Author Topic: [HAMR] Steve ends his second attempt  (Read 22896 times)

Re: Steve ends his second attempt
« Reply #25 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:53:46 am »
Very well done indeed, Steve, your achievement is truly inspiring.

And of course the biggest problem was the interface with the moped that broke Steve's legend.

« Reply #26 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:57:11 am »
A sad decision but a correct one. I, like many others on this forum, have been worried about Steve's health/performance over recent weeks.

Unfortunately, Steve, the fates have conspired against you. If it hadn't been for the scooter rider, I'm sure you could have fought your way through all the other problems to Tommy's total. But to restart when you weren't in peak condition was just too much. But maximum chapeau to you! As an ex-mileater, I know perfectly well that even at my peak I wouldn't even have got close to what you achieved.

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #27 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:58:17 am »
A difficult choice but the right one.
You still have a PB for the year which was pretty awesome considering you broke a few bones on the way.
looking forward to catching up on a sunny ride somewhere.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #28 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:59:37 am »
60-odd thousand miles in a year, inspired a whole new generation of record attempts, as well of many of us in more mundance endeavours, whatever you decide to do next, wish you good fortune.  And +1 to so many of the comments above.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #29 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:00:12 am »
I feel immensely sad for Steve and to bring the attempt to an end must be an immensely difficult time. No-one can have any doubt that Steve pushed himself extremely hard, even more so than usual in recent days, in order to base his decision on what is achievable.

Have a good rest Steve.

« Reply #30 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:02:07 am »
Rest up Steve ready for Jan 1st 2017  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #31 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:03:01 am »
British Cycling Legend... as simple as that.

« Reply #32 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:04:09 am »
Congratulations Steve on everything you've achieved, an amazing effort. It might seem awful giving up but hopefully in reflection you'll see it was the right decision. Take some time to recuperate, think about what you've done and be proud.

« Reply #33 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:04:34 am »
Great achievement Steve. Like many I was proud of the way you took on a challenge many of us could only read about. A truly great achievement in this day and age to cycle that distance day after day in all weathers.
Like so many who supported you both financially and in spirit take care, sleep well and do not be afraid to ask for our help.
Thank you.

« Reply #34 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:06:15 am »
Well done Steve, astonishing effort and you should be very proud of everything you achieved.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #35 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:06:49 am »
To have come this far is inspirational and audacious, so +1 on the "well done Steve". I'm sure it must have been a decision that took time to reach. Enjoy the rest.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #36 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:07:17 am »
You have a UCMA record Steve, and what's more, one achieved with the hindrance of a broken ankle received during it. Bloody amazing and one that will probably never be broken!

Really sorry to hear it's over for now, but I'll certainly support you in future attempts.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #37 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:09:51 am »
Well done Steve.

You've shown all of us you're amazing and made us proud with your stoic dedication riding through the English seasons.

Plenty of time for another attempt and, more importantly, plenty of time to rest, recupurate and leave the entire thing behind to ride something far more interesting that A roads. That TCR really does look outstanding this year!

Freedom from the shackles of HAMR. Don't regret it, enjoy it :)
Does not play well with others

simonp

« Reply #38 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:13:32 am »
The determination you've shown throughout has been an inspiration. Now take care of yourself.

« Reply #39 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:13:56 am »
Sad decision, but the right one I think Steve.  Wishing you the best for rest, recovery and whatever the future may hold for you.

+1
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #40 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:17:05 am »
I can't even imagine how hard it must have been to agree to ending the challenge, Steve.  Like every other aspect of the last year you tackled it with immense bravery and courage.  Truly inspirational.  The very best of luck with whatever else you decide to do (cycling and otherwise) in the coming months and years.
The sound of one pannier flapping

red marley

« Reply #41 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:17:50 am »
A wise and tough decision to make that will only enhance the respect given to you for making it.

I know that one of your aims has long been to encourage others to get on their bikes and enjoy what long distance cycling has to offer. Your contribution in rejuvenating the year record, in bringing attention to long distance cycling in mainstream cycling culture and to others who like to ride is unsurpassed. Whatever you decide to do in the future, that legacy will stay with you.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #42 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:19:13 am »
Good call Steve. I hope you can direct the fortitude you have shown in your record attempt towards getting over any disappointment you feel and remember you have let no one down.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #43 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:20:34 am »
You're still long distance cyclings' "favourite child".

Take a break.....have a KitKat.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #44 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:21:56 am »
Impressive.

Tough call.

You hero, Steve, I'll buy you a beer sometime.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #45 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:22:16 am »
Congratulations to Steve for the massive achievement of riding further in a year than anyone but three others ever, for the astonishing determination of both continuing following a broken ankle, and of restarting with the concurrent attempt, and of course for actually getting validation options in place that have triggered this resurgence in interest in the year records.

Chapeau, truly.

+1  Nothing further to add, but if you need anything just ask.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #46 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:28:34 am »
Absolutely the right decision. The analysis can wait for another time, but the respect in which Steve is held can only be increased by this brave and difficult decision to stop. What Steve has achieved, against quite awesome difficulties, is incredible - and, through bringing the record to life again, inspired Tarzan, Miles and Bruce to give it a go themselves. It's been an amazing year which has invigorated so many people's interest in cycling (and YACF!), and, for that, we all have much to be grateful to Steve for. Now I hope Steve gets a bloody good rest, a holiday, and time to decide what the future holds.

macnark

• Cake and Tea solves all.
« Reply #47 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:34:35 am »
Steve, you have done immensely well, essentially going it alone out on the road, which has to be the hardest, most brutal approach.

But you gave it a bloody good go, with admiration and respect earned all-round.

If you want to give it another go, I'd be more than happy to help out with financial support again - you clearly have what it takes !

Have a good rest and be bloody proud chap!

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #48 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:35:58 am »
Heroic effort. Well done Steve, the right decision under the circumstances.

« Reply #49 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:36:07 am »
That's a really nice q&a video too - great end to a brilliant effort