Author Topic: Six Nations 2019  (Read 12838 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Six Nations 2019
« on: 01 February, 2019, 10:00:08 pm »
I'd love to know what the French coach told the team at half-time to make them bollix up the second half that badly.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
Re: Six Nations 2019
« Reply #1 on: 01 February, 2019, 10:54:14 pm »
France clearly had their finger on the self destruct button longer than Wales did.
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 02 February, 2019, 12:27:44 am »
You can't judge a lot from 5 minutes' highlights, but that looked like a lot of fun - unless you happen to be French, of course.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3 on: 02 February, 2019, 12:35:44 pm »
I don't usually watch Rugby, but I watched that game and it was thoroughly entertaining. I think the terrible weather played a massive part in a lot of the fuck ups...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 02 February, 2019, 06:45:22 pm »
Scotland-Italy pretty much according to the form book but I hope those smug bastards at Paddy Power lost their collective shirt after the game in Dublin :D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #5 on: 02 February, 2019, 07:11:22 pm »
It seems to be assumed by those who think they know about these things that Wales will have no trouble in beating Italy next week - I am never so sure about these "sporting certainties" - and will therefore set up a very significant game against England at Cardiff for a week or two later.

It seems from the Graun's article that Wales' win yesterday was the biggest turn-round ever in the history of European/British rugby. I'm not a fan of these records as when I first started watching rugby over 50 years ago the try was only 3 points so you have to analyse the result in order to make a fair comparison. I had in my mind England v Wales 1970 as a bigger turn-round as I recalled, incorrectly, that England had been 13 - 0 (two converted tries and a penalty) up when Gareth Edwards was taken off injured and Chico Hopkins replaced him. I knew that Wales had won 17 - 13, but I had sadly forgotten about Mervyn Davies' first-half try*, which brought the score back to England 5 - 3 Wales. Wales scored 4 tries, 1 conversion and one dropped goal, so under today's points values, that would have been 25 - 17 to Wales. But Mervyn Davies ruined it...  :D

*there's a 14-minute video of the highlights, introduced by Max Boyce

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 02 February, 2019, 07:30:31 pm »
England* seem to have done reasonably well this evening.

*Rugby. Not Cricket.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #7 on: 02 February, 2019, 07:43:28 pm »
Bonus point against Ireland in Dublin, not bad.   :thumbsup:
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #8 on: 02 February, 2019, 07:57:09 pm »

I was hoping England wouldn't get that last try and the bonus point so that Scotland would be top of the table.   
Seems they are anyway.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9 on: 03 February, 2019, 09:56:59 am »
Wales-France: :(
England-Ireland: :(

Bloody weekend all round.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10 on: 03 February, 2019, 01:32:00 pm »
England relaxed a little to rely and paid the price. That Ireland try in the last five minutes woke them up again and they nearly got another try. I thought it was a good performance by the England pal though, as for,the most part they kept the pressure on the Irish and just didn’t let them get any momentum.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 03 February, 2019, 06:25:58 pm »
It seems to be assumed by those who think they know about these things that Wales will have no trouble in beating Italy next week - I am never so sure about these "sporting certainties" - and will therefore set up a very significant game against England at Cardiff for a week or two later.

I'd be keen to bet against Italy in that one - what odds do you want, I'm sure we can come to an agreement :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #12 on: 03 February, 2019, 06:42:53 pm »

I'd be keen to bet against Italy in that one - what odds do you want, I'm sure we can come to an agreement :)

I think the last time I bet on a rugby match was when the Roberts Norster and Jones beat a vastly over-hyped England side in something like 1989. The BBC were so sure that England were going to win in Cardiff for the first time in 26 years that they assembled the entire 1963 team in the studio before the match started. Sadly, the guy who lost the bet (a pint, IIRC) was cremated last week.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/that-1980s-sports-blog/2013/mar/20/remembering-england-cardiff-five-nations-1989

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 03 February, 2019, 06:46:58 pm »
Aha I see now - this was a cunning plan so I'd THINK I would win some money off you, but ACTUALLY you'd shoehorn in another "vastly over-hyped England side" anecdote.

