Author Topic: [HAMR] The Tommy Godwin record thread for things too unimportant ....  (Read 47988 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: The Tommy Godwin record thread for things too unimportant ....
« Reply #25 on: 04 January, 2015, 10:13:40 pm »
He lives in Richmond, but is cycling down under at the moment. Nothing to do with Strava
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #26 on: 04 January, 2015, 10:14:41 pm »

He's based in the UK but riding on Adelaide.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #27 on: 05 January, 2015, 02:39:05 pm »
I think Steve will be riding PBP?
If so, will there be people 'looking after' him?  Easing him through controls, jumping food queues, etc?
Or is that not allowed, due to it being a nordax and all?  Self sufficiently and all that.  How's it going to work?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #28 on: 05 January, 2015, 02:42:31 pm »
Discussions are in progress to work out how Steve's potential delays can be minimised.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #29 on: 05 January, 2015, 02:47:24 pm »
Discussions are in progress to work out how Steve's potential delays can be minimised.

A wonderfully diplomatic response, LWB.   :thumbsup:

Hush up for a bit, Basil.  :)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #30 on: 05 January, 2015, 03:05:52 pm »
I must be doing it wrong. I'm not known for being diplomatic.

« Reply #31 on: 05 January, 2015, 03:19:59 pm »
Accidental diplomacy can be excused. If you'd done it deliberately, we'd all be wondering what had happened to the real LWaB.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #32 on: 05 January, 2015, 03:54:34 pm »
If so, will there be people 'looking after' him?  Easing him through controls, jumping food queues, etc?
I think 750 miles in 3 days, which is a fairly normal PBP schedule for a strong-ish unsupported rider, would be a decent return for the time spent.  The real problem is the time lost before the start, but I imagine a bit of diplomacy could help sort that out (helpers to log the bike through and 'sign in', while Steve is off riding bike No.2 to Mortagne and back, that sort of thing).  Likewise, if Steve's attempt is demonstrably going to plan, I would have thought qualification might be waived too (it's been done before).
And it's perfectly possible to ride a 'lonely' PBP with very little or no queues at all.  One year when Sheila and I rode together, at one control (I think it was Loudeac of all unlikely places) we literally were the only two riders in the entire control.  We did this by setting off with the fast group, and dropping off the back - the next group behind us were the 90h starters and that year we had a 6-hour start on them.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #33 on: 06 January, 2015, 10:25:47 am »
Trackleaders seems to no longer be displaying miles to date.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #34 on: 06 January, 2015, 10:32:56 am »
Trackleaders seems to no longer be displaying miles to date.

As mentioned in other threads, trackleaders is shortest distance between the (infrequent) points and therefore is under reporting by about 8% a day. This difference is cumulative and therefore the total mileage to date on the trackleaders site is becoming less and less accurate and has been removed because it is causing confusion. Yes it is annoying not to be able to see the live distance covered but the difference is causing so many questions that the team can't justify showing an inaccurate figure.

ETA: it should be noted that the approximate distance can still be seen in the distance speed graph shown below the map, due to the scale of the axis this is probably approximate enough not to raise questions in comparison with the accurate distance travelled as logged by the GPS and uploaded to Strava.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #35 on: 06 January, 2015, 10:36:15 am »
Yes, Fidgetbuzz mentioned somewhere on here that they'd removed it because its inaccuracy was confusing people.

Chris S

« Reply #36 on: 06 January, 2015, 12:25:31 pm »
Just out of interest, is Steve getting input from a nutritionist at all?

Clearly - he's well into high energy-density foods which is great (can't believe KFC or McDs aren't sponsors yet!), but that's different to good nutrition. He's got to be giving his immune system a right battering, and it's surely important to keep that well fed too. Is he taking any supplements or anything?

