Author Topic: Kids Cycling Holiday  (Read 2022 times)

graudigraudi

Kids Cycling Holiday
« on: 24 February, 2010, 02:52:30 pm »
Not really sure where to post this and am new as a poster here so please bear with me!!
I posted this on another cycling forum a couple of days ago but got little response so perhaps you yacf people may have more ideas ...
===
Anybody been on a cycling holiday to Holland? Am thinking of trying a biking holiday and Holland has been suggested, probably because it's flat!

I have kids aged 8 and 6 who are used to cycling but probably 20 miles / days is the limit!!

Anyone tried to do this with kids this age?

Thanks .....

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Kids Cycling Holiday
« Reply #1 on: 24 February, 2010, 07:03:05 pm »
My parents did this with grandchildren of around 13.
I think they hired biikes from the hotel/resort.
I know all had a good time but would have to ask them for details.

« Reply #2 on: 24 February, 2010, 10:32:22 pm »
I started touring as a 7 year old, my sister was 6 when she started.

We toured by youth hostels though only in the UK, with the early trips being of up to 7 days with a daily mileage of up to 30 miles. Our daily pattern included chocolate after 5 miles, lunch at a pub that would last for an hour and ice cream in the afternoon. On our 7 day and longer trips we would have a 'rest day' which would be planned for a location with suitable attractions. Recreation grounds found on route (or planned in I don't know) were good reasons to pause for fun.

We learnt to pack light, sister and I each had a saddlebag and Dad had four panniers.

With planning it is good fun but I suspect my father may have worked hard for this end.

as 9 and 10 year olds we did Ascot to Manchester in 9 days riding and 1 rest day with up to 45 miles in a single day.

Matthew

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3 on: 24 February, 2010, 10:50:01 pm »
Me and the eldest CrinklyCub (who is 8 ) are planning our grand expotition for the summer - cross country to granny's house, which will be the biggest trip either of have done, staying in B&Bs along the way.  We're planning to take 4 days, and I'm expecting a couple of train legs to get the mileage down to under 30 miles a day average.  I don't know that I'd want to attempt foreign parts tho - just because it adds a layer of complexity.  I'm not sure that I could cope with the 'wrong side of the road' and am certain that my boy couldn't.  With a bit more practice, maybe :)

Are you planning to do it yourself, or looking to join in an organised tour type thing?

(edited to turn 8) into 8 ) as that makes a bit more sense!)

graudigraudi

« Reply #4 on: 25 February, 2010, 12:00:36 am »
The plan !! as it stands is to try and find a base we can go out from each day, so not a tour strictly speaking. I'd be hoping to find a B&B or similar in an area with 5 or so decent 20 mile rides to do in a week. I know the kids could do that but pushing them much further runs the risk of it not being fun and (as anyone with kids will know) it could well turn them off cycling forever and turn into a week of grief.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #5 on: 11 March, 2010, 11:27:04 am »
I steered clear when they were that age.
We did tours with one on the tandem and one mainly sleeping age nearly 2/nearly 3 in the kiddy seat.

Then I went with a nearly 9 and nearly 12yo a couple of years ago, to Holland (yes I do mean Holland), probably about 30 miles/day with a rest every 2-3 days to be tourists.
It was fine.

The main thing is to break it up so they don't notice - ice creams, parks, meals, beach and back ...
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #6 on: 12 March, 2010, 08:44:42 pm »
The Netherlands are simply amazing for kids on bikes. Not just the flatness (although along the coats the dunes are a bit ... bumpy), but the amount of really good cycling paths and friendly  :o drivers.