Author Topic: [HAMR] Publicity  (Read 65317 times)

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
[HAMR] Publicity
« on: 31 December, 2014, 07:42:03 pm »
Might be a good idea if someone started a Publicity thread. Absolutely NOTHING in today's (delivered dated 1 Jan 15) Cycling Weekly. And they are supposed to be at the Heart of British Cycling. Though, they seem to be re-naming themselves 'British Sportive Cycling'.

Bet, when they get wind of the enormity of Steve's achievements, they will swing to an Audax-recognising paper! That is, if they identify how Steve has trained over the past 20+ years, and not just concentrate of his 24hrTTs.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Re: Publicity
« Reply #1 on: 31 December, 2014, 07:44:09 pm »
That comic should be renamed Sportive Weekly. That's why I ceased buying it yonks ago.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2 on: 31 December, 2014, 08:28:43 pm »
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #3 on: 31 December, 2014, 09:11:15 pm »
Most odd given that it was 'Cycling' that started this whole year stuff off in 1911?  ??? But then again the new (?!?) incarnation of the comic is all about 'trends' and fashion, note how they got on the back of the 'Everesting' bit  :-\

Maybe as the year gets older and Steve racks the miles up the mainstream will get behind him but probably won't see this until much later. Though an update every now and again in the comic would be nice!!

« Reply #4 on: 31 December, 2014, 11:23:59 pm »
Excellent news piece.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #5 on: 01 January, 2015, 08:12:56 am »
Is Citoyen's new mag going to cover it?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 01 January, 2015, 08:24:32 am »
The mentioned bread and milk on Ch4 but TG was actually a veggie, which probably makes it slightly more difficult given the amount of chicken that long distance riders usually eat to repair their muscles.  Carbs aren't a problem, obviously, but taking in that much protein from beans and pulses probably leaves a visible exhaust plume along the road  ;D

(Veggies...I'm joking)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7 on: 01 January, 2015, 10:53:48 am »
The mentioned bread and milk on Ch4 but TG was actually a veggie, which probably makes it slightly more difficult given the amount of chicken that long distance riders usually eat to repair their muscles.  Carbs aren't a problem, obviously, but taking in that much protein from beans and pulses probably leaves a visible exhaust plume along the road  ;D

(Veggies...I'm joking)

When I first read that, I interpreted TG as TeethGrinder, which confused me for a couple of seconds.

Tommy Goodwin / Teeth Grinder = TG has to be an auspicious coincidence. :)
Actually, it is rocket science.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 01 January, 2015, 09:33:29 pm »
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9 on: 01 January, 2015, 09:47:56 pm »
Is Citoyen's new mag going to cover it?

Unlikely. Not a newsy mag so not sure what the angle would be, tbh. Maybe we could give him some mentions on social media perhaps. CW should definitely give him some coverage in print though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #10 on: 02 January, 2015, 01:25:01 pm »
Feb Cycling +, The Hub, Pedal-O-Meter, p.40, Steve gets the top spot.

« Reply #11 on: 02 January, 2015, 01:28:44 pm »
http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/new-year-revolutions-chucking-in-the-job-to-cycle-more/017279 includes one of HK's on-the-road photos.

Podcaster and touring cyclist Jack Thurston said Abraham’s “homespun endeavour” is “as crazy as it is beautiful.” He added: “It goes beyond extreme physical endurance. It’s an existential quest with shades of mysticism about it.”

They haven't been taking Idai seriously have they?

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #12 on: 02 January, 2015, 01:48:05 pm »
Nigeria Book: Providing Daily News Updates to Nigerians - Cyclist aims for 120K km — this year

Essentially not much more than a link to the CNN article, but still.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #13 on: 02 January, 2015, 05:19:06 pm »
I visited Steve at his home just before Christmas, and interviewed him at some length for The Bike Show. Should be out in January sometime. I also wrote this for the Brooks blog, from which the BikeBiz piece lifted the quote about mysticism:

http://blog.brooksengland.com/wps/ride-eat-sleep-repeat-x-365/

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #14 on: 02 January, 2015, 05:24:01 pm »
jack,
Your piece was noted and has already been posted on YACF. Somewhere.  :thumbsup:

I shamelessly stole your photo for use here:
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=87178.msg1787184#msg1787184
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #15 on: 02 January, 2015, 05:40:37 pm »
Might be a good idea if someone started a Publicity thread. Absolutely NOTHING in today's (delivered dated 1 Jan 15) Cycling Weekly. And they are supposed to be at the Heart of British Cycling. Though, they seem to be re-naming themselves 'British Sportive Cycling'.