« Reply #37 on: 06 January, 2015, 12:35:39 pm »

...can't believe KFC or McDs aren't sponsors yet

I don't think the appeal is there for their normal customer demographic.  :demon:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #38 on: 06 January, 2015, 12:39:29 pm »
I think 750 miles in 3 days, which is a fairly normal PBP schedule for a strong-ish unsupported rider, would be a decent return for the time spent.  The real problem is the time lost before the start, but I imagine a bit of diplomacy could help sort that out (helpers to log the bike through and 'sign in', while Steve is off riding bike No.2 to Mortagne and back, that sort of thing).  Likewise, if Steve's attempt is demonstrably going to plan, I would have thought qualification might be waived too (it's been done before).
And it's perfectly possible to ride a 'lonely' PBP with very little or no queues at all.  One year when Sheila and I rode together, at one control (I think it was Loudeac of all unlikely places) we literally were the only two riders in the entire control.  We did this by setting off with the fast group, and dropping off the back - the next group behind us were the 90h starters and that year we had a 6-hour start on them.

I'm sure the team are considering all options, but I wonder if the 84 hour group might give the best compromise for Steve; it'll give an early start which is what he is used to anyway, rather than missing a night's sleep from the start. It'll then allow him to ride in more or less the same way that he is riding every day (i.e. ride in the day, sleep at night), plus allow him to get miles in the day before as well as the day of the bike check/registration...there's so much faffing around involved with PBP that I could completely understand if he decided to forego it altogether.

It puts it all into perspective that really PBP is just one little section of this massive challenge, rather than the massive challenge itself that it is for most riders!

« Reply #39 on: 06 January, 2015, 12:50:56 pm »
I would have suggested the 84h group as well. It would make it easier for Steve to put in a string of 3x400k days (250 miles). Probably a little shorter than he might like to be doing for that time of year. However, it gives him a bit of lattitude for control bulges, weather, mechanicals etc. It then means he'll be relatively rested for the return journey and to crack on with his record efforts.

I'm hoping that the PBP organisers will be keen to support Steve's efforts by offering a fast track bike check and registration, perhaps while he has some lunch.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #40 on: 06 January, 2015, 12:56:02 pm »
Discussions with ACP are ongoing. What actually happens is Steve's decision ultimately.

« Reply #41 on: 06 January, 2015, 01:19:34 pm »
Just out of interest, is Steve getting input from a nutritionist at all?

Clearly - he's well into high energy-density foods which is great (can't believe KFC or McDs aren't sponsors yet!), but that's different to good nutrition. He's got to be giving his immune system a right battering, and it's surely important to keep that well fed too. Is he taking any supplements or anything?

Chris raises a very good point.

Might be worth a thread on it's own.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #42 on: 06 January, 2015, 03:47:18 pm »
He's based in the UK but riding on Adelaide.

I had a look a one of his rides today: 232km with 249m elevation - that's flat!

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #43 on: 06 January, 2015, 03:55:38 pm »
WTF is Jenny?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #44 on: 06 January, 2015, 04:05:50 pm »
Hoppo's girlfriend and a replacement in the support team.

« Reply #45 on: 06 January, 2015, 04:14:35 pm »
WTF is Jenny?

That's her at 1.14, coming through the Prees Heath roundabout on the Mersey Roads 24 2014 in this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ_azKRsBT4

Hoppo mentions her doing PBP with him from 8.32.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #46 on: 06 January, 2015, 04:34:49 pm »
Surely the time spent crossing the channel will be an irksome delay for steve? It will be time wasted, n'est-ce pas?
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #47 on: 06 January, 2015, 04:39:48 pm »
Some crossings are quite short and Steve stops for meals and sleep anyway. He does want to do PBP if he can but not at the expense of the record.

« Reply #48 on: 06 January, 2015, 04:40:59 pm »
Promotion email from Travelodge: "52 WEEKS AHEAD. MAKE THEM  COUNT!"

Chris S

« Reply #49 on: 06 January, 2015, 04:43:56 pm »
He just needs to sync up with a support someone at the Chunnel terminal, and cross in their car. Could probably be optimised down to only an hour or so break.