Author Topic: Members Fixed Gear & SS  (Read 334543 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Members Fixed Gear & SS
« Reply #200 on: 06 March, 2010, 04:20:58 pm »
That's "interesting" as in "fugly", then?  :)

I don't actually like the colour much ("Sterling (sic) Moss Green"), but it's what On-One had in stock at the time.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #201 on: 06 March, 2010, 04:22:24 pm »
Nah.  I think it's ingenious.
Getting there...

« Reply #202 on: 06 March, 2010, 04:28:38 pm »
Very inventive  :) The only bit I don't understand:

As there's no chainstay bridge (track ends - don't need one)

rogerzilla

« Reply #203 on: 06 March, 2010, 04:44:14 pm »
Chainstay bridges are for two unrelated reasons:

1) To stop the rear tyre getting jammed when you take the wheel out - important in a race when bikes all had forward facing horizontal dropouts;

2) To give you somewhere to clip on a mudguard.

As the Inbred has track ends and no mudguard provision (although it can take a 4-point rack!) it doesn't have the bridge.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #204 on: 06 March, 2010, 06:09:10 pm »
Nice bike, Rogerzilla. Is it a single speed or fixed?  Let us know how the "anti rust" chain gets on. I've not heard of one of those before now. That would make a change for the chain to outlast the frame !!
I actually like that colour. Makes it stand out. Not many green bikes about and when you think about it green should be the new black.

rogerzilla

« Reply #205 on: 06 March, 2010, 06:14:40 pm »
It's fixed - Goldtec track hub and EAI sprocket, 38 x 14.  I've used these chains before and they can rust a little around the pins, but generally they hold up well.  They're very strong and also don't start to wear for a long time, but once they develop any measurable stretch, they're finished within weeks.  One might do 1000 miles' commuting compared to 500 miles for the KMC Z510 I've just taken off.  Very crude in appearance.

« Reply #206 on: 07 March, 2010, 09:24:41 pm »
Brooks bar tape is OK to apply but you do need to get some stretch into it to make it neat.  It has double sided sticky tape on it that can pull the surface off the leather if you have two or three goes at sticking.  I used the lines of dots as a guide to gettig a  consistent overlap - in that respect it's easier than normal bar tape!  For wide (47cm) bars I used three dots as a guide on the drops and two dots on the tops to give a thicker overlap whe I use it most.  When you start fitting it you'll see what I mean!

It was my first time with he new type SKS mudguard fittings too - the stay end caps with the bit that wraps round the retaining bolt.  They give a nice finish but what a faff!

Thanks for the info on the Brooks tape, I'll refer to that when the time comes - did you find that it came in a generous enough length? I like to put Spesh or similar padding underneath which adds a bit to the length required.

Those SKS fittings: yes, the first time was a faff but it gets easier once you know the order things need to go on. They do look neater once done.

« Reply #207 on: 08 March, 2010, 09:36:06 am »
Thanks for the info on the Brooks tape, I'll refer to that when the time comes - did you find that it came in a generous enough length? I like to put Spesh or similar padding underneath which adds a bit to the length required.

It should be long enough yes, I had plently of overlap to play with on very wide bars.

« Reply #208 on: 08 March, 2010, 12:16:52 pm »
I see you've gone for the secu-clips at the back too - works well

« Reply #209 on: 08 March, 2010, 01:52:32 pm »

I'm sick to death of the secu-clips solution to trackends on my Cotic. How I long for the forward facing dropouts on my old Raleigh! My rear 'guard stays are bent all shapes from dragging them in & out of the clips (mostly in the garage too, not many 'in anger' rear wheel punctures).

rogerzilla

« Reply #210 on: 09 March, 2010, 07:28:10 pm »
The Inbred doesn't have secu-clips; there's just enough room to ease the wheel out.  I deliberately left a bit more clearance this time, because when you fit the guards really close they tend to chatter on the tyre when you hit a bump - and you can't use spiked tyres.

« Reply #211 on: 09 March, 2010, 07:35:34 pm »
Always seemed to me to be a lot easier just to leave an inch of stay spare.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #212 on: 10 March, 2010, 07:55:29 am »
Beau-ti-ful Tewdric, absolutely gorgeous, though I have to question the saddle!!  :P
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #213 on: 10 March, 2010, 04:24:31 pm »

Yeah - I needed them on the front for safety as the mudguard eyes are close to the dropouts, so I thought I'd go for some at the rear too - it's too tight to get the wheel out with the 25c Paselas.  It's a bit kludgey but I gained some neatness points by direct-fitting the rear guard at the brake and chainstay bridges to balance it out!

« Reply #214 on: 21 March, 2010, 05:11:05 pm »
Bob Jackson, current configuration:

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #215 on: 21 March, 2010, 05:16:57 pm »
Very nice - you say current configuration. Are you thinking of changing it somehow?

« Reply #216 on: 21 March, 2010, 05:26:29 pm »
It's had a few bits and bobs added since my last photos so I thought I'd record them for posterity. I'm very happy with it all now except I might get the rear rim laced onto another hub at some point.

« Reply #217 on: 21 March, 2010, 07:05:11 pm »

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #218 on: 21 March, 2010, 08:01:40 pm »
Sergeant Pluck, that's lovely.  The Saddle bag looks just right and that handlebar wossname is fabulous.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #219 on: 21 March, 2010, 09:13:10 pm »
'sall right, I suppose... ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #220 on: 22 March, 2010, 04:32:49 pm »

In the beginning was a world
Man said: Let there be more light
Electric scenes a maze of beams
Neon brights to light our boring nights   :thumbsup:
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #221 on: 22 March, 2010, 04:39:07 pm »
Neon brights to light our boring nights   :thumbsup:

Indeed! Lovely bike SP - but I baggsy not be the one who follows your wheel on a night ride  8)

Edit: Of course - that could be the point. Wheelsucker counter measures. Neat  :thumbsup:.

« Reply #222 on: 22 March, 2010, 04:40:26 pm »

Indeed! Lovely bike SP - but I baggsy not be the one who follows your wheel on a night ride  8)

Welders goggles are your friends.     ;D  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #223 on: 22 March, 2010, 09:15:15 pm »
The RSP on the Bagman is angled down a good bit as it is brutal; the Smart on the stay is angled down very slightly and is the one I'd use on a group ride, in non-flashing mode.

Those reflective stripes on the bag are very effective indeed and are likely, given the forward-directed megawattage produced by the average yACFer, to be more noticeable from behind in a group than the Smart...

Neon brights to light our boring nights   :thumbsup:

:)

« Reply #224 on: 27 March, 2010, 02:13:33 pm »
First pics of my single speed. I converted my Peugeot a few weeks ago using my seven speed wheel and a sprocket from an old six speed cassetted. A homemade tensioner from a v brake donated by longers. Used the spacers from the six speed cassette and some other sprockets each side of the one in use to give some support to it. The freehub is a UG/HG one so I screwed an end sprocket on instead of a lockring thus eliminating the need for more spacers.

The tensioner is held on with part of an old axle and nuts from it ! At the other end of the tensioner is an old jockey wheel and a bolt and some nuts and spacers.

It's very much a prototype to see if I get on with single speed, if I do I'll get some proper kit to tidy it all up. Only one photo so far as my cameras batteries went flat