Author Topic: Members Fixed Gear & SS  (Read 334628 times)

Re: Members Fixed Gear & SS
« Reply #125 on: 02 January, 2010, 03:03:51 pm »
I used to have one of those - metal was a bit soft, I seem to remember, but maybe that is a better one. I think mine was Imperial anyway.

I was hoping to be able to use this nice old one - a perfect fit despite it being, I assume, non-metric:

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=18491.msg508767#msg508767

This is sometimes caused by a new chain and sprocket combo bedding in a bit

Hope so. I've done the slacken chainring bolts thing as per the fixieFAQs to reduce the evident "high spot" to some degree.

« Reply #126 on: 02 January, 2010, 03:08:54 pm »
I used to have one of those - metal was a bit soft, I seem to remember, but maybe that is a better one. I think mine was Imperial anyway.

I was hoping to be able to use this nice old one - a perfect fit despite it being, I assume, non-metric:

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=18491.msg508767#msg508767

This is sometimes caused by a new chain and sprocket combo bedding in a bit

Hope so. I've done the slacken chainring bolts thing as per the fixieFAQs to reduce the evident "high spot" to some degree.
My spanner is a Cyclo one, Made in England. I have used softer ones in my time, but this one has been OK so far, as I say.

border-rider

« Reply #127 on: 02 January, 2010, 03:11:30 pm »
I use one of these
CYCLO Pro Series DUMBELL BONE SPANNER FOR SIZES 6-15 mm on eBay (end time  22-Jan-10 15:23:34 GMT) a Cyclo one Made in England. Been good enough so far and so retro.

I've used those too.  They have a slight propensity to snap though, which is a tad inconvenient on the road.

I've got a Jethro Tule now and that's served me well.

« Reply #128 on: 02 January, 2010, 03:13:43 pm »
I use one of these
CYCLO Pro Series DUMBELL BONE SPANNER FOR SIZES 6-15 mm on eBay (end time  22-Jan-10 15:23:34 GMT) a Cyclo one Made in England. Been good enough so far and so retro.

I've used those too.  They have a slight propensity to snap though, which is a tad inconvenient on the road.

I've got a Jethro Tule now and that's served me well.
I doubt I'm strong enough to do that, wait, with all this iron pumping I'm doing....

border-rider

« Reply #129 on: 02 January, 2010, 03:16:08 pm »
:)

Thing is, when they (and it's happened a few times over the years) snapped they went without that much force being applied.  I dunno if the chroming makes them brittle...

but I agree that they're a versatile tool, and I still like them.

« Reply #130 on: 02 January, 2010, 04:23:12 pm »
23"

Are you sure?  The seat tube appears to be about the same size as the wheel diameter, and that would be 24.5".

In fact that frame is clearly too big for you and I think you need to let me look after it!  ;)

fuzzy

« Reply #131 on: 02 January, 2010, 04:46:59 pm »
Stig.

« Reply #132 on: 02 January, 2010, 04:47:16 pm »
That's a very tidy looking steed there, Pluck. :thumbsup:
With some good looking decals  - just goes to show that they can be made to look good, and not warrant instant removal.  ::-)

Haven't been out on it much as yet....
So..... what are you waiting for?
Summer?
 ;)

« Reply #133 on: 02 January, 2010, 07:52:24 pm »
Are you sure?

Yes. Quite sure :) 23" from centre of BB to top of seat tube (and I'll be raising the saddle a bit when I get out for a spin.

In fact that frame is clearly too big for you and I think you need to let me look after it!  ;)

I think we could come to some arrangement whereby, in return, I take care of a thick wedge of your £20 notes.

« Reply #134 on: 02 January, 2010, 09:15:44 pm »
I think we could come to some arrangement whereby, in return, I take care of a thick wedge of your £20 notes.

It's an absolutely gorgeous frame and you shouldn't put thoughts like that into my head!   :)

« Reply #135 on: 02 January, 2010, 09:59:25 pm »
It is a long head tube in relation to the seat tube length but I think, as Giropaul mentioned, that this is due to the high bb.

It's an absolutely gorgeous frame and you shouldn't put thoughts like that into my head!   :)

It's a fairly low-key colour without lug lining etc so not very noticeable, but when you look at it closely it is quite nicely done in terms of tubing shapes, the way the seat stays meet the lug at the top... v pleased with it. Finish is good and defect-free, and seems pretty tough going by how the track ends are coping. 

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #136 on: 02 January, 2010, 10:26:52 pm »
Stig.

Some say that his lighting rig will melt small children and that his panniers are held on with the force of willpower alone.  All we know is...

(nice bike, Fuzzy  :))
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #137 on: 09 February, 2010, 06:39:25 pm »
A few quick shots of my recently acquired Bob Jackson:

Pretty happy about how it was put together, although I remain deeply uncertain about the San Marco Concor.

Still need to fettle the rear guard a little after adding SKS quick release doofers:

Very pleased with the Nitto noodle (although if I'd done the bars myself I'd have positioned the levers a little further round the bend:

The spacer from chainstay bridge to guard was too long to allow the wheel to come out without letting the tyre down - I've bodged something a little shorter.

Haven't been out on it much as yet, but it seems a really comfortable ride.