Bet, when they get wind of the enormity of Steve's achievements, they will swing to an Audax-recognising paper! That is, if they identify how Steve has trained over the past 20+ years, and not just concentrate of his 24hrTTs.
Whoever is doing Steve's publicity should contact Cycling Weekly directly with press releases,  progress updates etc, if not already doing so. They seem to rely on their 'usual contacts' for news.
As an example, members of Kingston Wheelers sent them news and reports (of an American cyclist who was at the sharp end of PBP last time) which were published. I wonder if anyone here regularly send them updates re the audax scene?
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #16 on: 02 January, 2015, 05:44:03 pm »
Podcaster and touring cyclist Jack Thurston said Abraham’s “homespun endeavour” is “as crazy as it is beautiful.” He added: “It goes beyond extreme physical endurance. It’s an existential quest with shades of mysticism about it.”

I think Jack has it spot on. The more I think about what Tommy G accomplished in 1939 and what TG is attempting now, the more I can't get my head around the enormity of the task, with so little room for lost time, and all the potential unwanted places it could take you either physically of psychologically along the way. Different world.
Garry Broad

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17 on: 02 January, 2015, 05:48:36 pm »
Good to hear from you again, Jack. When are we going to succeed in talking you into doing a longer Audax? The Bryan Chapman would be a good choice now that you are living in that part of the world.

Would you like to interview Steve on the bike sometime? Damon learned a long time ago that you need quiet roads and a good cover for the microphone.

« Reply #18 on: 02 January, 2015, 06:49:44 pm »
Good to hear from you again, Jack. When are we going to succeed in talking you into doing a longer Audax? The Bryan Chapman would be a good choice now that you are living in that part of the world.

Would you like to interview Steve on the bike sometime? Damon learned a long time ago that you need quiet roads and a good cover for the microphone.

Steve and I did talk about that - would be good. I've done plenty of 'rolling interviews' for the podcast. I'll be keeping an eye on Steve's tracking and schedule to figure out when he'll be headed my way, look as though he's got some overnights planned in the Gloucester/Bristol area.  And maybe Cardiff too. Who's the best liaison person on his team to arrange something?

As for my audaxing, I just don't have sufficient spare time on the bike. All the riding I did in 2014 was in pursuit of the next volume of Lost Lanes. One day I'd love to have a tilt at the Bryan Chapman. It would be a really big challenge for me. All the reports I've read have been glowing.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #19 on: 02 January, 2015, 07:50:19 pm »
Pick a dry year for the BCM600. The stories won't be as 'epic' but the ride'll be a lot more enjoyable

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #20 on: 06 January, 2015, 11:23:24 pm »
Reference on the latest GCN video blog (along with a horrifically low res copy of a photo of Steve - or is that just my laptop?)
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #21 on: 06 January, 2015, 11:27:47 pm »
Reference on the latest GCN video blog (along with a horrifically low res copy of a photo of Steve - or is that just my laptop?)

It's not your laptop, Steve does actually look like that. And after only six days.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #22 on: 07 January, 2015, 04:02:28 am »

I think Jack has it spot on. The more I think about what Tommy G accomplished in 1939 and what TG is attempting now, the more I can't get my head around the enormity of the task, with so little room for lost time, and all the potential unwanted places it could take you either physically of psychologically along the way. Different world.

Reminds me of reading this article about Tehching Hsieh.

Some podcasts have had success interviewing by phoning through to riders using Cardo headset. Maybe a useful technique if more interviews come up as the year progresses. (And, maybe just useful for conversations back to home or others to provide some isolation-busting conversation from time to time)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #23 on: 07 January, 2015, 03:34:31 pm »
Journalist Ned Boulting mentioned Steve on Twitter (he’s @nedboulting) two days ago and also a bit on Tommy Goodwin’s record.  He’s probably going to keep an interest and he’s more knowledgeable and positive about cycling than some other cycling journalists.  Maybe if people asked nicely him and/or Chris Boardman might give Steve’s ride a shout out during the ITV Tour de France coverage later this year?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #24 on: 07 January, 2015, 05:50:15 pm »

Reminds me of reading this article about Tehching Hsieh.

O M F G

I'd heard a little about that guy but had no idea how far he'd pushed things. Breaking his legs for "art"? Insane.

The simple difference between that nonsense and the year record is that Steve is doing something enjoyable and health-enhancing. His aim is to promote a healthy (often sociable) activity - not show the world how to be miserable for a year.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles