Author Topic: [HAMR] Jan 1st  (Read 5616 times)

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
[HAMR] Jan 1st
« on: 25 December, 2014, 10:07:41 am »
The current plans for the day are

1 Steve starts from home at 00.01 - he says he will be so excited that he will not be able to sleep in which case he might as well get a few miles in.

I am not sure which way he is heading ( we might be able to come up with a few places he will pass thru -- but timing might be difficult to forecast - but the second known target is to arrive 30 minutes or so before

2 North Bucks 10mile TT - start 10.00am --  the location from the North Bucks club page is

The 2015 New Year's Day '10' will be held on a revised version of the Stoke Hammond bypass course (F5d/10). Details below, along with the risk assessment. We start at 10am, entry is £2.50 for members, £3.00 for non-members.

There is a limit of 40 riders.

We believe that ITV will be there doing a little filming - with the possibility of a small slot in the National news later that day.

I hope that this gives Steve's supporters a chance to see him on the first day - and even after he has finished the TT he will still have another 2 or 3 hours riding - so there is a chance that you could get a few miles in with him  - BUT - he will be going his pace and there are no guarantees about his sociability.

But when you are really old!!! ---  if you want to be able to say -- that guy Steve Abraham broke the world record for distance in 2015 -- I rode with him on the first day - now is your chance

Roger

I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Re: Jan 1st
« Reply #1 on: 25 December, 2014, 10:10:26 am »
What if you are already really old....?

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #2 on: 25 December, 2014, 10:20:25 am »
Then you can say it now !!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 25 December, 2014, 11:36:54 am »
I guess that all of the TT slots will be filled by club members but it'd be fun to be there anyway.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 25 December, 2014, 12:01:18 pm »
I'd quite like to cheer the chap away from the very start - is this a possibility?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #5 on: 25 December, 2014, 01:28:24 pm »
As far as I know - that is OK with Steve - but if he comes back with a  "please leave me alone until later "  then the answer would be No.

« Reply #6 on: 26 December, 2014, 10:17:31 pm »
I'd normally expect around a dozen riders on the New Years day 10, so there should be room for others.

ITV news want to interview me and I've suggested via my team who are in contact with them, that if they want me to hang around for a few minutes, hey should bribe me with food and tea. The start time of the 10 mile TT is 10am, so I'd be 10 hours into the first day by then and most likely be wanting to stop (probably for the 2nd time)

I'll be doing something like a 50 mile or so loop twice before the 10 and get there early. I'd ride around the course a few times while I wait to start.

After the TT and interview, I suggest a ride to Yates pub in Bicester. This is about 20 miles away from the 10 mile TT if you take the most direct route.
I'd want to get there at around 3pm, so would take a longer route to get there. So we could have a short and easy route and anyone wanting to go a bit faster (I predict about 14mph average) can do a longer ride with me. Better still if both groups are in touch with each other so I can tell someone riding with me our ETA at Yates and they can order food for me before I get there.

If you're riding with me, you'd need to be ready to go before 10:45.
I don't expect to be fast on the 10 mile TT so will try and start 1st. Add on an interview with ITV, which I'll be trying to keep very short and I hope to be away at around 10:45 though may not get away until 11am.
If you ride with me, please be aware that it will be very unlikely that I'd wait for you if you are struggling to keep up or something goes wrong with your bike, though someone else riding with me may well do.

« Reply #7 on: 26 December, 2014, 10:42:54 pm »

If you ride with me, please be aware that it will be very unlikely that I'd wait for you if you are struggling to keep up or something goes wrong with your bike, though someone else riding with me may well do.

Thats a shame, after all, you will have 75,000 (SEVENTY FIVE THOUSAND!!!!!) miles to make up the lost time.  ;D ;D ;D

(I am of course joking)
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #8 on: 27 December, 2014, 11:36:37 am »
If Steve would like to visit the Little Chef at Marston Moretaine, then I would happily pay for his breakfast as I will be staying overnight at the Travelodge next door (Wed 31st).  I believe that they open from 7am every day for breakfast, so should be enough time to get from there to the time trial.

PM me if interested with preferred time Steve.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #9 on: 27 December, 2014, 04:46:41 pm »
Who else is looking at this and wondering how they can manage family and wishing Steve all the best on new years day?  ???
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 27 December, 2014, 05:03:35 pm »
Well ...  I have a free pass for NYD (N will be under the duvet most of it). So I'm mainly wondering if I can get on the road by 0800 to make it for his TV interview. Massive background heckling oppo!
(about 40 miles, so 2.5h in winter - may well get a SW-erly to blow me there. If it's blowing a 10ms Northerly - or hissing down - I shall stay in bed!) Luckily I'm too old for extensive NYE boozing,  but I'm not getting any better at early starts ...  :-\

I love the idea of the midnight sendoff, but that would mean getting home on the bike after 0230h,  I don't have the  gumption for that.

( Let me know if you fancy joining forces somehow BB; not simple, but feasible.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #11 on: 27 December, 2014, 05:37:46 pm »
I'd like to be there, but it won't be possible unless I tranquillise the family ;D
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #12 on: 27 December, 2014, 07:32:54 pm »
I might be able to get to Bicester but would ride there from home rather than via the TT and just pop into the pub for some food at (hopefully!!) the same time. I was going to do parkrun that day but that can wait a couple of days to the Saturday, there really is no need for me to do 3 in a week so will try and get up there instead :) Very exciting that it's so close now Steve

I will be nowhere other than my bed at 00.01 when you're off burning up the roads!!

