Author Topic: Device driver detection software  (Read 624 times)

Device driver detection software
« on: 17 August, 2010, 11:15:39 am »
I'm sure that there used to be a free utility that would check the system and download all the updated drivers needed.   I seem to be able to find all subscription driver scanner software only now.   One comes 'free', free being one driver a decade, or something equally useless!!!

I appreciate that I am seeking something useful for free.

Re: Device driver detection software
« Reply #1 on: 17 August, 2010, 11:23:44 am »
Windows update does that for any it knows about anyway.

I'd steer clear of third party stuff, as it presents a perfect excuse to snoop around your system doing whatever it wants with full admin permissions.

If there are any specific drivers you want updated because of instability, search the vendor's website for them.

Re: Device driver detection software
« Reply #2 on: 17 August, 2010, 11:33:53 am »
Windows update does that for any it knows about anyway.

I'd steer clear of third party stuff, as it presents a perfect excuse to snoop around your system doing whatever it wants with full admin permissions.

+1

A large chunk of 'free helpful stuff' on the Internet is rammed full of spyware, rootkits and botnet agents.

Even if the person behind the software is legitimate it's a common attack vector to hack into the site in order to taint the perfectly good helpful software with the appropriate malware with the original author completely in the dark about it.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."