Author Topic: 40@40  (Read 27906 times)

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
Re: 40@40
« Reply #150 on: 09 December, 2016, 10:22:26 pm »
"and none will hear the postman's knock,
Without a quickening of the heart,
For who can bear to feel himself forgotten?"

I got mine, I showed my 4 year old daughter who seemed pleased, before she moved on to her Kinder Egg. She did ask "is it for cycling daddy?" so that was encouraging...

So true.
Did you write that or is it a quote?
I still haven't found the badges - I have asked Jonah-Jr over and over again but I'm starting to think that he won't hand then over because he wants to keep them until he is 40

« Reply #151 on: 10 December, 2016, 05:23:16 am »
SHINY  :thumbsup:

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #152 on: 10 December, 2016, 08:11:55 am »
My package arrived yesterday, an unexpected and very welcome Christmas present.  I'm beginning to regret not having gone for 40@40, but it would have been a big increase in distance.  I'm so chuffed I might just wear my Super Randonneur badge to work.  Many thanks to Allan for organising this pleasant surprise.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #153 on: 10 December, 2016, 09:12:10 am »
She did ask "is it for cycling daddy?" so that was encouraging...

Slippery slope danger.... 6@6 next?

Excellent job by Allan.

« Reply #154 on: 10 December, 2016, 09:39:05 am »
Very pleasant surprise yesterday when 40@40, Randonneur and Super Randonneur medals arrived. I knew about the 40@40 award, but hadn't realised there were commemorative versions of the other two. Seems like I have inadvertently gained the full set by riding my bike a few times during the year :-)

Thanks Allan for organising this.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #155 on: 10 December, 2016, 10:18:29 am »
Thanks from me too. Three more shiny medals. I am contemplating ordering the new six sided medals for my 2016 rides, as I never managed a full set of rectangular cloth or medal ones. The same for RRtY x1.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #156 on: 10 December, 2016, 12:51:48 pm »
This was a really lovely surprise, the wording in the letter was nice to.

Thanks to everyone who made this happen.  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #157 on: 10 December, 2016, 08:21:28 pm »
"and none will hear the postman's knock,
Without a quickening of the heart,
For who can bear to feel himself forgotten?"

I got mine, I showed my 4 year old daughter who seemed pleased, before she moved on to her Kinder Egg. She did ask "is it for cycling daddy?" so that was encouraging...

So true.
Did you write that or is it a quote?
I still haven't found the badges - I have asked Jonah-Jr over and over again but I'm starting to think that he won't hand then over because he wants to keep them until he is 40

Sadly not, it's Auden, from The Night Mail...

https://youtu.be/zmciuKsBOi0

I often quote this when the postman calls, I suspect Mrs Paulworthington53 may be finding it rather tedious...

Martin

« Reply #158 on: 15 December, 2016, 11:05:24 am »
got mine thanks

nice and big and shiny

and sufficiently obscure to make cow orkers question what it's for!

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #159 on: 16 August, 2017, 01:46:06 am »
Nice surprise in today’s post. A collection of 40 Anniv medals including the sought after 40@40 (also SR Medal as I earn double UltraSR and Anniv Randonneur).

Still on target for 70@70 with 13 over the Oct/Nov Autumn months and a Dec ride already in the bank. These ‘Birthday+ -equalling’ targets sound like fun and certainly provide a solid reason for riding throughout the year; in retirement, the target is eased by having 7 days to choose from and it is easier to plan a weather window. But they are far from easy as the number climbs each year and at this age, fitness and health are more difficult to maintain and speed does reduce. Living in the South Midlands/North SW (?) provides decent weather, cf the more Northern climes

With the popularity of the 40@40 challenge, is there an argument to extend this theme for medals for 50@50, 60@60, 70@70,?80@80??

Big thanks to Allan Taylor for administering these medals

What a day to achieve my 70@70, Indian Partition 70th Anniversary, 15 August. Pre-LEL I was on 68; LEL was a DNF, so just had to let recovery take it’s time and wait for the right forecast. I selected my Bristol Double Avon 200 Perm, with its combination of Cotswolds, Sustrans into Bristol, crossing the Docks and a route to Upton on quiet roads parallel to the R Severn.  I pick up the route in Churchdown, using a route I commuted for several years. My late start, 10:00-ish gave me 12hrs until the convenience store PoP closed (or find the local pub!). Made it with 10mins to spare after a 1hr TT from Upton.

Weather great too. Cannot explain how my Edge 1000 jumped out of its 1/4-Turn mount in the Bristol traverse; It was in landscape, rather than portrait view, so I was not seriously watching it. Had an address sticker on the back, so it might return?

Should round off the year on 76+, if I keep my RRTYs (2x200/mth) going.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #160 on: 16 August, 2017, 08:07:00 pm »
Nice surprise in today’s post. A collection of 40 Anniv medals including the sought after 40@40 (also SR Medal as I earn double UltraSR and Anniv Randonneur).

Still on target for 70@70 with 13 over the Oct/Nov Autumn months and a Dec ride already in the bank. These ‘Birthday+ -equalling’ targets sound like fun and certainly provide a solid reason for riding throughout the year; in retirement, the target is eased by having 7 days to choose from and it is easier to plan a weather window. But they are far from easy as the number climbs each year and at this age, fitness and health are more difficult to maintain and speed does reduce. Living in the South Midlands/North SW (?) provides decent weather, cf the more Northern climes

With the popularity of the 40@40 challenge, is there an argument to extend this theme for medals for 50@50, 60@60, 70@70,?80@80??

Big thanks to Allan Taylor for administering these medals

What a day to achieve my 70@70, Indian Partition 70th Anniversary, 15 August. Pre-LEL I was on 68; LEL was a DNF, so just had to let recovery take it’s time and wait for the right forecast. I selected my Bristol Double Avon 200 Perm, with its combination of Cotswolds, Sustrans into Bristol, crossing the Docks and a route to Upton on quiet roads parallel to the R Severn.  I pick up the route in Churchdown, using a route I commuted for several years. My late start, 10:00-ish gave me 12hrs until the convenience store PoP closed (or find the local pub!). Made it with 10mins to spare after a 1hr TT from Upton.

Weather great too. Cannot explain how my Edge 1000 jumped out of its 1/4-Turn mount in the Bristol traverse; It was in landscape, rather than portrait view, so I was not seriously watching it. Had an address sticker on the back, so it might return?

Should round off the year on 76+, if I keep my RRTYs (2x200/mth) going.

Well done 3P. Keep it rolling.  I managed 71@71 in July. Presently on 86 going for 100.

October '18  72@72  :)

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #161 on: 18 August, 2017, 12:26:48 pm »

Well done 3P. Keep it rolling.  I managed 71@71 in July. Presently on 86 going for 100.

I had thoughts for 100 but DNF on LEL scuppered the reality. Age -related points @ are certainly a challenge post 60 but a great challenge in retirement (as is RRTY!).
Well done to you JayP and I hope you make the Century.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.