Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 339197 times)

Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #1725 on: 18 July, 2023, 07:45:42 am »
That's a thought but unless you are a member knowing when and where the meets are is  a little difficult  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1726 on: 18 July, 2023, 09:15:47 am »
(Of course there's no reason you couldn't independently book a pitch at a site where the ALC happened to be having a meet...)
But might be a problem if the meet is on a members-only site.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1727 on: 18 July, 2023, 12:05:48 pm »
That's a thought but unless you are a member knowing when and where the meets are is  a little difficult  :)

Not really, they're on a public website, to say nothing of the YACF calendar.

https://lightweightcampers.org.uk/upcoming-meets-2/

« Reply #1728 on: 18 July, 2023, 12:27:37 pm »
Oh, er...

I seem to have bought an Anker powerbank thingy with 13 amp sockets and a light and lots of usb ports ...

Not quite sure how that happened.  ???   ;D

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #1729 on: 18 July, 2023, 12:45:36 pm »
Bought a Northern Lite 2 with the overtime I got for being on call at the start of bathing season.

Now I just need a decent modern sleeping bag to replace my 20yo synthetic Ajungilak.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1730 on: 18 July, 2023, 08:36:51 pm »
We had a trip to Alpkit at Inverness the other day.  I ended up with socks, a new water bottle and a Brukit.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1731 on: 18 July, 2023, 10:04:48 pm »
Similarly we had a trip to Alpkit at Betws-y-Coed on Friday, and I bought some lightweight trousers that actually fit properly.  I suppose this means I'm overdue for a ride to York or something.

« Reply #1732 on: 19 July, 2023, 08:39:08 am »
Oh, er...

I seem to have bought an Anker powerbank thingy with 13 amp sockets and a light and lots of usb ports ...

Inexplicably I have bought a solar panel now too ...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1733 on: 19 July, 2023, 11:00:32 am »
Oh, er...

Inexplicably I have bought a solar panel now too ...
Useful combo. You can power the solar panel from the powerbank and produce sunshine!  8)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1734 on: 19 July, 2023, 08:26:28 pm »
Hmmm ... 🤔

« Reply #1735 on: 09 August, 2023, 07:15:02 pm »
A Hi Gear (and lots of other brands) camp bed for £19 from Go Outdoors. Seems very robust for now and also appears to be quite comfy. We will see. Can be sat upon without falling over. Great VFM at this price. Will use with sundry mats and a real pillow thinks. Next on the bucket list, an electric hook up and fan heater. Possibly a Kampa Diddy which are OOS atm.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #1736 on: 17 August, 2023, 08:45:44 am »
Bought two of these sleeping bags for this summer to use in place of our proper 3 season down bags. Much lighter and perfectly warm enough of summer camping at home and abroad. Comes with its compression sack. Really pleased with them. And 20% off at the moment.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JQ13FYG?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

« Reply #1737 on: 17 August, 2023, 05:42:42 pm »
Two replacement pole sections because my tent came back from the two-week Scout District expedition with one split. Last of the big spenders, eh? ;D

Just casting around for a bit of old gear cable to make a pole threader.

« Reply #1738 on: 17 August, 2023, 06:23:13 pm »
We had a trip to Alpkit at Inverness the other day.  I ended up with socks, a new water bottle and a Brukit.

Bloody hell! Only just seen this - we were shopping in Inverness on 17th July too!
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #1739 on: 19 August, 2023, 06:06:27 am »
Bought two of these sleeping bags for this summer to use in place of our proper 3 season down bags.

Eeek! Look at the fifth picture down - happy smiling couple, sleeping on separate air matresses on the edge of a huge drop into the sea. All it would take is a restless night or the iar mattress being a bit slippy...

