Author Topic: 'flu jab'  (Read 35655 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: 'flu jab'
« Reply #100 on: 09 March, 2014, 03:39:48 pm »
MS is a problem. I don't know what sort of registers the practice keeps.
I have had no chest badness, thankfully.
I have not attended a doctor at my GP's since I had sebaceous cysts eons ago.
I attended a nurse for a smear last year and local hospitals for other screening matters.
My only medication is interferon, which is entirely managed by my neurologists.
I kid myself I'm pretty fit...

« Reply #101 on: 09 March, 2014, 08:51:15 pm »
I  suspect the  GP practice  has discovered  you are  " at  risk".  You are now a target.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #102 on: 09 March, 2014, 08:57:12 pm »
Could well be.
David is envious; he points out that he is asthmatic and gets lurgies from which he seems to suffer for weeks. He's noted I seldom get a lurgy; I can't remember the last time I had Teh Snots, let alone anything worse.
David will request a 'flu jab when he pushes me the hundred metres to the surgery tomorrow.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #103 on: 09 March, 2014, 10:45:22 pm »
As well you know, Proper Flu cares not for a person's bogey history.  MS seems to have attacks triggered by strong lurgy?

Should be easy for the parter / housemate of an At Risk Person to get the jab.   :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #104 on: 09 March, 2014, 11:02:49 pm »
Hope so.
I don't mix much with Other Humans so I'm at less risk than those who meet much General Public.
Whatever triggered my MS is ancient history, though any fever would make my symptoms much worse.

« Reply #105 on: 10 March, 2014, 08:34:22 am »
After  all these  years, I think we ( the NHS ) have  been doing flu jabs since 06, your GP  practice really ought to know who its " at risk " patients are. A  couple of  searches and some  intelligent cross  referencing  should have  found you or your partner.  Though you do sound like a primary care avoider!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #106 on: 10 March, 2014, 10:01:05 am »
The at risk groups for the flu campaign are well defined.  I suspect that you have been targetted as someone with a risk, who isn't in an 'at risk' group, to use up spare vaccine.
Getting there...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #107 on: 10 March, 2014, 02:26:05 pm »
Practice nurse asked why I came!
Told her I'd not been invited for flu jab before.
She said I ought to get them and put me down for a reminder for the Autumn, as well as giving me jab today.

Requested jab for David.
Offered almost immediate consultation with her colleague who put him through health screening.

We then forgot David's flu jab due to computer crash and my garrulousness, though he has to return for fasting blood test tomorrow. I hope he remembers his flu jab then!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #108 on: 10 April, 2014, 01:35:05 pm »
Saw the physio on Friday. He is bewildered. Gave me some exercises, stretches and a theraband, and I'm going back in a month.
Today he poked at my arm until he was sure he'd found the sorest place, then "massaged" the sorest place (rubbed it till it hurt even more), then did ultrasound on it. With a machine, he's not some sort of Sonic the Hedgehog ultrasound-emitting physio. The bottle of ultrasound gel has a bat on the front with smiley teeth.  ;D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #109 on: 23 October, 2014, 08:18:07 pm »
Had my first 'flu jab ever last year.  No issues.  Normally I avoid such things, but the GP sprung a trap and stabbed me before I realised what was happening.
I was quite surprised to read of EG's problems as I had no problems at all.  Mainly, I didn't die of 'flu.
So, I thought I'd book a slot with the practice nurse for this year. 
Bang, in went the shot.  "Ooh" she says, "you're eligible for the pneumonia shot"
Bang.
Today, I'm really struggling.
I feel crapper than a crap thing.  I may have to throw my first sickie in ten years tomorrow.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #110 on: 23 October, 2014, 08:23:19 pm »
Had my first flu jab earlier this year and hardly noticed.
Had another last week and hardly noticed either.
That is all.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #111 on: 23 October, 2014, 08:34:22 pm »
Flu jab made me feel rubbish this year:  It caused a sore arm, which lead to a crap night's sleep and feeling cruddy the following day.  No noticeable systemic effects from the jab.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #112 on: 23 October, 2014, 08:39:03 pm »
David's arm was sore after his flu jab. Mine was not.
I had more discomfort from being wheeled 100 yards home on the wettest day of the year. (40.7mm rain was recorded by NW3Weather 11 km away.)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #113 on: 25 October, 2014, 12:18:27 am »
I didn't get discharged from physio until July this year because of what last year's flu jag did to my arm. I'm not bothering with it this year.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #114 on: 25 October, 2014, 09:39:26 pm »
Had my first jab last year . I didn't get my usual 'heavy cold' which would lay me up for a day or so, no side effects with the jab so had another this year.Hopefully the same result.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #115 on: 28 October, 2014, 09:53:21 pm »
Had my flu jab on Monday. Arm still sore, intermittently. Notice it more in the evening, and if I sleep on it. Should fade after a few days if previous experience holds true.
Embrace your inner Fred.

