Author Topic: Insect bites  (Read 13164 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Insect bites
« on: 05 July, 2012, 09:19:38 pm »
My shins and calves are a suppurating mess of nasty weals, lesions and red lumps, courtesy of the Blandford flies that attacked me when I was in the park last night and the night before.

They are much, much worse than midge bites and they are driving me bonkers..
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Chris S

Re: Insect bites
« Reply #1 on: 05 July, 2012, 09:34:38 pm »
Are they similar to/the same as Horse flies?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2 on: 05 July, 2012, 10:20:59 pm »
No. They are quite feeble fliers and can't get above waist height, apparently, which is why you get bitten in the legs. They scrape a lump of skin away rather than perforating our skin with a proboscis.

I must have been bitten about six times by the little buggers. Each bite has a swollen red area around it and it continues to weep lymph. As this dries it forms a crust on the top. They itch like hell.

I first noticed these insects a year or two ago when we would go to our tai chi class on warm days, I'd wear shorts and the instructor suggested that we do some outdoor tai chi. Wiki suggests that they are becoming more common. This could be down to the very wet summers we seem to get these days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blandford_fly refers.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #3 on: 09 July, 2012, 11:27:17 am »
These are a truly bastard fly.  I remember being bitten half to death in the New Forest in the 80s. The bites can get quite nasty due to the itch thing.
Worse than mosquitos in my opinion. Although  less loaded with yellow fever, dengue and malaria.
They seem to come and go in waves in particular areas - they were just plain blackfly until Blandford was hit when they got their new name.
The other truly evil fly is the common horsefly. Its a really nasty little bastard and completely fearless.  Its fitted with an actual drill.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4 on: 10 July, 2012, 05:34:24 pm »
I've been bitten on my right ankle today. Dunno if it was as I cycled to work through the leafy undergrowth of Bingham, or if my workplace is infested again.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #5 on: 10 July, 2012, 06:05:34 pm »
Several years ago, in Ardnamurchan, I was bitten by a large creature, which my Scottish mate called a cleg.  It's bite was so big, the hole was clearly visible. I brushed it off mid bite. Within a few hours, the wound had swollen enormously.  By that evening my whole calf was swollen and very noticeably bigger than the other, as well as losing any definition between calf and ankle.  By the next day, the lower leg was still hot, red, swollen, and felt strangely hard to the touch. The the original wound site was still itchy.  The leg remained this way for several days, before the swelling began to subside. It didn't stop me riding the bike, so I just ignored it, although it did look strange and scared small children. On my return to the Uk I had a GP appointment for another matter.  My GP noticed the leg, which although much better, was still swollen, hard, red and hot to the touch.  He asked me about it and I said it was just an insect bite and had been much worse.  He asked me to describe it and then told me that if I ever had a reaction like that again, I should go straight to a doctor's as there is a chance of developing necrotising fasciitis from some creatures' bites.  This, apparently, would be a Bad Thing. 
I don't know if you have similar symptoms, but bear this in mind.  Wouldn't want you to become necrotisingly fasciited.

« Reply #6 on: 10 July, 2012, 06:42:07 pm »
Two things:-

.... in Ardnamurchan,...............

........  On my return to the UK............

They've not had "The Vote" yet  ;)

although it did look strange and scared small children

As ever, TTIUWP  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 10 July, 2012, 07:18:21 pm »
"criticising is not safe" is an anagram of "necrotising fasciitis".  DAHIKT

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #8 on: 10 July, 2012, 08:18:41 pm »
Got about 20 mossie bites on the recent 1200 en france  and belgium . The worst time was in the B and B when I needed 4 hrs sleep before the start and had to listen to them attacking me for 3 hours. It was hot too and one got me on the Bum.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #9 on: 11 July, 2012, 06:55:28 am »
Two things:-

.... in Ardnamurchan,...............

........  On my return to the UK............

They've not had "The Vote" yet  ;)

Whoops!  I didn't even notice that.  Comes from growing up in an almost rabidly anti Brit family, half Irish, half Scottish.  I thought I had broken free of its influence but it's obviously far too deeply submerged in my subconscious.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #10 on: 11 July, 2012, 12:21:00 pm »
The Cleg is indeed the bastard horse fly. Its a truly nasty thing, the curse of the summer.  I bet the scotch ones are even nastier, as they have to compete with the blasted midges for their blood supply.
Scotland is the pits for insects. My mate has a house on Skye and its got a lovely view which can only be enjoyed from indoors in the summer (in winter you cant see out through the rain). He has a BBQ and if they want to use it they all don head to toe clothes, tape up the gaps, and put hats on with nets.
There is apparently a week in May some years when the rain stops and the sun comes out before the midges hatch when its lovely, and after huge storms when they have been blown onto the mainland.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #11 on: 11 July, 2012, 12:37:12 pm »
I managed three Blandford fly bites at the weekend.  Scratching them spreads the infection and can lead to real horrors, so I am trying quite hard to avoid giving in to the urge to give them a really good scratch, especially since they're tucked behind my right knee.  >:(