Well played sir!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #14 on: 03 February, 2019, 07:11:49 pm »
Aha I see now - this was a cunning plan so I'd THINK I would win some money off you, but ACTUALLY you'd shoehorn in another "vastly over-hyped England side" anecdote.

Well played sir!

Well, of course! I have absolutely no shortage of anecdotes about shit England rugby sides and quite a lot of them are true.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 03 February, 2019, 07:16:22 pm »
So do you still think Italy will beat Wales?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #16 on: 03 February, 2019, 07:21:35 pm »
No. I think Wales will win. But I thought they would beat France without the latter totally ballsing up the second half. I have a suspicion it will be much closer than the pundits seem to think. Note the expression I used in the post in question: "I am never so sure about these sporting certainties." Quite a bit of nuance there if you care to look for it.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #17 on: 03 February, 2019, 07:28:29 pm »
No. I think Wales will win. But I thought they would beat France without the latter totally ballsing up the second half. I have a suspicion it will be much closer than the pundits seem to think. Note the expression I used in the post in question: "I am never so sure about these sporting certainties." Quite a bit of nuance there if you care to look for it.
I suggest you look for any reputable pundit stating that a Wales win is a "certainty".
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #18 on: 03 February, 2019, 07:30:52 pm »
I suggest you look for any reputable pundit stating that a Wales win is a "certainty".

Surely "reputable pundit" is an oxymoron. Their job is to hype teams up to sell papers or persuade people to tune to a particular channel.

I think I'm a reputable pundit in that I have over half a century of watching rugby and other sports and the unexpected turns up far more often that one might expect. ;) I just don't try to make any money out of it. At least, not since Wales v England 1989.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 03 February, 2019, 07:40:36 pm »
Perhaps I'm missing something - where are these "sporting certainties" of which you speak reported?

(I think we all know that sport creates expected results and unexpected results. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #20 on: 03 February, 2019, 08:10:53 pm »
Perhaps I'm missing something - where are these "sporting certainties" of which you speak reported?

(I think we all know that sport creates expected results and unexpected results. )

I was referring to the opening paragraph of this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/feb/02/warren-gatland-wales-france-six-nations-paris

Warren Gatland predicted this would be Wales’s toughest game of the Six Nations. He claimed that if Wales beat France in Paris they would have a great chance of winning the championship. He is right. Having pulled off the biggest comeback in Championship history with their extraordinary 24-19 victory, Wales swan off to the Riviera for a few days, as they prepare for their assignment in Rome next Saturday, which they will surely win.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #21 on: 05 February, 2019, 11:44:44 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/feb/05/thousands-of-six-nations-tickets-touted-on-viagogo-investigation-reveals

I think perhaps this post belongs in the thread entitled "Unsporting life".

I can't remember whether the first international match I attended was Wales v Australia or Scotland v Wales, in 1972 or 1973. Both were in quick succession. I recall a pal and I paid face value for the tickets at the Cardiff Arms Park, just walking in the day before the match (it was a very weak Aussie side and the tickets just weren't selling) and handing a small sum of cash (probably about a quid - I can't remember) to a bloke at a desk. The second occasion, we paid cash at a turnstile - no paperwork involved. It cost 60p.

Edit: research indicates that the match at Murrayfield, won 10-9 by Scotland, was on 3rd Feb 1973, and the Australia (24 - 0 to Wales) match was on 10th November 1973.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #22 on: 09 February, 2019, 02:04:26 pm »
Quote from: Graun text commentator
“Ireland will be like a wounded buffalo, nostrils flared” says Alan Partridg John Inverdale.

;D ;D

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #23 on: 09 February, 2019, 03:35:01 pm »
Scotland would appear to be the better team on the field, but the score line doesn’t agree.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #24 on: 09 February, 2019, 05:03:08 pm »
Too many handling errors.  Shame they didn't get a bonus losing point though.
Ah. They didn't manage the bonus point because yet more handling  errors.   :(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.