Author Topic: Members Fixed Gear & SS  (Read 335073 times)

PH

Re: Members Fixed Gear & SS
« Reply #600 on: 29 March, 2011, 11:22:59 pm »
Thanks, the search goes on.  There might be something in the pipeline, Rigida are starting to do some road rims in CSS, so hopefully someone else is going to do the blocks for them.

« Reply #601 on: 29 March, 2011, 11:26:47 pm »
Thanks, the search goes on.  There might be something in the pipeline, Rigida are starting to do some road rims in CSS, so hopefully someone else is going to do the blocks for them.

In case anyone is confused, these are the rims that are fitted.
Iawn, cont? It's a 67.4" by the way.

« Reply #602 on: 30 March, 2011, 12:25:17 am »
That's a very good looking new bike you have there  :thumbsup:

LEE

« Reply #603 on: 30 March, 2011, 12:47:03 pm »
Squeezy marmite: this has been making breakfast deeply distressing over the last few months.  I am so glad to be back with a proper glass jar.

Anyway, here's my beloved Kona, rarely maintained or cleaned.  It has been loyally getting me to work every day for four years and has done a few FNRttCs as well.

It must be lovely to sit out in your garden of an evening with a glass of white wine, just soaking up the ambience and the results of your landscaping.

« Reply #604 on: 30 March, 2011, 04:57:26 pm »
Squeezy marmite: this has been making breakfast deeply distressing over the last few months.  I am so glad to be back with a proper glass jar.

Anyway, here's my beloved Kona, rarely maintained or cleaned.  It has been loyally getting me to work every day for four years and has done a few FNRttCs as well.

It must be lovely to sit out in your garden of an evening with a glass of white wine, just soaking up the ambience and the results of your landscaping.

Thanks LEE - it took some time, I'll have you know.  The backdrop is the fence that our neighbour put up before we bought our house, and which has been gradually collapsing ever since, combined with some of his expert bricklaying skillz.  Then the foundation on which all this rests: well, I suspect much of it dates back to just after the war, during which our roof had been blown off by a V1 landing on the opposite side of the street, and a good deal of general rubble and debris was buried at the top end of the garden and flooded with concrete.  Somethere under there I suspect there may be some sort of cavity, as my attempts at archaeology revealed a steep ramp that disappeared down into the bowels of the earth (nay verily almost to Catford).

Then immediately behind the bike is a double-barreled compost heap, topped with rubber mats from an old car.  On the right is something that looks like a water butt but is in fact full of clay that I dug out of what is now the veg patch.  You'd have to ask Mrs R what all the messy stuff is though.

« Reply #605 on: 24 April, 2011, 09:49:36 pm »
Mine - not as nice as yours, but I like it

Good bike to ride to work on.
Top tip earlier re White Industries freewheels, I may have to shop for at least one of them........
40x16 right now which is fine. Commute from Reading west to Compton means at current fitness 42 is as big as I can go.
Can always experiment with different cogs mind........
Steve
The dog did nothing in the night-time - that was the curious incident..........

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #606 on: 25 April, 2011, 05:27:42 pm »

black...BlAcK...B-L-A-C-K...with a dash of silver

Hello Wang Wang  ;)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #607 on: 25 April, 2011, 08:38:31 pm »
Found one.

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #608 on: 01 May, 2011, 05:28:06 pm »

Well it's been a while, I was trying to find period parts but got fed up waiting and just built it anyway or it would have just sat there pining for the road.

Spec:
Claud Butler 531 lugless steel frame [mid fifties]
Miche cranks,
Normandy Hubs on Mavic Record du Monde de l'Heure sprint rims with tubs,
Brooks Swift saddle,
Nitto B123 steel bars and Nitto Pearl stem,
Campagnolo brake levers,
and a Hi-Gear brake because it was the only one in the shed with enough drop :)

Just had it's first ride this morning a swift 45 miles and already had to use the spare tub so I'll have to get some tougher ones for the road and save these for track use.

"Don't stop pedalling"

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #609 on: 03 May, 2011, 12:48:10 pm »
Delightful.

Has it had a respray at some point? If so, was it during your ownership, and where did you have it done? My own CB (a much later model) is due a respray, and I really like what you've got there.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #610 on: 03 May, 2011, 08:14:03 pm »
No not by me, it looks hand painted up close, it was one of a pair both the same colour but my friends is smaller, he bought them together and they were done before that.
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #611 on: 03 May, 2011, 10:46:53 pm »
I should see if I can retrieve my Dads similar era Claude Butler from my oldest brother, whose had it for the last 20+ years, but probably hasn't cycled on it for at least the last 20 of those. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #612 on: 09 May, 2011, 07:22:17 pm »
Commuter (and Audax bike) now with added training weight attached:-

"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Chris S

« Reply #613 on: 09 May, 2011, 07:40:41 pm »
Goodness me. She grew!

Last time I rode with you on an Audax, she was still a "bump". Time flies...

« Reply #614 on: 09 May, 2011, 09:44:49 pm »
Commuter (and Audax bike) now with added training weight attached:-

Teh cuteness!

ed_o_brain

« Reply #615 on: 09 May, 2011, 10:34:56 pm »
Is that a map-holder integrated into her seat?
Tres useful! ;)

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #616 on: 09 May, 2011, 10:53:16 pm »
@ Greenbank. Love it ! :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #617 on: 10 May, 2011, 08:28:13 am »
Cool. 
Getting there...

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #618 on: 10 May, 2011, 08:52:58 am »
It am okay, but… are one's knees not pointing at 45 degrees when cycling with the young cub on board?
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #619 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:01:58 am »
How do you keep her entertained on long audaxes?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #620 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:05:06 am »
she reads the route sheet or the sat.nav.. ;D

« Reply #621 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:20:12 am »
It am okay, but… are one's knees not pointing at 45 degrees when cycling with the young cub on board?

Nope, it's far enough forward not to really bother my knees, I hardly have to move my knees out at all; maybe an inch at the most, that's fine for local jaunts. I might be tempted with a 50km Audax one day, the padded bit infront of her means she can have a sleep whenever she wants.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #622 on: 10 May, 2011, 12:28:14 pm »
Plus you have something to throw overboard in case of shark attack.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #623 on: 10 May, 2011, 01:11:57 pm »
I really want one of those for my youngest, but with a rear seat for my lad already fitted, how would I get on and off the bike?....without risking an overstretch injury  :o

Btw, buy her a girly helmet in pink  ;)

« Reply #624 on: 19 May, 2011, 03:39:22 pm »
In memory.

I got this Dawes Kickback 22 years ago for my birthday. It was one of the early mountain bikes which rode quite well but was heavy, the paint was poor and started to flake off almost straight away. Rode it for a few years mostly down to the 'quarry' messing around. Neglected while I was at University then mudguards and rack were added to commute when I started working.

Once the original rear wheel wore our I converted it to fixed by cutting the axle short filing the dropouts slightly and using the quick release skewer to hold the wheel in place.

When that wheel wore out I had enjoyed riding fixed so much that I un-brazed the vertical dropouts  and put in some horizontal ones, removed the cantilever mounts,  moved the brake bridge a bit and made a new fork at the same time so that I could use 700c wheels. This all worked really well and carried me through a lot of audaxes until the frame started to crack through both seat stays at the seat cluster. I did weld it up to keep going for a while but finally the time has come for retirement. All the parts have now been swapped over to a replacement.

In some ways the most precious thing I own but at the same time a bike I never minded leaving locked anywhere. If I lived on my own I would hang the frame on a wall.