Author Topic: [HAMR] Another women's HAM'R Challenger - Zuzanna Ciszewska  (Read 6306 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
[HAMR] Another women's HAM'R Challenger - Zuzanna Ciszewska
« on: 05 August, 2016, 11:13:36 am »
I just saw this:

http://www.ultracycling.com/wp_news/

I'm not sure how much credence to put to this as "Unlike Amanda however, Zuzanna will be fitting in her miles around her full time job at Rapha Racing" has shades of Ken Webb and I can't imagine how you could get anywhere close to the mileage that Amanda is cranking out and even contemplate working.  Despite the above risks - Go Zuzanna

Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Re: Another women's HAM'R Challenger - Zuzanna Ciszewska
« Reply #1 on: 05 August, 2016, 12:00:56 pm »
Zuzanna isn't trying to beat Amanda, she's aiming for about 31,000 miles or so.
I'm in two minds about how she will go. She has messaged me a few times about the HAMR and I had doubts that she'd even start, but she has. :)
She asked me if I thought her goal was achievable and I said, yes, but it'll be very difficult doing that mileage while working full time. What I didn't know was that she doesn't work on Wednesdays, which will make a big difference.
She'll be interesting to follow and is looking good so far.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 05 August, 2016, 01:27:18 pm »
It's a bit of an odd one, as she is very unlikely to beat Amanda, but is in the same category, so the chance of actually achieving an HAMR are pretty slim.
Getting there...

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #3 on: 05 August, 2016, 02:41:50 pm »
It's a bit of an odd one, as she is very unlikely to beat Amanda, but is in the same category, so the chance of actually achieving an HAMR are pretty slim.

Agreed, if the goal of the year is to beat the record.

I think that everyone of those who undertake the HAM'R do so as primarily an existential exercise.  The record is secondary to the life experience; and in this case the record is almost inconsequential.   Allez Zuzanna,

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #4 on: 05 August, 2016, 09:16:55 pm »
31,000 miles is still 5 years worth for me and I doubt I work five times harder than she does.  Chapeau for getting to the start and good luck for the ride.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

red marley

« Reply #5 on: 07 August, 2016, 06:43:07 pm »
She seems to be getting her miles in by doing an early commute from Erith, SE of London to Rapha HQ in Camden, adding some laps of Regent's Park in the morning then riding back in the evening. Lots of traffic lights I'd have thought on that route. Her daily totals for the first Monday-Friday have been 61, 57, 94, 59, and 55 miles. Nothing posted for the weekend yet. Unless she plans on putting in some big miles over each weekend, I'm not sure this will work for a Dovey-beating distance.

But good luck to her - it would be nice to see that a Dovey+ distance is achievable from those unable to take a year away from paid work.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 09 August, 2016, 02:46:28 pm »
Loads of traffic lights!  Fahzandz of 'em!

I wish her luck!
Getting there...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 09 August, 2016, 04:00:07 pm »
HK did about 30,000 km last year around a full-time job. She reckons that bumping up to 40,000km might be feasible for her, if prioritised over most of life's other distractions, but 50,000km would be very tough (too tough?) to achieve without time off work.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #8 on: 09 August, 2016, 09:50:53 pm »
I did read that Zuzanna only works 4 days a week and will also use her leave from work. I have managed 28,500 miles (45,000km) while working full time and doing that mostly entirely on Audax rides, shopping and commuting, which isn't the easiest way to do it. It wasn't in my interests to spread the load and pinch miles on my commute, unless I was going for a 200km DIY. So my rides were all loaded on the weekends or holidays. Spreading the load is much easier, as Pat Kenny did when he was cracking out over 50,000km a year while working full time.
It's definitely tough, but I think quite achievable, especially if you only work 4 days a week instead of 5.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 11 August, 2016, 01:32:00 pm »
Given who she works for, and the publicity it could generate, I would be surprised if they don't arrange some form of sabbatical for her.
Getting there...

red marley

« Reply #10 on: 11 August, 2016, 01:36:14 pm »
Unfortunately she is already 305 284* miles down on Dovey pace (she has ridden 506 527*miles in 10 days) so something is going to have to change radically and rapidly if she really wants to beat her distance. She may have been hoping to make up the miles on a weekend but was struck down with a cold this last one so perhaps not very representative so far. But conditions are currently verging on optimal at the moment both in terms of weather and London traffic.

