Author Topic: Another go .. TG??  (Read 64687 times)

dogtrousers

• Pantaloon
Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #600 on: October 31, 2017, 11:02:00 am »
If you're searching for sources of error, it's also worth noting that Strava rounds down to the nearest one decimal place.  That means that there's are loads of .0x miles that get trimmed off.  But they don't get trimmed off Strava's aggregated totals.
That is only a display feature.  It holds the exact mileage and uses that to calculate weekly/monthly/challenge totals.  You can see the data to 2dp through Veloviewer.
That's exactly my point.  If (as UMCA do) you just copy down the displayed truncated values and add them up you will be taking the rounded down values.  This will be less than the accrued total in Strava's yearly and monthly summaries.  Not much, but a little teeny bit.  Maybe what he wins on the dither he loses on the rounding.

« Reply #601 on: October 31, 2017, 03:35:52 pm »
Please do not take this the wrong way - and I am indeed impressed by any cyclist who goes out for a record particularly of of this magnitude - but is it possible that those who are posting on this thread about one man's cycling endeavour - and the exhaustingly minute details they provide of his mileages - need to get a life?

« Reply #602 on: October 31, 2017, 03:55:01 pm »
Swampthing said: "I always expected UMCA to have access to more detailed (tracker-)data, so that their official results should be derived by deeper examination (I expected this to be the reason for the sometimes huge delays of their official results)."

To be fair, UMCA - or the new name it operates under - is suffering from a diminishing number of volunteers and the one person who was handling the web site - Shu - is quitting, so you should not expect to see 'detailed tracker data' unless you want to volunteer to do it. Chris Hopkinson is the new president and I am sure he will welcome your stepping up to the job of web guru.

dogtrousers

• Pantaloon
« Reply #603 on: November 01, 2017, 05:10:15 pm »
Please do not take this the wrong way - and I am indeed impressed by any cyclist who goes out for a record particularly of of this magnitude - but is it possible that those who are posting on this thread about one man's cycling endeavour - and the exhaustingly minute details they provide of his mileages - need to get a life?
Not taken the wrong way at all ;)

Now, about those second and third decimal places that are truncated by Strava ...   ;D

« Reply #604 on: November 02, 2017, 01:26:05 pm »

I think the all AUK debate about Accumulated Altitude Awards (AAA to you and me) has gone a bit flat, so there is plenty of room at the bottom for a touch of "tetrapiloctomy" in a different context

« Reply #605 on: November 02, 2017, 03:04:12 pm »
"..tetrapiloctomy.."  ???

I had to look that up in the OED, couldn't find it though. Can you give me a hint?   ::-)

mattc

• "Hannibal"
  • n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #606 on: November 02, 2017, 03:07:05 pm »

I had to look that up in the OED, couldn't find it though. Can you give me a hint?   ::-)

Been there, done that:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tetrapiloctomy
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #607 on: November 02, 2017, 03:08:04 pm »
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #608 on: November 02, 2017, 04:31:29 pm »
"As the component parts come respectively from Greek, Latin and Greek it’s a miscegenated linguistic sandwich that no self-respecting scholar would invent, which is no doubt why Umberto Eco found it to be appropriate."

That's me then.  ;D

« Reply #609 on: November 02, 2017, 04:53:33 pm »
It's a good word... I've got more  8)

mattc

• "Hannibal"
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #610 on: November 02, 2017, 07:19:25 pm »
Your one sentence using that ridiculous word has led me to massively  upgrade my probability of ever reading an Umberto Eco book  ;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #611 on: November 02, 2017, 08:29:44 pm »
Your one sentence using that ridiculous word has lead me to massively  upgrade my chances of ever reading an Umberto Eco book  ;D

... as well as "Luther Blissett  Q"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_(novel)

mattc

• "Hannibal"
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #612 on: November 03, 2017, 08:19:03 am »
I think your URL lost a bracket:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_(novel)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #613 on: November 03, 2017, 11:37:05 am »
Your one sentence using that ridiculous word has led me to massively  upgrade my probability of ever reading an Umberto Eco book  ;D

I'm still reading one of his (Foucault's Pendulum). I think I started it back in 2001.

Dense is an understatement. I'd consider burning it but I'm worried that it would continue to heat my house not just through the entire winter but for many summers and winters to come.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #614 on: November 03, 2017, 02:16:02 pm »
There was a sex scene in one of his books I rather liked, forget which, but I could look it up if there is an interest.

Kim

• An appetite for the epic, but no real stamina
« Reply #615 on: November 03, 2017, 05:29:48 pm »
Meanwhile, how's Teethgrinder doing?  Last thing I heard he was suffering lurgy...
Watching the TV without subtitles is like riding up a hill without using the gears :)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #616 on: November 03, 2017, 09:06:57 pm »
Meanwhile, how's Teethgrinder doing?  Last thing I heard he was suffering lurgy...
erm don't you mean that lurgy is suffering a bout of Teethgrinder ?

« Reply #617 on: November 04, 2017, 06:39:23 am »

I'm still reading one of his (Foucault's Pendulum). I think I started it back in 2001.

Dense is an understatement. I'd consider burning it but I'm worried that it would continue to heat my house not just through the entire winter but for many summers and winters to come.

I never found translations particularly appealing. I was lucky enough to read Eco in Italian and in the "correct" cultural context. I have the same problem with English literature... when I read Dickens back in the days I thought he was mighty boring... translations are flat, plus the context of the dark and filthy Victorian cities was not something that meant anything to me, whilst surrounded by sun drenched vine growing hills

« Reply #618 on: November 04, 2017, 01:01:43 pm »
Just looked at Strava and it appears that Steve has now done 54180 miles which I assume is from the date he re-started his record bid on 4th March.

« Reply #619 on: November 04, 2017, 11:42:12 pm »
He posted on strava that the lurgy is getting worse.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #620 on: November 09, 2017, 03:04:59 pm »

Been there, done that:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tetrapiloctomy

Google's "Images" result for that is rather splendid.
I dare eat all that may become a man.

But hold the oysters.