Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 470715 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #3150 on: 13 June, 2020, 07:13:29 pm »
Results came back as negative! So probably just a normal dose of man flu.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3151 on: 16 June, 2020, 09:41:17 am »
Results came back as negative! So probably just a normal dose of man flu.

Man dear, don't do yourself down: women's immune systems are about twice as effective as men's.  No need to perpetuate the sneer.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3152 on: 16 June, 2020, 09:45:06 am »
Anyway, planning to get out on the bike early today and beat the thunderstorms I got up an hour earlier than usual, caught the diabetic roller-coaster at the wrong bit of the cycle and now, despite food, feel like shit warmed up on a shovel.  Arse.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #3153 on: 18 June, 2020, 05:06:48 pm »
I had a small piece of knee removed this morning for biopsy purposes.
And this morning I had a letter saying "no evidence of skin cancer, which is good news*" which is what I was expecting,

*just in case I was in any doubt as to whether cancer is a good or bad thing.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3154 on: 18 June, 2020, 05:30:19 pm »
I had a small piece of knee removed this morning for biopsy purposes.
And this morning I had a letter saying "no evidence of skin cancer, which is good news*" which is what I was expecting,

*just in case I was in any doubt as to whether cancer is a good or bad thing.

Pleased to see this!

BrianI

« Reply #3155 on: 29 June, 2020, 11:27:18 pm »
Well, this weird trapped nerve thing in my neck / shoulder causing a numb right thumb seems to be taking an "interesting" turn. My right hand is getting weaker, and seems to be more like a claw at rest...

Not ideal, it being my dominant hand... And a few pizza hut d2ds may have gotten squished trying to get my hand to work properly to post them through letterboxes.  ???  :-\

Whatever next... Perhaps I'll get my MRI scan of neck before the end of the year.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3156 on: 29 June, 2020, 11:35:36 pm »
Er ...shit?

BrianI

« Reply #3157 on: 30 June, 2020, 09:39:21 am »
Er ...shit?

Indeed. Looks like the rest of 2020 is going to be a washout healthwise :-/ At least I seem to have fully recovered from last years twisted bowel though, so that's something.   :facepalm:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3158 on: 01 July, 2020, 03:51:03 pm »
This saga needs documenting, as it looks like it could run and run:

Barakta has a suspected UTI.  It hasn't cleared up with >36 hours of copious drinking.  Her syndrome means she needs to take kidney things seriously.

As TextRelay (or AAA Breakdown Cover or whatever they've re-branded TypeTalk as this month) is overwhelmed with 111 calls, she emailed her GP practice, cunningly using the address they actually monitor, rather than the one they append to all outgoing SMSes.  She explained that she's deaf and lip-reads, so masks would be a problem if they want her to come in.

They replied suggesting that this could be worked around by giving her a telephone consultation.  So far so normal.

She asked if they were doing sign video consultations, because they'd recently bragged about it in one of their many SMS updates.  They said yes, but no technical details were forthcoming.

But that's okay, because in the interim someone had decided that all she needed to do was bring a urine sample.  She fetched a jam-jar from her collection, and took it round to their back door.  The intercom on the gate wasn't actually a problem, because they've been just buzzing everyone in without asking since the week after it was installed.  Someone without a mask collected the sample, asked her if she was well ("no, that's why I'm providing a urine sample") - it turns out they meant COVID-19 symptoms - and that was that.

*Time passes*

Predictably, calls from 'Private number' to her mobile.  I was in the loo at the time, so she just told the caller she was deaf and if they were the GP they should email her and hung up.

No email.

She sent them an email asking what was going on and if it was them trying to phone her (and they shouldn't there's a note in her file, FFS).

They reply saying that she'll have to provide another sample, because the container leaked.

I molished a label for it with a "this way up" arrow, and she's just taken it round...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3159 on: 01 July, 2020, 04:00:25 pm »
She's just received an SMS for a video call.

It's some proprietary thing, there's no interpreter, and she's having unidirectional audio problems...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3160 on: 01 July, 2020, 04:01:33 pm »
She's got the audio working.

Unfortunately they couldn't test her sample, because it leaked...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3161 on: 01 July, 2020, 04:02:40 pm »
No, she's really not pregnant...

They're going to look for her second sample, and will let her know.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3162 on: 01 July, 2020, 09:22:59 pm »
No, we were never using sign language video interpreters... I decided to see if I could do 1:1 video consultations on their own with a clear "I don't know how it'll go, I'll try".

I think it's OK, probably best to request female GP (most of them are) and hope for the best.

Apparently there is definitely a note on my GP file but HCA didn't see/read/notice it... Not a very good note then. I suspect if <99% of patients don't have a note of interest, the note isn't worth checking Every Time and people are busy and stressed... The note needs to be more obnoxious.

I have documented the events and I will write to practice manager to say I don't want to complain, it's clear staff are under a lot of stress but they need to be aware the notes do not work, the buzzers aren't amazing and a few suggestions on how to improve that quickly and easily even if the note IT fix has to wait till post Covid.  Oh and they need to stop using images of text or weird shit on their site or they'll be automatically in breach of the new public web access regs in September... Just Use Text damnit.

BrianI

« Reply #3163 on: 04 July, 2020, 07:10:03 pm »
Er ...shit?

Indeed. Looks like the rest of 2020 is going to be a washout healthwise :-/ At least I seem to have fully recovered from last years twisted bowel though, so that's something.   :facepalm:

I phoned the appointment department yesterday to see where i am in the queue. Still another 4 months to wait for my MRI scan...  ::-)

« Reply #3164 on: 05 July, 2020, 08:55:50 pm »
You are probably low down on the list because it isn't thought to be life-threatening. Not very reassuring when you have to put up with the pain and inconvenience.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

BrianI

« Reply #3165 on: 09 July, 2020, 06:41:37 pm »
I was offered a cancellation appointment for mri scan for Friday morning at 9:25am!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3166 on: 09 July, 2020, 08:03:40 pm »
Happening quite a lot as people are offered appointments then decide they do not want to risk the hospital.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3167 on: 09 July, 2020, 08:25:13 pm »
I was offered a cancellation appointment for mri scan for Friday morning at 9:25am!  :thumbsup:

Fab! Delighted for you and hope you get answers and possible treatments ASAP.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3168 on: 10 July, 2020, 04:56:22 pm »
Got a nasty reminder yesterday that quads which mostly contract to push pedals aren't too good at resisting elongation in braking mode. Ran down a banking on a walk to next village, been groaning on stairs since.

BrianI

« Reply #3169 on: 10 July, 2020, 07:29:43 pm »

Fab! Delighted for you and hope you get answers and possible treatments ASAP.

Thanks barakta.  :thumbsup:
Scan done in about 15 minutes, then I was away home again by 10am. 

:thumbsup:

BrianI

« Reply #3170 on: 13 July, 2020, 09:56:25 am »
18km on the mtb Saturday evening. Two days on, right hand is still very weak and stiff.  ??? Hopefully the mri scan will reveal something... Meanwhile I'm trying to avoid Dr Google...  :-\

« Reply #3171 on: 16 July, 2020, 08:39:10 am »
Stung on the tongue on the way to work this morning!

Hurt a bit and I was worried about my tongue swelling up for a bit. Settled down to just a bit of pain now.

No, I wasn't wearing a mask  ::-)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3172 on: 16 July, 2020, 09:15:29 am »
Happy lunch!

« Reply #3173 on: 16 July, 2020, 02:07:20 pm »

Hurt a bit and I was worried about my tongue swelling up for a bit. Settled down to just a bit of pain now.

Did you swallow?

« Reply #3174 on: 16 July, 2020, 02:09:22 pm »

Did you swallow?

I spat (doesn't every cyclist have a 'spit out insect' reflex?)

Then realised there was something rough on my tongue. Rode on a bit, tongue starting to really hurt. Stopped and used selfie camera on phone to find the sting and pull it out.

Still sore. Stupid insect.
<i>Marmite slave</i>