 on: 30 August, 2012, 04:52:51 pm »
I carry two spare gears on every fixed ride.  But only one sprocket ;)

I don't know how you live with yourself. CHEAT!!  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #849 on: 30 August, 2012, 07:41:23 pm »

Not mine a mates, sunglasses anyone?