Author Topic: The Cambridge Autumnals 100 + 200 — Saturday 21 October 2017  (Read 11672 times)

Re: The Cambridge Autumnals 100 + 200 — Saturday 21 October 2017
« Reply #50 on: 21 October, 2017, 07:38:17 pm »
The forecast headwind never really amounted to much, nothing more than a light breeze from the SW. 
You must have had a very sheltered ride then. ;)

« Reply #51 on: 21 October, 2017, 08:15:09 pm »
Well, I had a lovely day out. I'm quite glad that I swapped from the 200 to the 100. I bruised my ribs last Wednesday so I didn't know how I would cope with any distance but some Ibruprofen and Codiene kept most of the pain at bay.

My train pulled into the station at 8am which meant that on my way to the start I saw a good chunk of the 200k riders heading out. Incredible to think that many of them will still be out at the time I'm writing this. Had some toast and the most amazing flapjacks (thank you Nick's Wife-sorry I don't know your name). Spoke to one or two of the riders, some old hands and some first timers. After a few words from Nick it was time to leave. Fairly uneventful ride out through Cambridge then it was the right turn up six mile bottom and the feature for the first part of the ride-wind. It wasn't a full blown gale or anything but it was still fairly brisk. It was particularly energy sapping when going up hill.

Just before the control in Great Thurlow I saw an old friend of mine so stopped and had a quick chat, got the card stamped and headed on to Thaxted. On this section were some of the steepest climbs (I know they're not really that steep but for a Norfolk boy like me they are practically the alps), it was also the windiest bit (at one point I was going down a fairly steep hill and was barely going over 15mph) and lead to the most exciting part of the ride when 2 dogs tried to take me down including one waving a stick. Stopped at the Nisa store in Thaxted for a receipt and got chatting to Mike who I would see at various points during the ride. He told me that he hadn't Audaxed for a while but he was having a great time. Onwards to Saffron Walden with a change of wind direction making it a bit easier and a stop at the Bicicleta cafe. It took a little bit longer there than I would have liked but never mind my legs were certainly glad of the rest. As I left the cafe a woman on a mobility scooter drove straight into a lampost. Thankfully there weren't any cyclist near by her.

It was then the last third of the ride, more up and down hills. Thought I had missed the question in Balsham but the layby with the bin in it was past the National speed limit sign so all was good. Just the last bit back to Cambridge to go, Just before Fulbourn the crosswinds meant that I had to lean left towards it to stop being blown all across the road.

The ride through Cambridge was less fun this time round-pedestrians everywhere who would just step off the pavement without looking. Every set of traffic lights seemed to be red (a few audaxers did jump them though ::-)) Then it was back to the arrivee. A hot drink and a delicious Butternut Squash soup awaited me-yum yum, and then that was topped off with a piece of chocolate and banana cake-more yum yum. As I went to head off saw Mike arriving, great to meet you and Nick warned me that it would take 25 minutes to get to the station, as it's only 4 miles away I thought it would take no more than 20. Nick was right it took 23 and the Peds were even worse this time. I am glad I don't have to cycle in Cambridge everyday.

Thank you Nick for a great day out-it will definitely be the 200 next year.

Phil W

« Reply #52 on: 21 October, 2017, 09:49:17 pm »
Oh and a fun moment coming into Saffron Walden.  I was on my recumbent behind a replica of the back to the future car. They had a loud speaker to draw even more attention to themselves. A family looks across and the young kids go cool bike mister and wave at me ignoring the car. Take that to the future . He he.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #53 on: 21 October, 2017, 10:12:20 pm »
The forecast headwind never really amounted to much, nothing more than a light breeze from the SW. 
You must have had a very sheltered ride then. ;)
Light breeze? Between Barham and cambridge I was leaning into the wind to stay up. Probably 15 degrees.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #54 on: 21 October, 2017, 11:22:32 pm »
I still managed a 4th place

Did somebody tell you it was a race? That was cruel of them.

I stressed too much

Slow down and eat more cake. It's the getting round that counts, and if you don't get round, it's only a bike ride.

dod

« Reply #55 on: 21 October, 2017, 11:35:46 pm »
A testing day out on the 200, did most of the ride on my own after falling off the back of various groups, finished at 8:20 but there was still plenty of butternut squash soup and cake left - thanks Eva for a cracking spread!

The wind seemed to vary in strength during the day, but stayed mainly as a SSW and with the various hedges it didn't have too much of an effect on me going east then west (but I live in the Fens so I usually get to slog through it with no hedges for cover). Apart from the section before West Wickham, that was a block headwind and was definitely Type 2 fun.

Baker Street cafe in Fram and Maglia Rosso were both top notch, and a 5-star review for Revel Outdoors in Bury St Edmunds. Very friendly bike shop, more than happy to dig out the house floor pump to top up a repaired tube and sell me some more Park patches.

Thanks again to Nick, and can I argue that Suffolk might start to look autumnal in August next year? :)

LMT

« Reply #56 on: 22 October, 2017, 07:50:24 am »
A really good day out, many thanks to Nick and his team.

« Reply #57 on: 22 October, 2017, 08:11:47 am »
Funniest moment I witnessed occurred when my little groups of cyclists approached a narrow road in the middle of Cambridge. A youth cycling the other way was all over the road as he concentrated on his phone. A sharp shout from our lead cyclist brought him into the present, at which point he combined trying to comment about there being no need to shout and losing control of his bike. He veered 90 degrees and rammed a metre high bollard with his handlebars. He stayed upright, and I suspect his biggest issue was the embarrassment in front of the large passing throng of pedestrians.

A few spots of rain but otherwise dry throughout the 200. The wind was omnipresent, intermittently causing slow progress when head on. The direction of the wind certainly helped, it being largely side on.

The food selection and quality was superb, as was the availability of real coffee. Thank you to Eve for the baking and looking after tired riders, Nick for organising such an enjoyable event, and the various helpers for making everything run so smoothly.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

dim

« Reply #58 on: 22 October, 2017, 08:39:13 am »
I still managed a 4th place

Did somebody tell you it was a race? That was cruel of them.

I stressed too much

Slow down and eat more cake. It's the getting round that counts, and if you don't get round, it's only a bike ride.

It was a race against myself as it was my 1st Audax .... I wanted to ride it solo and at good pace .... I was hoping to complete the ride in under 5 1/2 hrs, but managed to complete in under 5hrs

Next audax, I will ride with a group

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #59 on: 22 October, 2017, 09:10:42 am »

I still managed a 4th place ...
If you're that concerned about placing in an event why don't you man-up, put a number on your
back and compete in proper racing. ;) 
Waits for him to bite.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #60 on: 22 October, 2017, 09:35:30 am »
Does it matter whether dim takes note of where he/she finished in the field? Not really.

Dim got round in a decent but not spectacular time that should give confidence that they can comfortably ride in a mid-pack Audax group, finish a 200 or tackle more challenging courses and not be likely to blow up or time out.

For future reference dim, AUK has a rule that no timed list of finishers will be published and some folk go a little beyond the letter of the rule. Other national organisations take a different approach. I usually prefer a no-time finisher list but it can be interesting to find out about those at each end of the finish time bell curve.

The 200 went pretty well. HK and I started a little late and picked up some stragglers on the way to the turn. The legs weren't going so well on the return but we offered a tow to some folk who were getting discouraged by the noticeable head/ crosswind. A rear flat on the fixed resulted in some swearing and a later finish than hoped. Good food and chat at the finish made up for that though.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #61 on: 22 October, 2017, 10:04:37 am »
What a grand day out, a couple of highlights were the rider taking on 'col du Packhorse Bridge', the moment when I unclipped at a junction only to be caught by the wind and have to rapidly unclip my other foot to stop been blown over and then the delight of that headwind.....  I think Nick was a bit worried when I got to the Arrive as I wasn't looking too chipper - suspect I had left some of my soul on the road on that last 100km in... Eva's magnificent spread soon restored normal service 

So happy not to have teh visitation fest of last year, nearly finished in daylight and apart from a few drops, a dry run... broken spoke aside - an uneventful ride 

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #62 on: 22 October, 2017, 10:56:03 am »
Does it matter whether dim takes note of where he/she finished in the field? Not really.

