Author Topic: Members Fixed Gear & SS  (Read 335010 times)

Chris N

Re: Members Fixed Gear & SS
« Reply #275 on: 18 April, 2010, 02:23:56 pm »
My new mountain bike - a single speed, rigid forked, drop-barred On One Inbred 29er - on it's maiden voyage.

8)

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #276 on: 18 April, 2010, 03:22:33 pm »
Hey that's lovely Chris, me likey lots. Did you build it yourself or did it come like that?

Chris N

« Reply #277 on: 18 April, 2010, 05:01:18 pm »
All my own work. :thumbsup:

Bought the frame and forks from On-One a couple of months ago (I think they ballsed up the pricing on their frames and I got it for £110).  Been slowly getting the bits sorted and finally finished building the wheels and got it all together last week.  Most of the parts are new, but the bars, stem, levers, seatpost, cranks, BB and pedals were in the shed.

It's really good fun to ride.

Zoidburg

« Reply #278 on: 18 April, 2010, 05:05:19 pm »
Is that a track end with a hanger beneath it?

I haven't seen that on another bike apart from my fixed.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #279 on: 18 April, 2010, 05:16:10 pm »
Ahem.  The 26" version has it too.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Zoidburg

« Reply #280 on: 18 April, 2010, 05:24:16 pm »
If Charley wasn't in his 80s and retired I would advise him to sue their ass.

Chris N

« Reply #281 on: 18 April, 2010, 05:41:22 pm »
It's standard on On-One's slot dropout frames (Inbred and Scandal, 26 and 29er).  I think they've been selling them for a few years like that.

Zoidburg

« Reply #282 on: 18 April, 2010, 05:47:06 pm »
IIRC they started off with eccentric BBs once upon a time with the Gimp then they went to sliding drop out frames until the last year or so when they have gone to simple cheap plate track end with the deraileur hanger beneath it.

My frame is from the early 80s and a hand build so On-One have probably picked up the idea from some classic builder or other.

« Reply #283 on: 18 April, 2010, 09:11:47 pm »
single speed, rigid forked, drop-barred On One Inbred 29er

Interesting bike! What gear is that you have on it? And are those brake force modulators in the cables?

I couldn't see me ever getting on with those midge bars - although I s'pose they look as if they'd be comfortable on the hoods.  

Chris N

« Reply #284 on: 18 April, 2010, 09:35:57 pm »
32T front, 18T rear - about 52".  A lot lower than I'm used to on road, but ok off road.

They're in-line adjusters in the cables (designed for gear cables, but work just fine for brakes) - no barrel adjuster on the brakes or levers, y'see.

The primary riding position of the midge bars is on the drops - to me, it's a very natural, comfortable angle for my hands.  Easy to get a single finger onto the brakes too.  The hoods are a bit far away, but are ok for out of the saddle climbing or stretching out and it's nice to get onto the tops of the bars for another change of position.

Interesting article on Midge bar setup (for off road use) here: 63xc.com--Reviews | Midge Bar

« Reply #285 on: 18 April, 2010, 10:58:57 pm »
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #286 on: 19 April, 2010, 03:17:49 pm »
no barrel adjuster on the brakes or levers

Ah, I see. Interesting article that - it has encouraged me to open my mind to trying a pair out at some point.

« Reply #287 on: 19 April, 2010, 05:26:57 pm »
The TT bike. I think ill put a picture up of it now.

I love this bike, id have it hanging on my wall if i could. I just need to get a quill stem for it, i think that would really suit it.
My plan this year is to keep my normal bike heavy-ish and use this bike for a good thrash on doing the TTs. Have to see how that goes though, might take most things off my normal bike again.
Ill put some pictures up of that when i get chance to take some, its changed alot.

(pictures with that back ground as an experiment for a photography project. It sort of worked but not how i planned)

Don't question. It makes people angry.

« Reply #288 on: 19 April, 2010, 06:33:46 pm »
Nice TT bike!!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #289 on: 20 April, 2010, 12:36:05 am »
1gear, that is beautiful!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #290 on: 20 April, 2010, 06:03:15 pm »
Heres my all round bike. I train on it, commute on it and use it for going to the shop. Gets loaded up when i go to work then straight over to my girlfriends and its great. Thinking about leaving the mudguards on all year around this year, but not sure, might take them off.

This is how it used to look not long after it was first built i think:

Then with its brooks saddle.

Also being lent a track bike on long time loan:

border-rider

« Reply #291 on: 20 April, 2010, 06:28:12 pm »
Heres my all round bike.

Nice bike.  Another Pearson Touche/Dolan clone frame, and none the worse for that :)

Zoidburg

« Reply #292 on: 20 April, 2010, 07:04:49 pm »
I think 1gear works at Mountain & Moor in Nottingham.

Or the camping shop across the road next to weatherspoons.

« Reply #293 on: 20 April, 2010, 07:44:59 pm »
I think 1gear works at Mountain & Moor in Nottingham.

Or the camping shop across the road next to weatherspoons.

Wrong. I was out today taking pictures for my photography exam tomorrow. Its on bike racks would you believe.

Heres my all round bike.

Nice bike.  Another Pearson Touche/Dolan clone frame, and none the worse for that :)
It is. Its a nice frame, as you can see the paint has taken knocks in a few places, theres chips in a few places and a bit bit of paint came off the drop out. They are nice frames though and not too heavy, well it didnt used to be anyway.

« Reply #294 on: 20 April, 2010, 07:46:39 pm »
The TT bike. I think ill put a picture up of it now.

I love this bike, id have it hanging on my wall if i could. I just need to get a quill stem for it, i think that would really suit it.
My plan this year is to keep my normal bike heavy-ish and use this bike for a good thrash on doing the TTs. Have to see how that goes though, might take most things off my normal bike again.
Ill put some pictures up of that when i get chance to take some, its changed alot.

(pictures with that back ground as an experiment for a photography project. It sort of worked but not how i planned)

You just need the kit now...

All class machines there, lovely.

« Reply #295 on: 20 April, 2010, 08:10:19 pm »
The bike was planned on one of Chris Boardmans. The person i got it off gave me all the stuff for it, which included the plans for it. Measurements were taken from a picture of a bike Chris Boardman was riding, with all the angles for everything put on aswell. Quite interesting.
Ive got a White and blue skin suit(it was free, would of liked a black and white one but never mind), white and black over shoes and a blacky grey aero type helmet.
It drew alot of attention when i took it to the first club TT and when i take it to TTs some people also go to look at it, looks jolly nice in the flesh.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #296 on: 04 May, 2010, 09:11:44 am »
Phil's Atom:

Julian's Pompino:

After removal of rear brake, SON and rack, my Winter Weapon in summer fettle:

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #297 on: 04 May, 2010, 09:15:35 am »
Makes you wanna get out & ride!
Getting there...

border-rider

« Reply #298 on: 04 May, 2010, 09:16:10 am »
Heh

I'm pleased to see that Atom frame being used.  It sat in my garage for years- I think I only rode it twice.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #299 on: 04 May, 2010, 10:42:37 am »
Heh

I'm pleased to see that Atom frame being used.  It sat in my garage for years- I think I only rode it twice.

Here it is again, on the yACF FYBO camping trip in January:-

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike