Author Topic: NHS Health Check  (Read 1515 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
NHS Health Check
« on: 17 June, 2010, 11:06:10 pm »
I've had one this evening and am in smug mode.

Weight: 109kg
Height: 178cm
BMI 34.4
Total cholesterol: 4.92
HDL cholesterol: 1.43
Cholesterol ratio: 3.4
BP: 148/81
CVD risk score: 12%
Relative CVD risk score: 9

Given that I already knew the first three figures, I'm pretty chuffed with the rest. My blood pressure was a bit (but not much) higher than the normal figure from the (probably inaccurate) device I normally use, but we'd just cycled 3.5 miles with a bit of a climb.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: NHS Health Check
« Reply #1 on: 19 June, 2010, 10:27:54 am »
Personally I'd rather not know of any of that stuff. I'm never sure what use it is meant to be. Just like everyone else I'll die one day - what of seems of little relevance (altho' cancer  most likely - it's what's got all my friends and relatives who've already left the stage!).
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2 on: 19 June, 2010, 10:41:33 am »
I had a private health check once, and all I remember was that I was half an inch taller that I thought, and that my haematocrit level was 43%.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 19 June, 2010, 10:44:22 am »
When I had one of those my haemhorroid level was zero.

Which was nice. 
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 19 June, 2010, 12:37:13 pm »
Personally I'd rather not know of any of that stuff. I'm never sure what use it is meant to be. Just like everyone else I'll die one day - what of seems of little relevance (altho' cancer  most likely - it's what's got all my friends and relatives who've already left the stage!).

Methinks a stroke might cramp your style and cycling without bumping you off outright. High blood pressure is a comon cause of stroke and often can be trated by taking just a few tablets.

I'd check out some basics.

Chris S

« Reply #5 on: 19 June, 2010, 03:32:20 pm »
I had an NHS Health Check when I turned 40.

Doc's verdict: "I hope you're not making too many plans for retirement - you're way off the scale for risk factors..."  :o.

Things have somewhat improved since!

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #6 on: 19 June, 2010, 06:44:19 pm »
Just doing this now. My liver function is slightly off apparently so another round of blood tests to make sure it's not something I eat. Doc says may as well get tested for Hepatitis at the same time, as that would be the next step...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 19 June, 2010, 06:53:26 pm »
We used to get one in work every two years but now only the nobs have this privilege.  We're obviously expendable.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #8 on: 19 June, 2010, 07:01:30 pm »
I had an NHS Health Check when I turned 40.

Doc's verdict: "I hope you're not making too many plans for retirement - you're way off the scale for risk factors..."  :o.

Things have somewhat improved since!

The doctor said roughly the same to me.  I drink, I smoke and I'm an obese bastard with a cholesterol level that's through the roof - by rights I should be hanging round the Pearly Gates giving blow jobs to St Peter to try to wangle my way in...

...but I've beaten cancer twice and I'm still trucking.  So I shall go on annoying my GP by having ridiculously normal blood pressure and still breathing.   :smug:

;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor