Author Topic: Audax 'stripes'  (Read 15300 times)

Audax 'stripes'
« on: 03 December, 2014, 11:01:00 am »
I had an idea this morning and knocked up a quick demo.

It's a little web tool where you enter your AUK membership number and year and it will generate your 'stripes' for that year.  A nice little visual representation of your audax year.

Try it out here: http://getyourstripes.co.uk

A couple of examples for what it looks like if you've done an awful lot of audaxing:
http://getyourstripes.co.uk/?membership_number=7565&year=2011
http://getyourstripes.co.uk/?membership_number=4183&year=2011

At the moment you can't export it or do anything with it, but if it looks like it may be of interest to some people I'm thinking that it could generate a jpg to use as facebook cover photo or in forum sigs (like veloviewer).

Note: You can probably break it very easily.  This was thrown together in an hour or so and is little more than a proof-of-concept!
Up the hills and round the bends

Re: Audax 'stripes'
« Reply #1 on: 03 December, 2014, 11:23:47 am »
Before AUK had a website, I entered details of my rides on a Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheet.
That migrated to a MS Excel spreadsheet.
Each row represents a ride and columns contain details of the ride.

I create a PivotTable to group rides of each season, length or whatever.

One spreadsheet now cus Excel 10 has over 1,000,000 rows.

« Reply #2 on: 03 December, 2014, 11:53:54 am »

My first thought was ... very pretty but what's the point?

My second thought was ... hang on a minute, I think I might have a little commission for someone with a bit of software wizardry and more time on his/her hands than is good for them.  If you could extend that to have a Randonneur Round the Year adjudicator I would be thoroughly impressed.  It would have to interrogate each year's results pages by MemNo, identify which rides qualify for the RRTY (non-zero in the points column) and spot 12 such occurrences in any consecutive months.  It gets more complicated when you take into consideration that multiple RRTY runs may occur simultaneously, not necesarrily starting in the same month.  No ride can be counted more than once.

Not only would I find such a webtool useful (as RRTY adjudicator), but I would imagine others could use it to check where they stand in the RRTY stakes before they make their claim.

And if you can pull that one off, I'm sure Steve Snook would be along with a similar request.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 03 December, 2014, 11:55:09 am »
Very pretty.  Do we get a translation of what the stripes mean?

« Reply #4 on: 03 December, 2014, 12:00:01 pm »

My first thought was ... very pretty but what's the point?

My second thought was ... hang on a minute, I think I might have a little commission for someone with a bit of software wizardry and more time on his/her hands than is good for them.  If you could extend that to have a Randonneur Round the Year adjudicator I would be thoroughly impressed.  It would have to interrogate each year's results pages by MemNo, identify which rides qualify for the RRTY (non-zero in the points column) and spot 12 such occurrences in any consecutive months.  It gets more complicated when you take into consideration that multiple RRTY runs may occur simultaneously, not necesarrily starting in the same month.  No ride can be counted more than once.

Not only would I find such a webtool useful (as RRTY adjudicator), but I would imagine others could use it to check where they stand in the RRTY stakes before they make their claim.

And if you can pull that one off, I'm sure Steve Snook would be along with a similar request.

The point was just for it to look pretty really!  A little visual summary of your audaxing year.

Regarding the RRTY tool, certainly the former part of that spec is do-able.  The concurrent RRTY checker would need more thought, but if there's an algorithm written down somewhere it could certainly be calculated programatically.  I shall give it some thought!

« Reply #5 on: 03 December, 2014, 12:02:46 pm »
Very pretty.  Do we get a translation of what the stripes mean?

Light blue = BP
Red = 200
Yellow = 300
Green = 400
Dark blue = 600
Grey = 1200

Taken from the AUK Brand Guidelines.  I think I've got the colours right (correct me if not)!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 03 December, 2014, 12:19:39 pm »
Grey is also 1000km?

The ACP used specific colours for enamelled medallions for each BRM distance.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #7 on: 03 December, 2014, 12:37:52 pm »
Brun clair = 150
Bleu ciel = 100
Blanc = 50

« Reply #8 on: 03 December, 2014, 12:44:22 pm »
Grey is also 1000km?

