Author Topic: PBP: How much will you spend?  (Read 1759 times)

PBP: How much will you spend?
« on: 25 March, 2015, 09:34:13 pm »
What are people budgeting for PBP?

All up cost calculation for food, accommodation (at start/finish as well as along the way), travel, comfort (showers etc) and contingency?

I'm going in blind, and have no idea. Getting some ideas of the two extremes of budget would be immensely helpful

Thanks in advance!

Re: PBP: How much will you spend?
« Reply #1 on: 26 March, 2015, 10:28:11 am »
Last time I would guess I spent £3-400. 
That would be the relatively low option.  I cycled out via Newhaven-Dieppe ferry, camped, took the Eurostar home and bought a food for a week, at the restaurants, controls and supermarkets. 

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 26 March, 2015, 10:32:59 am »
Can't remember. Do remember getting more out of a ATM on the 3rd day.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #3 on: 26 March, 2015, 10:42:33 am »
So far, I'd guess I am at the longer end of the budget.

Hotel at start/finish - £350
Hotel along the way (Loudeac * 2 nights) - £100

I'll sort out travel some time soon - decide how many days to take getting there and back, that will sort of decide how much I might spend on that - but certainly another £300 with ferries and hotels.

On the ride - probably spent around £100-150 last time?  I really can't remember.  Food in controls wasn't cheap, but wasn't insane (and was fast and generally pretty good) - I think I would typically spend 10 to 15 Euros in a control where I wanted hot food, pudding, drinks and a snack for the road.  Depending on the kind of ride I go for this time, I'd like to sample more restaurants, patisseries and cafes this time.

It's not a cheap bike ride, though camping etc. your way down there and back etc. will minimise the costs.  I think you'd struggle to do it on much less than Frank's amount above (and that probably doesn't include the £100 or whatever of entry fee?).  Of course, the strength of Sterling/weakness of the Euro may make it somewhat easier this year.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #4 on: 26 March, 2015, 10:57:47 am »
You will probably spend more than you expect so carry more than you will expect to spend.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #5 on: 26 March, 2015, 11:39:23 am »
So far I've used/allocated £141.00, which includes ferry out, Eurostar with bike back and PBP entry fee.

I had a free Eurostar voucher to use up for the trip home.

I'm on a tight budget and will be camping all the way. If I can do it all for sub £350 I'll be very happy.

I'm not into spending big money on going for a bike ride, but I have spent a bit on camping gear lately and I plan to recuperate that in savings on hotels, which I don't generally like staying in anyway (done too much hotel/restaurant for work to put me off for good).

So I'm left with £209 for food and a few campsites, which should be doable, unless I meet up with the YACF/AUK Euro Audax Social Club on the way round for a meal.

« Reply #6 on: 26 March, 2015, 01:20:46 pm »
On the ride itself, last time I had €100 from my mum & €100 Tuggo gave me, I finished with about €60 change. I did get fed for free at Corlay both ways though, so didn't eat at Loudeac.

« Reply #7 on: 26 March, 2015, 05:05:15 pm »
My Eurotunnel, fuel and accommodation costs are also for a family holiday I would have anyway, so no extra cost.

I will probably take about €200 with me on the ride itself, but expect to only spend half of that at the most as I will carry enough food from the start to get me to Brest. The rest is a contingency for any unforeseen expenses. In 2011 I only took €80 and had to spend €30 on a new tyre quite early on. I still just managed as I was carrying more than enough food for the whole ride and didn't use the sleeping or showering facilities.

« Reply #8 on: 27 March, 2015, 08:35:08 am »
There is always the possibility that you may have mechanical problems on the ride.   Although the mechanics at the controls do not make a charge to the rider for their time, you will have to pay for any parts which are necessary.
In 2003 it cost me approx £50 for the only available wheel rim (no complaints as it was top quality) when mine became unrideable and in 2007 about the same for a decent rain jacket as the showerproof (summer?) thing I started out with was totally inadequate given the conditions.
You should have the means available to cover such eventualities.

« Reply #9 on: 27 March, 2015, 12:38:01 pm »
I'll book the ferry in May so probably too much for that.

Two nights Novotel accomodation before the start £120
Buying food, bits and bobs before the start, evening meal for two, etc £75
Food on the ride £20 per day budgeted £80
Couple of days camping afterwards with meals and stuff £100
Fuel costs for the van for the trip £200 at least

We were skiing in Austria earlier this year so I scrupulously saved all the 5 euro notes we got in change so most of that £80 is already set.

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #10 on: 29 March, 2015, 10:18:34 pm »
I think I spent about 250 euros last time, including eating a full meal at every control. Drove over so ferry and a hotel at each end was probably another £400.

This time I'll take the same, plus a bit for a taxi after Mortagne on the way back just to get past those b****y hills.
Mojo is being awakened.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #11 on: 31 March, 2015, 09:35:50 pm »
There is always the possibility that you may have mechanical problems on the ride.   Although the mechanics at the controls do not make a charge to the rider for their time, you will have to pay for any parts which are necessary.
In 2003 it cost me approx £50 for the only available wheel rim (no complaints as it was top quality) when mine became unrideable and in 2007 about the same for a decent rain jacket as the showerproof (summer?) thing I started out with was totally inadequate given the conditions.
You should have the means available to cover such eventualities.

+1  In 2007 I had an unbudgeted €90 on a  new saddle in Brest after I had broken a saddle rail about 20km out of Carhaix.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #12 on: 31 March, 2015, 11:18:25 pm »
No idea...as much as I need to :D
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #13 on: 01 April, 2015, 08:57:03 am »
We were skiing in Austria earlier this year so I scrupulously saved all the 5 euro notes we got in change so most of that £80 is already set.

You realise that isn't free money right?
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #14 on: 01 April, 2015, 09:02:51 am »
You do know they only accept French euros in France?