Author Topic: Fully Loaded - Touring Bikes  (Read 232303 times)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Re: Fully Loaded - Touring Bikes
« Reply #475 on: 28 October, 2015, 09:31:59 pm »
Can you see the wind in this one?

Northwest Highlands 2015 012 by Ruth Irving, on Flickr
Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #476 on: 28 October, 2015, 09:39:13 pm »
;D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #477 on: 13 November, 2015, 11:02:09 pm »
Here we are... Now, wth is the Pub?

In the Upper Peninsula (aka "UP", Michigan), October 2015.
surly LHT with 'mostly good parts', but the frame etc. being replaced next tour with Woodrup on order!
More about ye bikke: http://rjl.us/velo/2005LHT.htm
Where?: http://upbt.org/whyup.htm
/robert

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #478 on: 27 November, 2015, 06:32:12 pm »
Milk please, no sugar.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

vantage

• As quick as a slug on crutches towing a snail whilst wading through a salt mine!
« Reply #480 on: 10 January, 2016, 10:21:26 am »
2nd failed attempt at touring last year. Got 20 ish miles from home before the gps got me lost (clearly technology was to blame), chickened out and returned home  :facepalm:

Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #481 on: 10 January, 2016, 10:26:03 am »
I did that once, too.  I was using the same panniers as you!
Milk please, no sugar.

vantage

• As quick as a slug on crutches towing a snail whilst wading through a salt mine!
« Reply #482 on: 10 January, 2016, 12:12:19 pm »
That's an Avior X2 on the back too which I believe was what you used touring with mcshroom :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #483 on: 10 January, 2016, 01:34:23 pm »
... before the gps got me lost ...
Clearly not lost enough since you found your way home :)

Nice looking bike and set up :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #484 on: 10 January, 2016, 01:44:44 pm »
It was a good shakedown to see how your kit was on the bike  ;D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #485 on: 10 January, 2016, 01:52:21 pm »
... before the gps got me lost ...
Clearly not lost enough since you found your way home :)

It's not a bug, it's a feature.  GPSes are second only to NCN signage for taking you to places you'd never normally explore.   ;D

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #486 on: 10 January, 2016, 08:39:50 pm »
2nd failed attempt at touring last year. Got 20 ish miles from home before the gps got me lost (clearly technology was to blame), chickened out and returned home  :facepalm:

But...getting lost is how you happen on the unexpected and interesting, and sometimes bad - yes, I know. In life as in cycle-touring...

« Reply #487 on: 10 January, 2016, 09:25:21 pm »
That looks a decent (if heavy) setup, vantage.

I've done the same thing a few times - I've got the bike ready and taken ages packing everything, then gone "sod it" and went home. The most was Kirkby Stephen, which made for a near-100 mile day ride with a camping load :facepalm: - the least was about three quarters of a mile into a headwind. If you're not in the mood, you're not in the mood.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #488 on: 10 January, 2016, 10:04:11 pm »
That's an Avior X2 on the back too which I believe was what you used touring with mcshroom :)

That was such a good tent.  Great minds think alike and get lost twenty miles from home-alike eh?

Milk please, no sugar.

vantage

« Reply #489 on: 11 January, 2016, 03:33:43 pm »
If the bathroom scales are accurate Deano,  she was nearly 98lbs fully laden. I swear I caught her sinking into the tarmac at one point ;D
Some lighter kit has since been bought...specifically that big stupid hulking mat.

Absolutely love that bike to bits though :)
Bill

vantage

« Reply #490 on: 11 January, 2016, 03:35:14 pm »

That was such a good tent.  Great minds think alike and get lost twenty miles from home-alike eh?

;D
Bill

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #491 on: 11 January, 2016, 04:52:06 pm »
I did that once, too.  I was using the same panniers as you!
The bags of misadventure!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #492 on: 18 February, 2016, 09:40:31 am »
I don't like winter! Now it's staying lighter a little bit longer each night, I am convincing myself that spring is on the way. So with these thoughts in mind I have started looking a another tour for this year. But before I do I thought I should post a picture of my bike. Why? Because I want to.

Last year I rode from Redditch to Mid-Wales via this bridge in Ludlow, and had some lovely weather.

Now I have got my mind accepting that summer will happen again this year I can start to plan my route. I have seven days to play with so the tour will be a good bit longer.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #493 on: 18 February, 2016, 10:39:24 am »
But before I do I thought I should post a picture of my bike. Why? Because I want to.
The best reason! Equal first with 'Because we want to see it'.  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #494 on: 02 March, 2016, 07:37:51 pm »
Not mine. Spotted this in S. of France last week. Never saw the owner, but he or she sure is thirsty. 5.5l of bottles on board and another cage on the back of the stem. A neat idea I've not come across before.  I wonder what happened to the low-rider front panniers: rack mountings present, load missing.

They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

« Reply #495 on: 02 March, 2016, 07:39:07 pm »
Edit: Make that 6 litres. Just spotted another 0.5l bottle under the saddle.
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #496 on: 03 March, 2016, 09:40:55 am »
Not mine. Spotted this in S. of France last week. Never saw the owner, but he or she sure is thirsty. 5.5l of bottles on board and another cage on the back of the stem. A neat idea I've not come across before.  I wonder what happened to the low-rider front panniers: rack mountings present, load missing.

There's so much good sense in using bottle cages/holders that accept 1.5-2.0 litre bottles in hot countries that I may see what the capacity of my cages is.

It sure beats the decanting routine outside supermarkets.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #497 on: 03 March, 2016, 11:54:45 am »

That looks like the bike of someone who's had their panniers nicked.

Samuel D

« Reply #498 on: 03 March, 2016, 02:14:13 pm »
Or the owner, wherever they are, has the panniers with them. Probably at the supermarket picking up a few bottles of water.

« Reply #499 on: 03 March, 2016, 02:54:03 pm »
Or the owner, wherever they are, has the panniers with them. Probably at the supermarket picking up a few bottles of water.

Clearly 6 litres of water is nowhere near enough and more bottles are required. Shame there were no shops in the vicinity. The bungee from the stuffsack and the lock bodged on to the rack makes me suspect that if the panniers have gone walkabout, they're not accompanying their owner.