The ACP used specific colours for enamelled medallions for each BRM distance.

Corrected!

« Reply #9 on: 03 December, 2014, 12:45:29 pm »
Brun clair = 150
Bleu ciel = 100
Blanc = 50

Corrected, although I had to make a guess at the correct colour for 150 as it doesn't appear in the brand guidelines.

Does pink represent a distance?

Euan Uzami

« Reply #10 on: 03 December, 2014, 01:22:26 pm »
If you have done several consecutive rides of the same distance they appear as one contigious block. So wouldn't someone who's done 3 200s appear the same as someone who's only done 1?

« Reply #11 on: 03 December, 2014, 01:25:07 pm »
Brun clair = 150
Bleu ciel = 100
Blanc = 50

Corrected, although I had to make a guess at the correct colour for 150 as it doesn't appear in the brand guidelines.

Does pink represent a distance?
Pink is for nifty 50s.

« Reply #12 on: 03 December, 2014, 01:36:43 pm »
If you have done several consecutive rides of the same distance they appear as one contigious block. So wouldn't someone who's done 3 200s appear the same as someone who's only done 1?

Well, the red band would be three times as wide.  I could separate them with a small white band, but visually I don't think this looks so appealing.  You can see for yourself as that change is live on the site now.

« Reply #13 on: 03 December, 2014, 01:56:25 pm »
I did 17 rides in 2013 but only get 10 stripes as far as I can tell. All the same width.

Number is 8944

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #14 on: 03 December, 2014, 01:57:22 pm »
It seems to not always pick up all rides. For example 16 stripes for me last year out of 25 rides listed. And 27 stripes for last year's points champion out of 138 rides listed. Is it struggling with perms and/or ECEs maybe?  ???
(X-post with TSK)
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #15 on: 03 December, 2014, 02:09:40 pm »
It seems to not always pick up all rides. For example 16 stripes for me last year out of 25 rides listed. And 27 stripes for last year's points champion out of 138 rides listed. Is it struggling with perms and/or ECEs maybe?  ???
(X-post with TSK)

Fixed that bug now!  :D

« Reply #16 on: 03 December, 2014, 03:17:25 pm »
Any way to pick up on rides that were done on the same day to combine them as an ECE?

« Reply #17 on: 03 December, 2014, 03:22:15 pm »
Yeah, should be able to do that. I'll take a look later.

It's all done by trying to make some semantic sense of the unstructured data on the site so there's quite a bit of trial and error involved.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #18 on: 03 December, 2014, 03:46:17 pm »
If you want a challenge, how about working out AUK Edington(sp?) numbers?!

[see here if you don't know http://www.audax.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=360.0 ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #19 on: 03 December, 2014, 05:07:07 pm »
If you want a challenge, how about working out AUK Edington(sp?) numbers?!

[see here if you don't know http://www.audax.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=360.0 ]

I've asked if the Eddington Number could be added to VeloViewer. There's about a squillion percent more chance of that happening than Strava ever doing anything anyone actually wants (e.g. photo upload).

John

« Reply #20 on: 03 December, 2014, 05:52:12 pm »
No prizes but guess whos 'stripes' these are...

http://damselflydevelopment.com/auk/?membership_number=6372&year=2014
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #21 on: 03 December, 2014, 06:39:42 pm »
Well I think it is great!

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #22 on: 03 December, 2014, 07:08:33 pm »
Nice.

But it has picked up a AAA added points as pink on mine, I'm not sure if that's how they add AAA points to overseas rides and then subtract the distance, but leave the points.

« Reply #23 on: 03 December, 2014, 09:45:47 pm »
I love this!  ;D
Does not play well with others

« Reply #24 on: 03 December, 2014, 10:01:25 pm »
Nice.

But it has picked up a AAA added points as pink on mine, I'm not sure if that's how they add AAA points to overseas rides and then subtract the distance, but leave the points.

Could you PM me your membership number and year you were looking at so I can take a look?  It should totally ignore AAA points.  Pink is used to designate 50k rides.