(Yeah I know that is a staged phot shoot)

« Reply #1740 on: 15 September, 2023, 11:01:25 am »
Not sure if this counts but it's a gateway to a camping adventure.  I've just bought an Ultimate Direction Fastpack 30 ahead of a planned 2 day running circumnavigation of the Isle of Wight (and other adventures).
https://www.centurionultrarunningstore.com/products/ultimate-direction-fastpack-30

It's just about big enough to hold a 1 person Saunders Jetpacker tent, a Jetboil Micromo, an Exped sleeping mat, a 1-2 season down sleeping bag, some grub, 500ml water bottles x2, a toothbrush, phone and a a few dry clothes for a 5-6kg packweight. Which frankly is more than enough to be running with for 30+ miles a day. 

Seems like an excellent piece of kit so far.

Review: the Fastpack is great - lots of very accessible storage on the move without taking it off.  Final pack weight including water was in the region of 6.5-7kg.  The pack did move about a little on the shoulders when running but my mate went for a different pack and his did too, so I think that's just what happens when you run with a good deal of weight.  No chafing after 65 miles - of which about half was running.  Some minor things I'd change about the pack but no showstoppers - would recommend.
For my next trip I'll take a robust looking bivvy bag that I inherited but at 782g it's way heavier than an Alpkit Hunka so I may upgrade in the future.  Even my bivvy bag will save 640g compared to my tent.  The Saunders Jetpacker is excellent but takes a while to pitch, having 12 pegs compared to 6 or 8 on more modern tent designs.
I also rate the Jetboil Micromo which worked well on it's first outing.

« Reply #1741 on: 17 September, 2023, 02:35:21 pm »
Bought two of these sleeping bags for this summer to use in place of our proper 3 season down bags.

Eeek! Look at the fifth picture down - happy smiling couple, sleeping on separate air matresses on the edge of a huge drop into the sea. All it would take is a restless night or the iar mattress being a bit slippy...

(Yeah I know that is a staged phot shoot)

Fluffiness of FP800 😂

« Reply #1742 on: 10 November, 2023, 12:18:52 pm »
I bought another tent.  You lot made me do it, I swear!  🤔

Our Hilleberg Nammatj 3GT is getting a bit dog-eared now, especially the inner where the elastics have flopped with age and the footprint which has protected the inner well but taken damage along the way.  It will still serve well as a tent from time to time.  In fact, I do have plans for it but that is another story.

Anyway, I digress:  I have always liked the Hilleberg Keron 4GT which is like a bigger Nammatj in many ways but as well as having a larger sleeping compartment it also has a door at both ends.  Wonderful for airflow especially on warm days.

I felt that we needed a more compact tent for touring as Castell Brecon is great for long weekends and more but pitching and packing daily is not really practical. 

And so when a Keron 4GT appeared on eBay I messaged the seller for more information.  Being as satisfied as I can be I have bought a Keron 4GT with footprint apparently used for one night only and in otherwise perfect condition for a third off new price.

It will be used on our trip to Orkney next year for definite.  Other trips:  we'll see ...

Happy days.   🙂🙃🙂🙃🙂  👍

Regulator

« Reply #1743 on: 22 November, 2023, 01:38:43 pm »
Just ordered myself a Zenbivy Core Bed 25° (with a 25" sheet) as a Black Friday deal.  I intend to get in some more winter camping.

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

« Reply #1744 on: 11 December, 2023, 09:09:29 am »
Just ordered myself a Zenbivy Core Bed 25° (with a 25" sheet) as a Black Friday deal.  I intend to get in some more winter camping.

This arrived whilst we were away last week.  It was unpacked yesterday and I shall have to find a suitable occasion to road test it.

Green Party Councillor

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #1745 on: 11 December, 2023, 09:48:13 am »
An OEX Bobcat 1 person tent from Go Outdoors. Fairly decent price (£75 reduced from £115) but not as low as some reviewers claim on YouTube.

Not used it yet apart from setting up in the front room to do a quick quality check. Means my OEX Phoxx 1 V2 will probably go up for sale...