simonp

« Reply #116 on: 29 October, 2014, 01:00:37 pm »
Having regular flu jabs (of inactivated virus) when young may increase your risk of catching 'flu in older age.

=> Free flu jab from work may not be such a good thing after all, though the study I found didn't consider herd immunity.

Two weeks tomorrow for us.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #117 on: 29 October, 2014, 10:48:19 pm »
No problem at all with the flu jab this year.
Getting there...

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #118 on: 30 October, 2014, 08:40:30 pm »
I've had flu jabs for the last 7 years. Had a bit of a reaction 2 years ago that responded well to being ignored. This year, after a fortnight, there are no noticeable problems.
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

ian

« Reply #119 on: 05 November, 2014, 09:00:47 pm »
I came down mild flu a few days after ours (recovering now). Sore throat, period of semi-wellness then fever, shakes, and night sweats. Admittedly I did have proper flu a decade ago and they had to rush me to hospital and throw me in an ice bath. It was a good job the polar bear had already finished. This one has been distinguished by my having to present my balls to the doctor for a squeeze. Who knew, testicular flu. It's a thing you don't want. More so, I'd imagine, if you're a lady.

The scientist in me says it's a coincidence and not the jab, I've never had a reaction before, and as a semi-regular visitor to sub-Saharan Africa, I've been vaccinated against about everything other than sea lions and crayola.

Flu jab
« Reply #120 on: 12 January, 2018, 06:33:56 pm »
MrsC is trying to persuade me that I should get a flu jab. I'm not in any of the 'at risk' groups (58, pretty good health in general).
What do the panel, particularly the medically informed members, think.

TIA
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Flu jab
« Reply #121 on: 12 January, 2018, 06:35:55 pm »
Having the flu is rubbish, even without the lingering chest infection that I'm prone to.  Downsides of the jab consist of a mildly sore arm, and having to walk across the road to go and get one.  No-brainer if you ask me.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #122 on: 12 January, 2018, 08:12:35 pm »
We weren't offered one this year and though disappointed, have been too lazy to push, despite our surgery being only about 150 metres away.

I'd go for it if offered.

I'm 59 and healthy apart from MS. Partner is younger & mildly asthmatic but had no recent treatment.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #123 on: 12 January, 2018, 08:54:55 pm »
I fall into several categories, age, health x 2.  I was always invited but never bothered until last year (my GP ambushed me during a regular repeat prescription reviereview appointment )
As I don't cycle anything like as much these days I thought it best to do it this year as well.
Neither of them gave me a sore arm or the mini 'flu symptoms I hear others mention.
In my opinion you have nothing to lose.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

simonp

« Reply #124 on: 12 January, 2018, 09:04:55 pm »
Herd immunity.

I haven't had mine yet, should get it. I'd have to pay but £10 isn't much and if I get the 'flu I'll be sad.