Tigerrr

• Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #12 on: 11 July, 2012, 02:26:10 pm »
I managed three Blandford fly bites at the weekend.  Scratching them spreads the infection and can lead to real horrors, so I am trying quite hard to avoid giving in to the urge to give them a really good scratch, especially since they're tucked behind my right knee.  >:(

Are you certain they are Blandford Fly bites?
The bites are often confused with bedbugs, or human fleas, or louse bites.  I suggest to get a nit comb and check out your scalp, and its probably best to make a few calls and ask if anyone else you were with over the weekend has suspected louse bites.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #13 on: 11 July, 2012, 02:27:16 pm »
;D

I may be a Woman Against Non Essential Grooming, but I don't have lice in my leg hair.

« Reply #14 on: 11 July, 2012, 04:01:14 pm »
On some tv programme they were trialling a machine that attracts flying insects so that they are drawn to it instead of biting you. Rob looked at it and gleefully said ‘I don’t need that, I have you’.

It is true that after two camping trips (one in Norfolk, one in Canterbury) I am looking a bit like a plague victim. One of them has managed to scrape a large chunk of skin off the front of my ankle and it keeps weeping so much that I’ve had to put a plaster on it to stop my sock sticking to it  :sick:

We are going to Snowdon next month for a few days’ camping and I do wonder whether I will have any unbitten skin left…

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 11 July, 2012, 04:38:44 pm »
We really ought to organise a camping trip for those of us who are always the insect-magnet, so we can work out who's the champion.

Cut-down sanitary towels are good for the weepy remains of insect-bitten ankles.  (I have a terrible tendency to shred them in my sleep.)

« Reply #16 on: 26 July, 2012, 10:03:54 pm »
The 'bagger has had the benefit of cycling in glorius sunshine over the Malverns all week in the company of a good woman, whilst we ordinairy mortals have been confined to sweating at work. My sympathy is therefore muted, just a tad.

I do however, understand that insects can make life intolerable and empathise. I got stung in the eye by a beastie last summer which was not nice and now carry one of those anti sting wands around with me (yes I know not good for eyes).

Anyhow hope you are back up to scratch (no pun etc)  for your Welsh trip Peter.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #17 on: 26 July, 2012, 11:06:27 pm »
We had biting insects at the camp site, 'tis true.

Both Jane and I were bitten by mosquitoes. I had some deet-flavoured body-rub but didn't use it because my companion for the weekend has an allergic reaction to such things. Firstly I didn't want to spray it on me and cause her any discomfort through the inhalation of fumes, and secondly, in my experience these little buggers tend to intensify their attacks on the defenceless when others are armed with insect repellant and that would have been both unsporting and ungentlemanly.

« Reply #18 on: 27 July, 2012, 09:21:25 am »
The scottish midges are out in force in the borders now.
They annoyed me so much on wednesday evening that I lost concentration whilst shooting with a 338 cal and split my eyebrow wide open with the recoil. This caused my nephew huge mirth ;D
The ensueing bleed made it much easier for the midges to feed.
Still managed a four inch group at 850 yards :)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #19 on: 27 July, 2012, 04:11:54 pm »
Argh! I was bitten last night as I mowed the lawn. I felt the bastard actually bite, twice, about half way up my side.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #20 on: 27 July, 2012, 04:16:06 pm »
Today I heard that putting deodorant on the bites stops them from swelling up/itching too much.

Thinking about it, some little beast managed to bite me three times in my armpit in Norfolk, and it is true that those bites didn't turn anywhere near as nasty as the bites on my legs/feet. I suppose it's worth a try...

Si_Co

« Reply #21 on: 27 July, 2012, 04:20:30 pm »
^^ Lavender oil really good for the itching/swelling

« Reply #22 on: 27 July, 2012, 04:32:01 pm »
This is a cleg female, you'll know when they bite!
They seem to congregate in my garden because of the lake and woodland across from me.

I had one bite me on the shin and it swelled up like a golf ball, I still have a largish scar where it bit me  >:(

cleg fly eyes by  DJB (Thanks for your comments!), on Flickr
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #23 on: 01 August, 2012, 02:54:44 am »
It'll be the alcohol in deodorant that stops the itching. I can also highly recommend these, they work wonders for me and stop the itching.

Gone are the days when I used to be the one without the bites, but now I seem to be some form of delicacy for all biting insects. I now go camping with 100% DEET.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #24 on: 08 August, 2012, 03:21:23 pm »
I’m going to buy some of those things wot Valiant linked to, I think.

At the weekend I went walking wearing some Craghopper trousers – the ‘Nosilife’ ones that are supposed to be permanently insect repellent. They are made of nice fabric that dries out very quickly.

However at several points I needed to lift the dog over stiles and hence had to get closer to nettles than I wanted to. Their stings went right through my trousers and my legs are a right mess now. And the first couple of nights after I could hardly sleep for itching, despite applying that Afterbite stuff.

Even the bloody plantlife is out to get me…