Author Topic: Members Fixed Gear & SS  (Read 331689 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Re: Members Fixed Gear & SS
« Reply #975 on: 29 July, 2013, 09:35:29 am »
Finally managed to round up all the bits I needed to finish the High Latitude, so here it is in its 'regular' guise, albeit sans bags etc. at the moment:

Business at the front:

(Salsa Enabler fork, 16/18T sprockets on a Deore cassette hub)

Party at the back:

(Surly Ultra-New fixed hub, 17/19T Dingle)

Have only taken it round the village a few times to get the brakes bedded in, but riding it is probably about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on1. Once I get my replacement seatpack (in about 4 weeks) I'll be heading to the hills and seeing how it performs on 'real' trails.

Some people have an uber-bling baked-soot bike for 'fun' ... I have a fixed gear mountain bike ;D

1 - which means I either need to get out more, or I've been doing it wrong all this time.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #976 on: 29 July, 2013, 09:44:19 am »
Very nice!

Chris N

« Reply #977 on: 29 July, 2013, 10:13:09 am »
... fixed gear mountain bike

Very nice.  I keep meaning to build a fixed disc rear wheel for my Inbred.  Have got a Velosolo bolt on cog too but not used it yet.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #978 on: 29 July, 2013, 10:33:36 am »
... fixed gear mountain bike

Very nice.  I keep meaning to build a fixed disc rear wheel for my Inbred.  Have got a Velosolo bolt on cog too but not used it yet.
I can't recommend the Surly fixed hubs highly enough, and not just 'cos I'm a Surly fanboy ;)

They're not particularly light or cheap, but initial indications are that they're damn near bombproof. Fully serviceable too (not quite field-serviceable, unless you happen to carry cartridge bearings in your toolkit), which is nice, and also convertable to quick-release if that's what floats your boat.

Even better, at least from my point of view, is that Surly hub + Dingle cog gives you the same functionality as a double-fixed flip-flop hub but without having the faff of taking the wheel out of the frame. I'm currently toying with the idea of Dingle-fying my S3X.

« Reply #979 on: 02 August, 2013, 12:52:13 pm »
My Roberts fixed in LEL mode caught while resting at Market Rasen northbound (pic by LeeW). Loved the Yad Moss climb and descent both directions and Edinburgh to Traquair stage. 70" gear.
SH

LEE

« Reply #980 on: 02 August, 2013, 01:00:10 pm »
Bomber's Bumper's old Carradice Barley fitted.  As much as I've tried other options I always seem to come back to a Barley as the option that suits my riding the best.

Photo shows my rear light cluster.  The 2 lights, on flashing mode, are a fraction out of synch so they form a very eye-catching pattern, a few seconds they appear as a single long flashing light and then slowly they move into two, flashing out of time, top..botom..top..bottom. 

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #981 on: 02 August, 2013, 01:02:09 pm »
My brain is still mush, I was trying to work out what 229-52 tyres were :-[
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #982 on: 02 August, 2013, 01:03:34 pm »
Bomber's

Close :D

Looks good, saddle suits it nicely too ;)
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

LEE

« Reply #983 on: 02 August, 2013, 01:05:06 pm »
Bomber's

Looks good, saddle suits it nicely too ;)

(check out the MTB conversion thread)

That's not your old saddle

« Reply #984 on: 02 August, 2013, 01:05:50 pm »
Seen it ;)
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #985 on: 26 August, 2013, 02:05:58 pm »
I swapped my frame and fork, and finally gave my poor honey Brooks the chance to be on a bike again! (It's been lying on a shelf for ages, because it clashed with my other bikes.)

The bottom bracket on this frame's about 1.5cm higher than the old one (which was built for 27" wheels), so hopefully will give me more clearance going round corners.

I can't decide on mudguards, though - the ones from the old frame won't fit as they're too wide, so I need new ones. Silver or black, that is the question...? ???

EDIT: yes, I know the chain is very, very slack!

Ruth

« Reply #986 on: 26 August, 2013, 02:13:51 pm »
Black!  That's lovely that is.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #987 on: 27 August, 2013, 01:24:46 am »
That looks very nice. Either black or silver would look good on that :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #988 on: 06 October, 2013, 07:15:22 pm »
My Graham Weigh which I did my first ever audax on about 2.5 years ago. Now 'refreshed': new rear wheel bearings (the originals didn't last long at all), BB, cables, full mudguards (as opposed to the previous half-guards bodge), chainset etc etc. The 1980's colour-scheme has grown on me ... though it took a while.

Good chainline with shimano UN55, Stronglight track 2000, on-one flip-flop hub (spaced for 126mm).

Tight clearance - a gnat's crochet between the spider and the chain stay.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #989 on: 06 October, 2013, 09:12:03 pm »
Those Graham Weigh frames were very popular at the time - they copied the paintjob from Greg Lemond's tour winning TVTs. Most of them were made from Columbus SLX as I recall, as opposed to the more common (amongst British framebuilders) Reynolds tubing.

« Reply #990 on: 06 October, 2013, 10:00:30 pm »
Ouch! My poor eyes! 8)

« Reply #991 on: 07 October, 2013, 07:56:12 am »
... they copied the paintjob from Greg Lemond's tour winning TVTs. Most of them were made from Columbus SLX as I recall, as opposed to the more common (amongst British framebuilders) Reynolds tubing.

That's interesting re paint job. At least I now have a response/excuse when my friends criticise the colours!. As for the tubing, you're spot on - Columbus SLX. "TVTs" ?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #992 on: 07 October, 2013, 09:39:29 am »
Once I turned the colour down on my monitor, that's a really tidy machine - nice.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

got

« Reply #993 on: 08 October, 2013, 08:44:50 pm »

My new vig.

Still has to be ridden though!

Ruth

« Reply #994 on: 08 October, 2013, 08:46:10 pm »
Lovely colour!

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #995 on: 08 October, 2013, 09:21:02 pm »
... they copied the paintjob from Greg Lemond's tour winning TVTs. Most of them were made from Columbus SLX as I recall, as opposed to the more common (amongst British framebuilders) Reynolds tubing.

That's interesting re paint job. At least I now have a response/excuse when my friends criticise the colours!. As for the tubing, you're spot on - Columbus SLX. "TVTs" ?

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #996 on: 09 October, 2013, 12:08:52 am »
The 1980's colour-scheme has grown on me ... though it took a while.

I love this - though I am very, very colour-blind and I am the guy who bought the Gay Disco from new.

For my money, you need to go a bit bonkers at the bars and saddle end too, just to balance out the gorgeousness at the bottom of the bike. What colour is that: blue? purple? Whichever it is, I'd say echo it up top, or go for something else really bold like red (can't believe I'm talking about colours!).

I just bloody love this f+f.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #997 on: 09 October, 2013, 07:15:58 am »
After you mentioned it, Rhys W, I googled and found several Lemond ones in very similar colours, some with red on top instead of luminescent orange - I reckon they look good in either scheme. I've half a mind to have some mudguard eyes brazed on and the gear fittings removed, then get it sprayed up in exactly the same colours. 'Probably not worth it, and anyway, there's too little clearance at the fork and the rear brake bridge to make mudguards fit nicely (difficult to get the guards to conform exactly to the curve of the wheels - grates on me a little). SOmeone might be able to tell me if its possible to have a brake bridge raised a little and the front dropouts replaced with ones 5mm-longer? But better value to get an orange Tempo (<<-- this hankering is prompted by having seen MarcusJB's Fratello a few times). Dream on, Lardy...

The calibration you need, Paul, is that the chain stays are a deepish metallic blue - the others will now magically colour-shift to their correct values. Coloured saddle ? Too post-1980's for me!

« Reply #998 on: 13 October, 2013, 04:01:26 pm »

I appear to have spent the last few days building this. I'd bought it geared from my nephew for bits but thought I'd have some fettling fun...

Smooth blue Hammerite!
Handlebars, tape, pedals, carradice, & ti b17 from the bits box.
Mudguards from the caretaker at work - he saw them being chucked out & knew I'd use them

Rear wheel re-spaced and re-dished
New bits:

New rear axle, nuts & spacers
cheap rear cog
b/b lockring (for rear hub)
single chaining bolts
bottle cage and zefal mount
Awaiting p clips to replace the zip ties!

23c tyres 42 x 18

Took it for a trail run, apart from the unicycle, I've not ridden fixed for 25 years! And not ridden drops for about 8 years.
Really enjoyed it!
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Ruth

« Reply #999 on: 13 October, 2013, 10:22:11 pm »
I really like that.  I don't know why.  But I do.