*Another ride for Wednesday uploaded since my original post.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11 on: 11 August, 2016, 01:38:43 pm »
She will have to lift her game to match or beat Billie's total. The weather is currently good and I'm pretty sure that HK is racking up more distance so far.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #12 on: 11 August, 2016, 08:39:58 pm »
True.
But having bad luck this early is inevitably going to make it look very bad without a lot of rides behind her. She's been ill. I would say that if you're going to get ill during a year mileage ride, doing it at the beginning, when you're immune system is probably stronger than it would be for the rest of the year, is probably the best time to get ill.
She's also become single, as opposed to being in a relationship. I did wonder how her relationship would go during her attempt and whether it would hold out and if not, what would be left standing, the ride or the relationship.
So, yes, not looking good so far, but lots of time to make it up and probably best to get the bad stuff out of the way sooner rather than later.
Time will tell and it's very early days yet.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #13 on: 12 August, 2016, 04:21:54 am »
Time will tell and it's very early days yet.

So Shirley.
It is possible to reset.  Why not just stop the clock, get better and then start fresh?  She loses ~1000km.  No big deal.

Unless the record is really of no consequence.  Either way, I wish her the best.

Allez.

« Reply #14 on: 12 August, 2016, 10:09:21 am »
I did read that Zuzanna only works 4 days a week and will also use her leave from work. I have managed 28,500 miles (45,000km) while working full time and doing that mostly entirely on Audax rides, shopping and commuting, which isn't the easiest way to do it. It wasn't in my interests to spread the load and pinch miles on my commute, unless I was going for a 200km DIY. So my rides were all loaded on the weekends or holidays. Spreading the load is much easier, as Pat Kenny did when he was cracking out over 50,000km a year while working full time.
It's definitely tough, but I think quite achievable, especially if you only work 4 days a week instead of 5.

It could be OK if you can be sparko at work. I don't think Rapha are going to tolerate an employee not being up to speed because they are knackered from riding.  My mileage is in part limited by the fact that I have a responsible job and can't be half awake most of the time.

Pat was unusual in that he was a first class bike rider, had the constitution of a ox plus had Hazel supporting him. The stars don't come together like this very often.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 12 August, 2016, 11:31:14 am »
Sorry to hear her relationship has suffered.  That can't be easy for her.
Getting there...

« Reply #16 on: 12 August, 2016, 03:56:57 pm »

So Shirley.
It is possible to reset.  Why not just stop the clock, get better and then start fresh?  She loses ~1000km.  No big deal.

Unless the record is really of no consequence.  Either way, I wish her the best.

Allez.

Running a concurrent attempt might make more sense. Possibly.
It's $300 per attempt and you need to give at least 21 days notice, so she'd be starting early-mid September, the earliest.
Then what would be the best thing to do? Keep going hard until the re-start incase she has bad luck in the last month of the 2nd attempt, or cut down the mileage so that she is fresher for the re-start? Will her circumstances even allow her to start again a bit later?

« Reply #17 on: 13 August, 2016, 11:34:37 pm »
Oh no! Alicia just posted on FB that Zuzanna has been hit by a car, fractured nose, bike written off. She'll restart her attempt later in the year. Dreadful news. Alicia's note:

I just found out that Zanna from the UK who just started her HAMR attempt was hit by a car. She is alright for the most part other than some bruising, some stitches and a fractured nose. Her bike seems to be trashed, though. She told me she will restart her attempt again later this year. This is a reminder that anything can happen at anytime. I'm glad she is going to be okay and look forward to her restart. Take care Zanna!!!!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #18 on: 13 August, 2016, 11:36:43 pm »
GWS
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #19 on: 14 August, 2016, 06:29:16 am »
GWS

« Reply #20 on: 14 August, 2016, 07:31:18 am »
Get well Soon.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #21 on: 14 August, 2016, 07:42:53 am »
bit of a nightmare couple of weeks

GWS

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #22 on: 14 August, 2016, 09:40:54 am »
Bummer. GWS.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #23 on: 14 August, 2016, 05:06:54 pm »
:(  Bad news.  Hope she recovers well.
Getting there...

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #24 on: 15 August, 2016, 01:02:49 pm »
What they said

GWS