How are you finding it?  I'm not happy with my Ebay Pearson Touche - although it's a 60cm, the headtube is too short for my taste and it's effectively 58 size.

My finger is on the Bob Jackson trigger and getting twitchy..

« Reply #138 on: 09 February, 2010, 07:07:49 pm »
I'm really enjoying it  :) One reason is the return-to-fixed aspect, another reason is that I just like how it looks, but the main reason (and one that I wasn't really expecting) is that I find it a really comfortable ride. Rode it home from shop > raised saddle by 1/2" > have never touched any of it since  :) This compares with my other two bikes, including my Van Nicholas Yukon, which had a bike shop's worth of different (Ahead) stems, seat up / down / forward / back ad infinitum. It just fits me. I'll qualify that by noting that I am yet to do any long rides on it, but I've commuted regularly on it since the New Year and it feels right.

Having had it 6 weeks or so now, I can find no fault with the frame itself in terms of finish, braze ons, how it all works.

The bonus is that it is a pretty light bike even with guards as shown (lighter than the - geared - titanium / carbon fork Van Nicholas in Audax mode, by my estimation anyway).

I'm also happy with my choice of components (Open Pro / System EX / Miche + TA cranks / chainring / R600 brakes / Nitto stem, seatpost and Noodle bars).

Destined to become a favourite. I have not ridden the other two since getting it, apart from when I want to park somewhere that I'd rather not risk leaving the Bob Jackson.

« Reply #139 on: 10 February, 2010, 04:17:05 pm »
My finger is on the Bob Jackson trigger and getting twitchy..

Has it twitched any further downwards yet?

LEE

« Reply #140 on: 10 February, 2010, 05:59:11 pm »
I used a Nitto Stem and Noodle bars on my British Eagle.  When the frame broke I Ebay'd the stem for a good price and used the bars on the Ribble.  Since then I have replaced the bars on my Thorn and my Condor with Nittos "Noodles".

I think they are supremely comfortable (and my hands are very fussy).

Lovely, elegant bike SP.

« Reply #141 on: 10 February, 2010, 06:24:26 pm »
Thanks LEE. I'll take some better photos at some stage (I think it looks better now that the bars are rotated downwards and the rear mudguard has been fettled slightly) that will hopefully reveal that the lines of the fork blades, stays and so forth are rather tastysome. The Noodle is very good - initially I was thinking of the Randonneur (the tops angle upwards slightly, giving a bit of a lateral splay to the drops, whereas the Noodle has tops that flare back towards the saddle) but on thinking about my usual hand position chose the Noodle. They do have a fairly deep drop, not something I normally like, but since the frame fits properly they work well.

Tewdric, if it influences your choice in any way, I think in general off-the-shelf Bob Jacksons are said to be relatively long in the top tube.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #142 on: 10 February, 2010, 09:24:02 pm »
Thanks LEE. I'll take some better photos at some stage (I think it looks better now that the bars are rotated downwards and the rear mudguard has been fettled slightly) that will hopefully reveal that the lines of the fork blades, stays and so forth are rather tastysome.

Looks rather handsome to me already!! :)

« Reply #143 on: 11 February, 2010, 05:56:33 pm »
N+1, but not for long...

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #144 on: 12 February, 2010, 08:35:58 pm »
There was a San Marco Concor on my Moulton when I bought it.  It has to be the most uncomfortable saddle I have ever perched upon.  It seemed to be stuffed with bricks and had the odd effect of trying to separate one's pelvic bones.  I thought it might be accursed in some way.   I tended to ride with my behind levitating above the saddle until I replaced it with a Selle Italia Turbo, as soon as possible.

« Reply #145 on: 12 February, 2010, 08:46:58 pm »
San Marco Concor

I rather like it so far  :) It's completely different from the other non-Brooks saddles that I've tried (and mostly rejected). I'd always thought I preferred a "flat topped" type of saddle but now I am starting to wonder...

Anyhoo I bought it off the forum partly for old times sake as I have used one in the past, and so far it seems to be a fine commuting perch.

« Reply #146 on: 13 February, 2010, 06:12:41 pm »
A few quick shots of my recently acquired Bob Jackson:

Pretty happy about how it was put together, although I remain deeply uncertain about the San Marco Concor.

Did you buy it new from Bob Jackson? Would you mind letting me know, offline (by PM?) if you prefer, the full setup, costs and times between order and delivery. It looks like a nice winter clubman bike.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #147 on: 13 February, 2010, 06:16:39 pm »
Finished building up my Langster.

I've still got to get a seat post, so I've swapped the seat post from my geared bike over (same size post) which just happens to have my already broken in brooks on it. I've got a new one for this bike (honey, to matchish the frame) but I want to concentrate on learning to ride fixed, not breaking in a new saddle.

I'll take some better pictures when it's light.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #148 on: 13 February, 2010, 06:56:00 pm »
There's something about that chain...
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #149 on: 14 February, 2010, 05:58:18 pm »
Went for a short ride today and took a couple of pics with camphone, so not the best quality but good enough to get the general idea...

I'm really loving this bike - it's very light and super-responsive, despite its fairly relaxed and comfortable geometry. It makes you want to go fast. Lots and lots of fun.

I was slightly concerned about the adequacy of my chain tension until I saw hulver's bike.   ;D

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."