Author Topic: Edinburgh Tram Lines - Cyclists win damages  (Read 2032 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Edinburgh Tram Lines - Cyclists win damages
« on: 28 June, 2019, 08:27:49 pm »
Just spotted this news item which relates to cyclist vs tramline issues in Edinburgh.
There's been at least one fatality so far.
At one point in time, the magic paint cycle lanes did cross the tram lines at an alarmingly shallow angle in places, but that may have changed by now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-48802167

Re: Edinburgh Tram Lines - Cyclists win damages
« Reply #1 on: 09 July, 2019, 09:52:30 am »
"A further 39 claims by cyclists against the council and Edinburgh Trams, which had been put on hold, are now expected to proceed."

I've not been in Edin for ages now, but I can imagine that the ruling that the cyclists bore no responsibility for the accidents will focus a few minds in the council and tram company. Interesting stuff

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #2 on: 09 July, 2019, 10:17:27 pm »
I was cycling around in Edinburgh the other week, including up, down and across Princes Street, and can't say I noticed any dangerous routes over the tram lines.  I did see some sections which made the cyclists' path distinctly alter direction, to go over at right angles, so perhaps those were the problem areas.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

bairn again

« Reply #3 on: 10 July, 2019, 08:45:10 am »
I was cycling around in Edinburgh the other week, including up, down and across Princes Street, and can't say I noticed any dangerous routes over the tram lines.  I did see some sections which made the cyclists' path distinctly alter direction, to go over at right angles, so perhaps those were the problem areas.

They are very dangerous at Haymarket going west and also (to a lesser degree) on Princes Street / St Andrew Street junction heading east.  The danger at both points could have been avoided completely with a design that had factored in cyclists (and its that feature that really niggles).   

« Reply #4 on: 10 July, 2019, 12:01:08 pm »

They are very dangerous at Haymarket going west and also (to a lesser degree) on Princes Street / St Andrew Street junction heading east.  The danger at both points could have been avoided completely with a design that had factored in cyclists (and its that feature that really niggles).

It's also not much fun if you want to turn right from Princes St onto S St David's St (so heading west from the Bridges). You need to get into the right hand lane just where the tracks join the road at a very shallow angle. That's where I came off, breaking my wrist and arm (and bike and glasses) and ended up with several stitches in my face. That was several years ago and I've not been that way again, but I don't expect it's any safer now.