Author Topic: After market rear carrier for a brompton?  (Read 6208 times)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
After market rear carrier for a brompton?
« on: 10 November, 2012, 11:41:08 pm »
Any ideas?  I can't afford the Mudguard and Rack from Brompton at around £90-00 :hand:! Has anybody managed to find a rear rack that fits, takes plenty of weight and doesn't affect the fold?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Re: After market rear carrier for a brompton?
« Reply #1 on: 21 November, 2012, 08:47:42 pm »
Can it be done?
May involve some sort of butchery to a standard rack maybe  :-\

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2 on: 21 November, 2012, 09:10:11 pm »
Depending on how much weight you want to add then a seatpost rack might work, it would look a bit strange though.

Otherwise there are some adjustable leg racks made for fitting to either 26" or 700c wheels. The legs have a couple of retaining screws and a plate with a lot of holes in for the adjustment. I wonder if you could set one of those at maximum insertion and it may fit.

This sort of thing http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001R4BRAA/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9550946349&ref=asc_df_B001R4BRAA
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #3 on: 27 November, 2012, 12:32:04 am »
I think I'll let Brother Sprogs loose on the idea with his grossly perverted, yet inventive, way of making thimgs from other things!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
« Reply #4 on: 08 December, 2012, 11:46:52 pm »
I have been playing with fitting a rack on the back of my Brom but it would get in the way of my trailer hitch, as it was.

I decided to have a rear mounted Brompton block instead.

Would that be any good as an option?

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #5 on: 17 December, 2012, 07:50:36 pm »
I only just looked here again after ages, sorry. The pictures don't show for me?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 17 December, 2012, 08:14:46 pm »
The fantastic benefit of having suitable rear rack on a Brompton is the ability to push the folded bike along on Eazy Wheels, so it'd be wise to ensure any alternative rack is strong enough and can have the wheels fitted, or sell something to get the money to buy the official Brompton one.

http://youtu.be/aJlqf5W-lUk?t=49s
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
« Reply #7 on: 21 December, 2012, 12:01:16 am »
I only just looked here again after ages, sorry. The pictures don't show for me?
See if this works.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 21 December, 2012, 07:25:04 am »
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #9 on: 30 December, 2012, 11:08:49 pm »
Cheers all, I seed that I did! The Brommie is now on the Back Burner for a few other projects so I might have the necessary wonga for the Real T'ing by the time I need it.

« Reply #10 on: 07 January, 2013, 05:13:15 pm »
Steve Parry does a seat post rack with a B block on it for a second bag.
When you fold you turn it along the line of the frame under the seat as you lower the seat tube. Not cheap (I paid £75 for his used prototype) but easy to make your own from a standard seat post rack and a block. I did it for my Dahon Speed TR.
Your brother will manage it easily  :)
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #11 on: 11 January, 2013, 12:25:29 am »
Good idea! I will get him pondering on the idea soon!

« Reply #12 on: 16 March, 2013, 11:06:10 pm »
I fitted an old dahon carrier quite easily. I used p clips and cut the carrier's rear end off. The support  legs could be moved so I got the height of the rack just right. The rack needs to be wide to stop the bike falling over when folded! I tried with an old Birdy rack which looked great but because it was narrow the bike toppled over when folded! My pannier rack will take two front pannier bags! '