Author Topic: Need a new flag, where to buy in the uk?  (Read 1840 times)

Need a new flag, where to buy in the uk?
« on: 05 May, 2020, 01:42:55 pm »
Raindrop kits is out of stock of everything and the website hints about not making flags anymore.

I looked at premierkites thinking it was a uk store and when I got as far as postage which more than doubled the cost I realised it wasn’t.  Not paying £96 for a flag!  ;D

Anywhere else.  Currently have the standard ice trike one but would like something bigger.

Re: Need a new flag, where to buy in the uk?
« Reply #1 on: 05 May, 2020, 05:04:06 pm »
What shape flag are you after ??
Hows your sewing ??

Buy a cheap kite.
Slide the trikes pole down the long side.
Sew the loose edges together.
One triangular flag.

Easy ........  ;D

« Reply #2 on: 05 May, 2020, 10:03:26 pm »
I cut across a fluorescent tabard (given free at Skyride) rolled the cut edge and Mrs WJ sewed a pocket for the pole.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #3 on: 06 May, 2020, 08:16:39 am »
If you're not too bothered about people thinking that you're a Brummie.

The Black Country Shop in Dudley sells Black Country flags starting at £2 and then increasing sizes up to HUGE. I have one on my trike that's about 18" by 12"

They have a Facebook page where you can order items by post.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

« Reply #4 on: 07 May, 2020, 05:01:05 pm »
If you're not too bothered about people thinking that you're a Brummie.

The Black Country Shop in Dudley sells Black Country flags starting at £2 and then increasing sizes up to HUGE. I have one on my trike that's about 18" by 12"

They have a Facebook page where you can order items by post.

I'm using a 9" by 6" Black Country flag flying under a Mercian flag molished [word learnt from Kim yonks ago - hope I've used it correctly] from a saltire and a yellow marker pen. Both attached to horse whip that I found on the hill out of Winchcombe going to Cheltenham some years back. I don't worry about people thinking I'm a Brummy. As soon as I speak they know I am not and profess not to understand me; just as I do with genuine Brummies.  :)
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #5 on: 08 May, 2020, 08:49:43 pm »
I like the kite idea more than the possibility of being mistaken for a Brummie.  ;)

Although my dad is from the Black Country (Walsall) amd says he’s not a Brummie!

Off to buy a cheap kite now, think even my poor sewing skills could manage that.  Thanks.

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #6 on: 09 May, 2020, 10:22:47 am »
I cut across a fluorescent tabard (given free at Skyride) rolled the cut edge and Mrs WJ sewed a pocket for the pole.

There is a no-sew option for flagmaking, too.

A hi-viz vest is a good starting point because they tend not to fray once cut, so hemming them isn't essential.  For a triangular flag, cut a diamond-shaped piece that, once folded in half around a pole, gives the triangle shape you want – maybe 4 to 6 inches high and as long as you want, perhaps 12 inches.  Put a strip of one-inch double sided tape down the fold line, and stick the pole – 3mm fibreglass rod works well – onto it.  Then fold both sides of the flag around the pole to make your triangle and the double sided tape contacts itself.  For belt and braces, two or three mini eyelets crimped through the flag and the tape will keep it there.  Attaching the pole to the bike is an exercise left for the reader, but cable ties and bits of inner tube are useful.

The resulting flag, that I had on my Windcheetah at the time, was still going strong 15 years later with the new owner.  I made a slightly more robust (less "flappy") version once by first hemming the edges, adding some of the Scotchlite tape I had previously unpicked from the hi-viz vest, and then sewing the two sides together.  But I never used it because by then my needing-a-flag days were long gone.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

« Reply #7 on: 09 May, 2020, 11:07:24 am »
I did use red 'diffraction' sticky back plastic to make a flag once - diamond shape, peel back half the backing, pole across narrower corners, stick together as peeling the rest of the backing off, trim.

It worked quite well - stiffer than many cloth flags, so less 'flap', and the diffration pattern glinted in the sun to catch peoples' eye.

It did split in the end, though.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #8 on: 09 May, 2020, 06:29:04 pm »
I like the kite idea more than the possibility of being mistaken for a Brummie.  ;)

Although my dad is from the Black Country (Walsall) amd says he’s not a Brummie!

There's some in the Black Country would say he isn't Black Country either! One thing about Black Country folk is that though they hardly understand the dialect of the next borough they each have a personal definition of the Black Country boundaries and will argue the toss about it. :)
Never knowingly under caffeinated