Dim got round in a decent but not spectacular time that should give confidence that they can comfortably ride in a mid-pack

You and Dim should get a room.  ;) Does where one finishes need to be mentioned?

« Reply #63 on: 22 October, 2017, 11:07:26 am »
I still managed a 4th place so I'm happy but I stressed too much ....
Otherwise known as 3rd place loser.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #64 on: 22 October, 2017, 11:10:07 am »

Dim got round in a decent but not spectacular time that should give confidence that they can comfortably ride in a mid-pack

You and Dim should get a room.  ;) Does where one finishes need to be mentioned?

Meh.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #65 on: 22 October, 2017, 12:47:41 pm »
Thank you to everyone who entered our Cambridge Autumnal events!  And big kudos to those who turned up and rode in somewhat challenging conditions  :thumbsup:  I hope you all enjoyed yourselves!

From our point of view, the day went well.  I was very worried that a lot of riders would be put off by the MetOffice's panicky weather warning and the Beeb's insistence on simplifying their weather report to show the absolute very strongest wind gust as their forecast!  That would've left us with an awful lot of food, since we cater for the number of riders who have entered and that started on Thursday, not the actual number who turn up on the day.  From where we were located at the control, it seemed breezy, but not gale-force; the sun was out for much of the day, too — we saw just a few spots of rain in the early evening; and it was a balmy 15°C during daylight, too —  a mild autumn's day! ;)

On the day I was delighted we could welcome 160 riders to the start across both events; actually 159 riders, plus one whose ECE from Londontown had taken longer than expected and turned up as we were handing the keys of the hall over to the martial arts Saturday group — apparently some finger-trouble with setting the alarm  :facepalm:  There were a lot of swaps from the 200 to the 100, which for most appeared to be a good decision — many of the riders of the shorter event looked like they were happy to have finished and would not have enjoyed going round a second time  :thumbsup:  There were a number of DNSes due to the wind; not as many as I feared, and mostly from lighter riders who feared being pushed around by the wind, or just don't enjoy the unsettled nature of the bike when buffeted a bit.

The first riders back on the 100km event took just just under four-and-three-quarter hours, but there were quite a few close together, which took us a bit by surprise.  The last 100 rider was back within the time limit, although after the 200km riders had started to return — a facet of the relaxed lower-speed limit on the BP event.

The first rider back on the 200km event is a local friend and club rider, and he's always quick!  He took a few minutes under eight-and-a-half hours, for anyone who's looking for a benchmark.  He said he had had to pop into work on the way through Cambridge to pick something up from his desk  ::-)  The last rider back in time was bang on the limit.  However, there were two further riders hors delais — one about 15 minutes after time, who had struggled with the wind on his first audax, but will be back for more.  And one who had gotten distracted by his Garmin after the turn at Framlingham for some bonus distance, arrived at the second control after it had closed, then struggled into the wind solo and didn't get to us until I was locking up the hall at 11pm!  (I had already confirmed he was okay on the phone.)

The wind was the main story of the day: it was a crosswind for most of the way on the 200, slightly tail on the outbound leg, so windy-but-flattering in equal measure.  The return route had some block-headwind sections, as well as some exposed high points.  Somebody said they spotted one branch blown down, but nothing much else apart from a lot of leaves being blown about, and very tired legs from all that winching.  The 200 route is a lovely, lovely route on a good day, and many riders said they really enjoyed it  :thumbsup:

The 100km riders said they didn't particularly enjoy the headwind section to Thaxted, but did really enjoy being blown uphill all the way to Balsham after Saffron Walden!  ;D  Again, they said they liked the route, a mix of lanes and quiet B-roads.  Quite a few riders new to audax on the 100km event who said they would now consider stepping up to the longer distance next time out  :thumbsup:

Nobody had kind words to say about the obliviousness of shoppers and tourists in the centre of Cambridge — unfortunately, it's near-impossible to route around this, since there are so few alternative bridges over the River Cam outside of Cambridge but still within reasonable distance, hence the city's name.  I always advise extreme caution, and these days see it as entertainment  :P

There were a number of DNFs — winching into the wind did for a number of riders' knees and they and their riding partners abandoned together; one was a tandem.  The first DNF of the day was purely technical: in following the pink line on his new Garmin Edge 1000, the rider managed to navigate left at the Round Church in Cambridge, then right, right, right again in the one-way, back past the Round Church and all the way back to the start  :facepalm:  He abandoned before an hour had passed on the basis he didn't trust his Garmin, which seems reasonable.  Most importantly — no accidents to report.

We always over-cater for our events, so the last rider to finish gets as much of the good stuff as the first rider back — and as others have said, Mrs W's cooking is really good  :)  We keep the arrivée open and running, at least a corner of it while we clear away the rest, for an hour or so after the finish time, so that stragglers also get properly looked after, as they are the ones that need it the most, and yesterday was no exception.

As usual, "event day" started sometime on Thursday for Ewa and me with shopping and cooking, and will finish sometime tonight with washing up and packing away for next time, with administration to do after that.

My thanks, as always, to the star team without whom we couldn't put on such events — Ewa (Mrs WB) for completely owning the hospitality, doing all the cooking and baking, and making everyone feel so welcome. Gareth for managing the desk all day: an important, busy and detailed task at the core of running any audax event, and that he does with great care and attention.  Alex B for spending his day stamping cards on both events in two different locations.  Ian for turning up at short notice to help in the morning when Senior-Junior-WB was taken off his feet.  And the two Junior-WBs for their help in the morning and as a runner in the afternoon  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  Thank you, thank you, thank you! x

The next event will be The Cambridge Pork Pie 200 and Spring Dash 100 in March.  Date TBC, hopefully the same weekend as usual (hall TBC).
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

LMT

« Reply #66 on: 22 October, 2017, 01:24:50 pm »
... plus one whose ECE from Londontown had taken longer than expected and turned up as we were handing the keys of the hall over to the martial arts Saturday group — apparently some finger-trouble with setting the alarm  :facepalm:.... 

I set the alarm fine, but opted not to wake up when it went off. ;)

Thanks again for any trouble you went to so I could ride. :thumbsup:

« Reply #67 on: 22 October, 2017, 01:55:37 pm »
Wonderful day out, thanks to Nick & co for the organisation.

As I said before leaving, I only really come for the chocolate and banana cake. The riding is a minor side detail.

dim

« Reply #68 on: 22 October, 2017, 06:31:17 pm »

Phil W

« Reply #69 on: 22 October, 2017, 08:10:00 pm »
a video of part of yesterday's ride:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBtlhcnr47I&feature=youtu.be

Comes up as video not available. Privacy settings?

« Reply #70 on: 22 October, 2017, 08:16:20 pm »
OK for me.  ^^^^^^^^

dim

« Reply #71 on: 22 October, 2017, 08:32:35 pm »
a video of part of yesterday's ride:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBtlhcnr47I&feature=youtu.be

Comes up as video not available. Privacy settings?

If it was you on the recumbent, I'm well impressed .... you cycle fast

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #72 on: 22 October, 2017, 09:39:21 pm »

Says he who kept overtaking the two tandems and the guy on the 'bent?!  :o ;)
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Phil W

« Reply #73 on: 22 October, 2017, 10:09:55 pm »

Says he who kept overtaking the two tandems and the guy on the 'bent?!  :o ;)

Ha, I think know who Dim is now, at least in appearance. Were you the one I passed heading out of Cambridge and then you kept catching me at the successive red lights? Then after we had broken free of Cambridge  I caught and passed the group led by the two tandems. Then the two tandems gave chase with a few drafting them, repassed me, then you passed. Then I repassed all of you, rinse and repeat as we headed to Six Mile Bottom?  Sadly for many that broke up their nice train behind the tandems. I think you had a blue jacket on?

« Reply #74 on: 22 October, 2017, 10:28:14 pm »
Blimey, the 100 sounds like it was a proper club run  ;D I'm sad I missed this one, again. Family duties and promises of time being made up after my cycling earlier in the year means my Audaxing is curtailed for a little while. Mind you, with all that cake on offer it might be a good thing I didn't come!