Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 474387 times)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #2625 on: 07 March, 2020, 07:07:28 pm »
Another excellent issue. Well done to all editors and contributors.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2626 on: 07 March, 2020, 10:15:35 pm »
On page 12: "An Audax grandee was recently heard to describe the Mersey Roads 24 hour Time Trial as the easiest four points on the calendar".

Hey, that was me.  I'm an Audax grandee!  Although the article is about getting some serious distances done, even someone like me can give it a go and see how far they can get within 24 hours.  Anyone used to riding overnight Audaxes should have a go at least once.  You "only" need to complete 250 miles (400km) within the 24 hours to get 4 points.

Well recognised  ;D

Possibly Greg was using "grandee" to indicate Mike's status as an official in Audax UK?  I think Mike's "defence" is fair enough in that you would get no climbing points for the Mersey route and you don't have any serious route-finding to do.  And if you have support you don't even have to find anywhere to re-fuel and there are no information controls.  You just have to ride, though 400k is in itself a big "just".  Nevertheless, it is probably true to allude to it as the easiest "just" IN THE CALENDAR.   But that in no way belittles the effort involved and Mike didn't seriously suggest that anyone could do it.  (Mike is a better rider than he always suggests, anyway.)

I think Greg was just using a journalistic hook to start the article off.  Slightly inaccurate (which is possibly why he didn't name Mike) but that's journalists for you!  It's a good article, too.

Peter

The title and strapline were both editorial insertions, though the strapline was a re-use of a bit that got edited out of the article.  Glad you liked it!

« Reply #2627 on: 07 March, 2020, 11:49:28 pm »
It was an impressive ride, too, K.  Some excellent performances by Audaxers generally and I guess they might have been the best-represented "club".

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #2628 on: 08 March, 2020, 09:31:46 pm »
It really is a great magazine. Congrats to Ged and everybody who has contributed.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2629 on: 09 March, 2020, 07:09:29 am »
So when do you graduate from 'grandee' to 'ancien'? I would have thought AUK/long distance cycling community is mercifully short of 'grandees'.
Why?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2630 on: 09 March, 2020, 10:11:35 am »
I guess I regard 'ancien' (or 'ancienne') as more complimentary than 'grandee' which comes with (for me) light associations of entitlement. And long distance cycling, in UK anyway, seems attractively egalitarian (one seat, two legs) compared to other sports (Will Carling's 57 old farts comes to mind).
Do you think we would benefit from more grandees, then?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2631 on: 09 March, 2020, 06:22:03 pm »
I guess I regard 'ancien' (or 'ancienne') as more complimentary than 'grandee' which comes with (for me) light associations of entitlement. And long distance cycling, in UK anyway, seems attractively egalitarian (one seat, two legs) compared to other sports (Will Carling's 57 old farts comes to mind).
Do you think we would benefit from more grandees, then?
Not by your definition!

But the dictionary doesn't prescribe entitlement, so I don't see the term as derogatory; more as denoting respect, or just acknowledgement of knowledge/experience, with a knowing wink to the very British nature of AUK in this case.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2632 on: 10 March, 2020, 06:59:47 pm »
Brought back memories of two 24-hour rides.  I was beaten in the second one by 121 miles and still pleased with my result.  The first counted for my SR series that year, so was doubly valuable.  I wouldn't describe either experience as "easy", rather the other way, the pressure of every minute off the bike counting meant that I felt these were the two hardest events I've ever done, including finishing the Brimstone despite picking up a campylobacter infection on the war round.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #2633 on: 10 March, 2020, 07:13:06 pm »
Depends on your goal. I got 4 points in a 24 with a terrible ride, hardly any preparation, and a bit of stomach trouble that meant I ended up with less than 20h moving time. (I was doing it unsupported too.)

I had no pressure to keep on moving as I didn't really care how I did, from about 9h in it was clear that it wasn't going to go as I had magically hoped it would and so I settled in for taking it easy and just plodding along to the finish. Stopping to chat for 10 minutes each time at the Hodnet tent on the night circuit was a particular highlight.

I can imagine going for a specific target (the win, a club record, 400 miles, 600km, etc) might make it far less enjoyable, but I was just there to make up the numbers so I can see how it could be considered a very easy "4 points" if that's all you wanted out of it.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2634 on: 10 March, 2020, 08:40:17 pm »
My first (& best) was an acceptable 412m.  Afterwards I discovered that the single step up to the HQ door was more than I could manage.  Sitting in the car on the homeward journey was painful to say the least.

rob

« Reply #2635 on: 10 March, 2020, 08:55:17 pm »
To be honest going for specific goals and chasing them for so long made my life very difficult and I was not pleasant to be around.  My family and friends got me going after I almost didn’t start and I will be eternally grateful for that.

I achieved my target but didn’t celebrate the win as much as I should have.  There’s a lot to be learned from all this and I’m not sure I’ll go back as a competitor.

« Reply #2636 on: 10 March, 2020, 09:16:27 pm »
I'll probably go back but it won't be for a good few years. Got my eye on 400 miles (or 600km if that doesn't work out).

(Already have the club record as no-one else has done a 24h TT.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

rob

« Reply #2637 on: 10 March, 2020, 09:27:52 pm »
I'll probably go back but it won't be for a good few years. Got my eye on 400 miles (or 600km if that doesn't work out).

(Already have the club record as no-one else has done a 24h TT.)

The dinner we all had together after our rides in 2016 is one of my favourite memories of the events I’ve done.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2638 on: 13 March, 2020, 11:08:46 pm »

Got home to find my copy of Awoowoo in the mailbox. Shall look forward to reading it this weekend.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2639 on: 13 March, 2020, 11:13:44 pm »
(click to show/hide)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2640 on: 13 March, 2020, 11:20:35 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Oh wow, until you said that I hadn't even looked at the text on the front cover. I looked at the photo, but that was it. My Amvee arrived!

J
--

« Reply #2641 on: 14 March, 2020, 10:22:49 am »
It looks like another cracking edition.

Got to say I didn’t agree with Mr Lennox’s opinions on using turbo trainers. Indoor training for me has been an epiphany for general fitness and has made audax all the more enjoyable.

It’s 2020 and things change.

Agree with you, especially in the current situation. Don't know about Peleton, which only seems to be online spinning sessions and variants thereof, but Zwift is a great community with riding of all disciplines possible, and has been a real asset for my training and far more enjoyable than plain turbo training - I would never go back to turbo training staring at just a Garmin screen now. And if you want/need fresh air, open the windows/garage door/etc.

OK, it costs £12.99/mth, and you need a smart trainer to get the most out of it, but this is partly offset by the saving on wear and tear on the outdoor bikes I would otherwise use, and also means I'm not prevented from going out when I'm time crunched or when the weather prevents me.

If Mr Lennox is local to Essex he's welcome to come to my place to try it.

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #2642 on: 14 March, 2020, 11:19:08 am »
It looks like another cracking edition.

Got to say I didn’t agree with Mr Lennox’s opinions on using turbo trainers. Indoor training for me has been an epiphany for general fitness and has made audax all the more enjoyable.

It’s 2020 and things change.

Agree with you, especially in the current situation. Don't know about Peleton, which only seems to be online spinning sessions and variants thereof, but Zwift is a great community with riding of all disciplines possible, and has been a real asset for my training and far more enjoyable than plain turbo training - I would never go back to turbo training staring at just a Garmin screen now. And if you want/need fresh air, open the windows/garage door/etc.

Peloton is actually pretty good IMHO. Wouldn't be my first choice if I were the only user at home, but others in the family who aren't cyclists like it and use it. Mostly, as you say, spinning but more structured power based workouts are available with some good structured programmes available online. Also yoga and stuff. It is very expensive, and the marketing is excruciating, but much more engaging than getting on a turbo. Of course riding outside is vastly more enjoyable, but stuff like this has its place. And if it gets a few non-cyclists into riding, so much the better.
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2643 on: 14 March, 2020, 11:20:25 am »

And another issue with a photo of me in it. On the plus side, it's not a photo of my arse this time...

J
--

« Reply #2644 on: 17 June, 2020, 02:00:43 pm »
Well done on this edition. Very well done, in the circumstances. Top 'Listening to the Membership' first thoughts/summary, Caroline.

« Reply #2645 on: 17 June, 2020, 02:08:49 pm »
Not read it yet, but spotted the crossword at the back. That's a nice addition.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2646 on: 17 June, 2020, 11:32:44 pm »
Not read it yet, but spotted the crossword at the back. That's a nice addition.

Oooh, I wonder how long it's going to take to get to .NL this time. I'm guessing it won't be fast given the current situation.

Will it get here before my PCB's that have been stuck at LHR since Sunday...

J
--

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2647 on: 18 June, 2020, 01:08:47 pm »
It's not Awoowoo any more :'(

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2648 on: 18 June, 2020, 01:28:29 pm »
It's an interesting issue, with a lot worth reading.

I'm not sure what to make of the new Cycling Shorts feature. It's like a contents page with more detail, but the plain contents page is still there.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2649 on: 18 June, 2020, 04:14:43 pm »
More like a padded insert ??
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll