Author Topic: They tell me I'm OK  (Read 3366 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
They tell me I'm OK
« on: 03 June, 2014, 11:28:22 am »
I have just got back from A & E where I have spent about 4 hours. I awoke in the night with chest/upper arm pains and after some deliberation decided that discretion was the better part of valour. My blood pressure was persistently within a gnat's crotchet of 135/80 and my pulse was mostly in the high 50s. I had a chest X-ray as apparently methotrexate users are liable to develop polyps on the lung (I didn't know this before). They had to do two blood tests as either the first one didn't work properly or they just didn't believe it.

I've still got the pain, which isn't massive, but nagging. This could be muscle stress as a result of carting heavy bikes & luggage between trains at the weekend, but it doesn't really feel like that. Weird.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: They tell me I'm OK
« Reply #1 on: 03 June, 2014, 11:33:17 am »
If they have ruled out heart problems, then it is highly possible you've hurt something in your upper back/neck. Can cause odd problems.

Shifting heavy stuff can be a problem. Since moving house I seem to have developed arthritis in two joints in one hand. :(
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 03 June, 2014, 12:51:38 pm »
Glad to know heart problems have been ruled out.
Getting there...

« Reply #3 on: 03 June, 2014, 01:01:53 pm »
Blimey, Bagger. Good to hear your ticker isn't dodgy. Have a good rest and a big hug. 

« Reply #4 on: 03 June, 2014, 01:22:46 pm »
Good to hear that you are ok old thing. Significant birthday aches and pains eh?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 03 June, 2014, 01:29:20 pm »
I hope you are OK and stay that way.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #6 on: 03 June, 2014, 01:30:03 pm »
Methotrexate is nasty stuff.  It's commonly used as chemotherapy for some types of cancer (presumably you are using for rheumatism?) and has some very severe side effects.

I'm not a doctor (of medicine anyway - I am a doctor of something) and don't want to worry you too much but it if it is causing nasty side effects then it may be best to move onto something else if it is causing problems.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #7 on: 03 June, 2014, 02:29:44 pm »
Methotrexate is indeed nasty stuff and, in consultation with the rheumatology dept at Southend General, I have reduced my weekly dose from 7 tablets to 5 (17.5mg to 12.5mg). There was no suggestion that I'm having some sort of reaction to methotrexate and I have regular blood tests to check on such things, and I sincerely hope that I can stay on it because it works very well at reducing the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis.

« Reply #8 on: 03 June, 2014, 02:41:28 pm »
Glad your OK

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #9 on: 03 June, 2014, 02:50:00 pm »
Well good to hear it's working for you with the arthritis :)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #10 on: 03 June, 2014, 03:11:46 pm »
And long may you continue to be OK, you old bagger, you.  :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 03 June, 2014, 03:29:53 pm »
Glad this wasn't any more serious - and well done for hitting up the hospital a bit sharpish.  You can't be too careful with pains like that.

Gentle hugs!
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #12 on: 03 June, 2014, 03:34:26 pm »
Glad this wasn't any more serious - and well done for hitting up the hospital a bit sharpish.  You can't be too careful with pains like that.

Gentle hugs!

Likewise.

« Reply #13 on: 03 June, 2014, 08:22:47 pm »
Only just seen this!

Glad you went and got it checked out.   Hope that it proves to be nothing serious.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #14 on: 03 June, 2014, 09:46:48 pm »
Sincerely hope it turns out to be nothing to worry about....
Keep well.
J

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #15 on: 03 June, 2014, 11:14:31 pm »
You're ok? Did you get a second opinion? ;)

Seriously, Peter, I'm glad all's more or less well. Take care.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #16 on: 03 June, 2014, 11:25:25 pm »
Thanks for the good wishes, one and all.

It's still mysteriously painful - sort of. It's not as clear-cut and cutting as arthritic pain, but seems to run in a line at the moment between my right armpit and the crook in my elbow, and a bit down my right side. It doesn't feel muscular. I've had a poke around to see if I can feel any lymph nodes up, but there is no sign of any.

Oh well, a couple of paracetamol and to try and sleep a bit better than I did last night.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #17 on: 04 June, 2014, 08:59:31 am »
Eek sounds scary. Hope you're now feeling OK :-)
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #18 on: 04 June, 2014, 09:05:59 am »
I hope it wears off after a day or two.

I regularly have weird issues after carting trikes on and off trains but they usually go away after a while.

I had a month of very weird arm pains after taking up yoga again not so long ago. Gave myself quite a scare with it all!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #19 on: 04 June, 2014, 10:01:05 am »
I think I've identified it.

It's a very similar quality of pain to when I had sciatica three or four years ago. At the moment it's in my arm, back and chest, all radiating out from my right shoulder, but moving around, sometimes much worse than others.

I reckon I have a trapped nerve somewhere and it's giving me jip.

Ruth

« Reply #20 on: 04 June, 2014, 10:07:15 am »
Blimey Wowbagger, don't be scaring us like that!  Sincere gladness that your enormous heart is behaving itself.  I hope the pain sorts itself out soon  :-*

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #21 on: 04 June, 2014, 12:35:40 pm »
Hope you feel better soon Peter. :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #22 on: 05 June, 2014, 01:02:27 am »
I think I've identified it.

It's a very similar quality of pain to when I had sciatica three or four years ago. At the moment it's in my arm, back and chest, all radiating out from my right shoulder, but moving around, sometimes much worse than others.

I reckon I have a trapped nerve somewhere and it's giving me jip.
That looks like good news. I sincerely hope your analysis leads to a useful treatment

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #23 on: 05 June, 2014, 11:50:25 pm »
Did grandparent duty today.

My "injury" or whatever didn't seem to be exacerbated in any way by lifting up grandchildren or pushing them along in push chairs. In fact, I seem to notice it most when I'm not using it, especially when the bloody thing keeps me awake at night.

« Reply #24 on: 05 June, 2014, 11:57:15 pm »
I had pains like that when I got a frozen shoulder. Diffused pain, centred on the shoulder. It didn't come on suddenly, though, & was definitely worse when the shoulder was put under strain.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897