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #13 on: 27 December, 2014, 11:17:46 pm »
I doubt I'll be there on New Years Day, it's my 15th wedding anniversary.  ;D
But I'm hoping to get to MK to drop off some goodies for Steve before then.
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #14 on: 28 December, 2014, 10:43:23 am »
Who else is looking at this and wondering how they can manage family and wishing Steve all the best on new years day?  ???

On the other hand, it might be nice for those who don't have social family occasions to have something they can be a part of. There's still another 364 days to go, so lots to chose from.

At least the send off is no longer at midnight!

It'd be great if people could arrange meeting places with me and as many other cyclists as possible at cafes during the year and organise it with the route planner.
It will be very helpful, may get me some free food and cooked in advance, so I could do a feed in half an hour and be enjoyable for all involved.

« Reply #15 on: 28 December, 2014, 10:47:23 am »
If Steve would like to visit the Little Chef at Marston Moretaine, then I would happily pay for his breakfast as I will be staying overnight at the Travelodge next door (Wed 31st).  I believe that they open from 7am every day for breakfast, so should be enough time to get from there to the time trial.

PM me if interested with preferred time Steve.

Thanks.
I'll check the times of the Little Chef for NYD and if it's open at 7am, will plan a route to get there at 7:30, so you can order me an Olympic Breakfast and a cafetiere of coffee at around 7:20 while I ride up and down the old A421 (very good road) to get my arrival time spot on.

« Reply #16 on: 28 December, 2014, 10:50:42 am »
I might be able to get to Bicester but would ride there from home rather than via the TT and just pop into the pub for some food at (hopefully!!) the same time. I was going to do parkrun that day but that can wait a couple of days to the Saturday, there really is no need for me to do 3 in a week so will try and get up there instead :) Very exciting that it's so close now Steve

I will be nowhere other than my bed at 00.01 when you're off burning up the roads!!

The plan is for to arrive at Bicester at 3pm, so maybe you can do the Parkrun as well?

I may come in from the road from Long Crendon, so you may be able to ride with me into Bicester. I expect to average around 14mph. I'll be slow up hills but might be pretty quick going down them.

« Reply #17 on: 28 December, 2014, 01:50:37 pm »
Alas I'm in Germany until the 2nd so can't make it.  If I was around, I'd have loved to have come along for the send-off and also to have ridden the TT.   

I have put a note on the Time Trialling Forum to say that Steve is kicking off on 1 Jan and riding the event, and that it would be good to have a decent field of riders if a club TT is going to make it onto TV as the backdrop to Steve's interview. 

« Reply #18 on: 28 December, 2014, 02:50:41 pm »
Alas I'm in Germany until the 2nd so can't make it.  If I was around, I'd have loved to have come along for the send-off and also to have ridden the TT.   

Never mind. Hopefully this time next year we'll be planning a big celebration and you'll have more notice.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #19 on: 29 December, 2014, 02:13:34 am »
Steve
I have great admiration for 'what you are about to XXXXXXX' and sincerely hope that you can sustain the enthusiasm and fitness to soldier on safely. I am behind you all the way and could even meet you at Yates in Bicester, if I elect to ride my Banbury Cross 200 Perm, where Bicester is at 105km on the A/C circuit, so 6hrs into my ride and Yates would be a comfortable 1/2 way meal break/warm up. I will watch this space and see if I can squeeze a pass from Shirley.

I have set up a SO to help keep you going and can offer you a free ride on my Cheltenham Flyer 200, which could be a 250mile day from MK on Sat 14 March but I note that might not suit your current Calendar.

A flock of AUKs is willing you on.

Yours AUK1369
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #20 on: 30 December, 2014, 01:03:41 pm »
2 North Bucks 10mile TT - start 10.00am --  the location from the North Bucks club page is

The 2015 New Year's Day '10' will be held on a revised version of the Stoke Hammond bypass course (F5d/10). Details below, along with the risk assessment. We start at 10am, entry is £2.50 for members, £3.00 for non-members.
Roger

Is there a specific start location or is it just head for the Stoke Hammond bypass and look for the start scrum.
cheers

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #21 on: 30 December, 2014, 01:16:52 pm »
Course map here: http://robertsaunders.org.uk/northbucksroadclub.org.uk/
As the start/finish are less than 200m apart, I'm ASSUMING the sign-on/parking is roughly in the same place.

Meanwhile: good weather news! Mild weather approacheth, dawn should be 5'c+. I'm running out of excuses!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #22 on: 30 December, 2014, 02:11:05 pm »
Are you riding down Jack? I have half a mind to race in which case I'll drive down but riding down to spectate is an alternate option.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #23 on: 30 December, 2014, 02:41:51 pm »
Yes planning to ride down to witness history in the making  ;D as the ice looks like its clearing. Should be on pub ride NYE to sort out if you fancy it.

« Reply #24 on: 30 December, 2014, 03:56:15 pm »
Start location is on Steve's website.